Hondo's Bar

R.I.P. Whitney Houston

The NZA

should we use fat elvis' vegas performances as an argument why big momma thorton doesn't get her due? because your argument's crazy but i like the world it creates.

similarly, you have a roommate who would tell you the beatles are the exception to everything.

i used to prefer the joe version too, but i came around to their take

when people outdo you on your own song, you usually don't talk about it much.

It doesn't hurt that she makes a pretty penny from being the original songwriter, year after year (not just a one-time fee). Otis Redding wrote Respect, but you don't see his estate complain that everyone thinks of it as Aretha Franklin's song.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Otis Redding didn't make it a part of his career singing respect. Kris Kristofferson did sing "Me and Bobby McGee" but when (outside of the Highwaymen) has anybody ever paid to listen to Kris Kristofferson sing anything?

I mean I won't pull out the obvious "it's only popular because of that stupid fucking movie" because I'm pretty sure Dolly premeried her version in "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" but it's not like her version was shockingly worse (or even worse at all for that matter.)

Not to mention, it's not hard to see who deserved to get more mileage out of it considering modern renditions:

Just saying, consistency > a flash in the pan in my opinion. In my eyes it would be like calling "I Am the Walrus" Bono's song for the cover he did of it in "Across the Universe."

Edited by Iambaytor

Dolly Parton is a very solid recording artist but it's often dwarfed by all the horrifying amounts of plastic surgery she's gotten over the years (I feel that Nick should be able to sympathize with liking a popular musician in spite of such things.) I'll admit Whitney can belt out that chorus with a lot more gusto as she doesn't have comically over-sized breasts weighing her lungs down but the rest of the song sounds better in the original version.

aw, agree to disagree i guess. i got nothing against dolly; you already namedropped best little whorehouse in texas anyway.

i was just saying id've defended any quality covers Winehouse did too, if they were quality - yeah, she was a hot mess at the end, so many blues/jazz/etc artists are though.