Hondo's Bar

2925mhg.jpg

source

Announced at Comic-Con International in San Diego, Brian K. Vaughan makes his long-awaited return to ongoing comics in 2012 with "Saga," a new science-fiction series for Image Comics.

"Saga" is an epic drama chronicling the life and times of one young family fighting to survive a never-ending war.

Co-created and illustrated by Fiona Staples, "Saga" is Vaughan's first ongoing series since his Eisner-winning "Ex Machina" came to a dramatic close last summer.

staples is no slouch either, check out her fan art:

tumblr_lb7ccfSsug1qclzbio1_500.jpg

HUGE SPOILER: the ending to this book will punch you in the balls

• 7 months later...

Starting a thread for this right now, on the first day of the first issue, because it's gonna need it.

Saga is the new book by Brian K. Vaughan (a.k.a. The Notorious BKV), creator of Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina, and it's pretty fuckin' fantastic. It seems to be one of those stories of a journey, at least for now.

The basic plot in a nutshell: although there are no real spoilers, I'm putting it under spoiler tags for people that want to go into the book totally blind (like I did).

There's been a war going on between the winged inhabitants of a planet and the horned inhabitants of their moon for countless years. The people of the planet seem to lean towards technology and robotics, and the people of the moon more towards magic. This war has swept up many other races and spilled across the galaxy.

A soldier from one side has fallen in love with a former soldier from the other, they deserted and had a baby. This is quite a crime, and now they're on the run.

Now since you read this spoiler, the next spoiler has a 3 page preview of the first issue. Painstakingly screen capped. Because I'm fucking awesome.

It reminds me of the first arc of Zot and a little Star Wars. It's good so far and you (yes, you) should read it.

JOCEBh.jpg

vYDtsh.jpg

VLQpth.jpg

iQeGP.jpg

• Like 1

I know you posted a pic of the cover on another thread, but I don't see it can't be in this one either. Peeps are gonna need to know the cover well if they're gonna have a chance to enjoy this amazing comic.

Saga_1_cvr-e1331791930362.jpg

Wow. Let me just say, I'm one issue in and I already hope this thing goes on for 100 issues... and beyond! I can already see a cable show and/or movie trilogy (hopefully without the addition of a sub par prequel trilogy) and/or CG anime on Cartoon Network. The comparisons to Star Wars are accurate. But I'd say it might even be cooler. I've been reading comics a loooong time and I've discovered some awesome stuff over the years, pimped it and been like a proud father when it goes viral. I also love when pimped to awesome shit, but this one will bug me that I didn't discover myself. Damn you, Logan.

Now that I've ultra hyped it, here's to hoping everyone likes it, as well, and it continues to do what the first issue did.

Edited by Panch

first time on the ground floor with BKV? buncha amateurs

got around to this one, and it's interesting so far - it's often tricky in sci-fi to make your own lore that's interesting enough that the readers enjoy the world around the story itself, but isn't so interesting as to constantly remind them of other stuff they've read/seen. sometimes, for me, it gets to where the lore piles on and i just don't give a shit (Poison Elves, few others), sometimes they never really get into it so it just feels like a big "What If" (Battle Chasers, etc).

This one had a good feeling going into it, but again, since it's Vaughn I'm not at all surprised. building up character (and then stomping on your heart) is pretty much what he does, so i'm down for the ride - it's just good to have him back.

first time on the ground floor with BKV? buncha amateurs

Right? I mean, I've certainly been aware as others were going on, but I've usually just waited and caught up with trades.

In the case of Ex-Machina, I stealthily borrowed 'Baytor's early copies from his then-fiance while he was still living out of state. I didn't want to say anything because lending out comics without permission is grounds to dissolve a relationship, but I figure now he's kinda stuck.

I stealthily borrowed 'Baytor's early copies from his then-fiance while he was still living out of state. I didn't want to say anything because lending out comics without permission is grounds to dissolve a relationship, but I figure now he's kinda stuck.

Son of a bitch!

I knew about that, though I was leery as I hate lending things out to people. Of course now I know that those trades were far safer in your hands than they ever were in hers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanna see more of her.... but for some reason I wanna see more of that seahorse fella also. I just like seeing all of these different species that look like they should be more graceful I guess, but are spewing out shit and fuck. This book is great so far.

Loving the series, BKV has yet to disappoint me, I really need to read beyond the first HC of Ex Machina tho.

The art has been great, curious to see just where the story is going tho.

Also, that blondie looks like the best Castlevania enemy never made.

• 5 months later...

This wait is driving me INSANE. 3 goddamn months for issue #7...it's killing me inside.

That said, I'd rather have a delay than a fill in artist. I'd never heard of Fiona Staples previously, but she really embodies the look of the book to me and I'm sure the quality of work takes time.

SO, in summary - quietly understanding, yet brimming with rage.

Too many feelings.

• 3 weeks later...

The artwork on this series is just beautiful.

I do have a problem with BKV in that sometimes all his characters sound like the same insecure teenage boy who is trying desperately to be politically correct - I should clarify that I've only read Y, Ex Machina and now this. I have Runaways lying around somewhere but have not read any yet.