Hondo's Bar

Logan aka the actual Last of Us

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen any of the trailers expect for the small girl who goes apeshit on the cashier...but firstly, when is this supposed to take place? Logan looks old...so how far or not far into the future is this? Is he not effectively immortal or is the imagined future that dull? Moving right along...I'm kinda disappointed with the current state of Logan's character. I miss the gruff, rough growly fellow from the Xmen movies. He's gotten kinda...soft. But this look like it might be a return to that gruffness.

After 55 counted reviews, Logan is currently sitting at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Here's a sample:

Bleeding Cool

Logan is the top tier X-Men movie we’ve been sorely lacking since the fantastically underrated X-Men: First Class. The characters are in the hands of people who understand and respect them, and between Logan and Legion it’s great to see the X-Men get the high quality content they deserve. Rating 9.5 out of 10

Empire

Yes, the Wolverine movie without 'Wolverine' in the title is definitely the best one yet: grown-up, ballsy, character-driven and grounded. It feels right that it should be the last one, but it also feels a bit of a shame. Rating: 4 stars out of 5

IGN

Logan is in many ways an emotional, heavy picture, but it’s also an uplifting one that reminds us that it’s O.K. to fight for something more, something better. It’s an amazing swan song for the Wolverine character, and for Jackman, and perhaps the best X-Men movie yet. Rating: 9.7

HeyUGuys

This feels like the Wolverine film Hugh Jackman has always wanted to make. Brutal, raw and emotionally satisfying. Logan is up there with the best comic book movies ever made. Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Den of Geek

Here's a bonus, too: Logan is that rarest of things: a three act comic book movie where the final third doesn’t let the side down (quite the opposite, in fact). For those still struggling with the last act of The Wolverine in particular, that’ll come as a particular relief. Also, The Wolverine committed to its geography and cultural choices for but two thirds of its running time before retreating to a standard CG punch-up. This one is far more confident and successful, and despite a wobble or two, ultimately hasn't wavered or lost its nerve by the time the credits roll. Rating: 4 stars out of 5

JoBlo

It’s tough to imagine X-MEN fans not being ecstatic for how Mangold, after an uneven THE WOLVERINE, has managed to make the spin-off we’ve hoped for since the announcement of X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, which is now, thankfully, a distant memory. It’s not unlike his own 3:10 TO YUMA in how character and action are mixed, and how the Western genre is explored, even if we have cars instead of horses. Even Marco Beltrami’s score plays homage to the genre, although he also incorporates some freaky piano riffs to give it an unusual feel that works well with the film. It’s the superhero movie we’ve been waiting for, in that finally it’s something totally different. Make no mistake, this is even more radical than DEADPOOL and hopefully a film that will pave the way for riskier superhero films moving forward. Rating: 8 out of 10

• 2 weeks later...

Really loved this.. My only complaints really were that it was a little long and predictable. But Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart give the best X performances they ever have.

Katherine on the other hand had an existential crisis.

She was kind of disturbed by the themes of aging and dying. It hit her pretty damn hard

Her attitude toward it made me realize how effective and powerful it really was.

Logan

B+

I tried to go into this film with few expectations, but I failed. Some of those expectations were met and others weren't. Similar to the Lego Batman Movie, I'm sure I'll enjoy Logan more on a second viewing now that I know what to expect.

The Good

* Performances! These are the best performances of any X-Men film yet, save maybe Deadpool. Patrick Stewart owns the 2017 Best Supporting Actor Oscar as far as I'm concerned. The rest of the cast was also on point--Stephen Merchant's Caliban and Boyd Holbrook's Pierce especially. And finally, this girl playing Laura/X-23 gave a truly honest and sincere performance of rage, pain, and vulnerability.

* The action! Finally, a Wolverine film that has the fight scenes I’ve been waiting to see since I started reading Wolverine comics back in junior high school. Even though there was yet another battle in the woods (it’s basically an Wolverine trope at this point) I still thoroughly enjoyed the full on Wolvie rage. Some of the X-23 fights were cut a bit too much, but I give that a pass as I’m sure most of her stuff was a mix of stunts and CGI.

* Representation of the “not too distant future” in 2029. Subtle but impactful notes were put into the script to remind the audience this wasn’t present day.

* And finally, something important the filmmakers paid homage to from the comics…

was they basically kept Logan’s (most recent) death the same as it was the comics. In the comics a vat of melted adamantium is poured over Logan and it hardens in this statuesque pose on a rooftop as the sun sets. What really kills Logan in the film isn’t X-24, but it’s the adamantium wearing down his healing factor to the point he’s mortal. So the adamantium kills him from the inside out in the film and not from the outside in like the comics. I see what you did there screenwriters, and I like it!

Speaking of death scenes, that burial of Xavier had me misty eyed. It goes back to the performances compliment, but this may’ve been Jackman’s best scene. He went from understated and vulnerable to full on shovel rage. It was a very well done scene.

Logan’s final words were also pretty damned perfect. I wanna say I remember another character using those as final words, but until someone proves that, I’ll give it to Logan.

The Bad

* Overly complex plot! If you want to make a superhero Western mash-up, then keep the plot simple. There was way too much new info to process, and this leads me to my second criticism…

* Too many important plot points are left to minimal exposition or just plain left unexplained. Granted, if this was a stand alone film then the minimal explanations would be great service to the pacing of the plot. However, that’s not the case here! LOGAN is in a universe with nine previous fucking films built behind it. And LOGAN implies way too much with no explanation. These giant plot points (Yes, plural.) that were left unexplained became extremely distracting for me. Here is a list:

1.Wait, why are there no new mutants born in the last, what’d Xavier say, 25 years?

2. WTF happened “a year ago” with Charles in Westchester and which X-Men did he kill? The radio report made it sound like Xavier killed seven X-Men. Who?!? How? Why is implied, but the rest needed a flashback.

3. Why is it Dr. Rice and not Mr. Sinister the main behind the scenes pulling the strings? I get Rice has ties to the Weapon X project, but Age of Apocalypse and Bryan Singer told us we’d have fucking Mr. Sinister! [My guess is he was supposed to be the big bad Wolvie fights to the death, but they thought it’d be all symbolic” if the only thing that could kill Wolverine was another Wolverine, hence X-24. [i don’t remember if X-24 is even a thing in the comics.]

4. When, how, and why did the X-Men go from hated and feared mutant scum to beloved superheroes like the Avengers? Why are there X-Men comics and toys in this universe now?

5. What’s Eden and who runs it? Why is Eden even necessary if the X-Men made mutants viewed as superheroes in this world!?!? And if these kids aren’t “natural mutants” what makes Eden so eager to take these kids in? Yeah, just Eden in general is a big fucking question mark.

6. What!?! Why exactly have no new mutants been born again? Please, ‘splain dat to me again Dr. Rice!?!?

And some less crucial points that still irked me:

7. Why are Dr. Rice & the Reevers only in pursuit of Laura? Why not the other escaped kids?

8. Speaking of which, who got those other X-23 kids to the rendezvous point in North Dakota? Presumably the other nurses, but where are they?

9. How the hell did Laura get Logan in to the hospital after Xavier’s burial? Please tell me there’s not a dead fisherman and his dog back by that pond/lake! “What’s in the box, Laura? What’s in the boooox?!?”

10. Why did Logan ask Caliban to help with Xavier? And why is he a complete 180 from the Caliban in Age of Apocalypse?

11. How do Dr. Rice & co. know where Logan and Xavier are hiding but not the US government? You’d think after what’s implied to have happened in Westchester that Xavier be on their most wanted list.

12. How are those X-23 kids gonna be on a time crunch to cross the border to Eden but have enough time to move and bury Logan? Shouldn’t other government agencies still have been in pursuit of them after the first wave was wiped out?

The Ugly

* The heavy handed symbolism.

Turning that cross into an X at the end should’ve been a moving moment, but I was so burned out on the heavy handed symbolism with Shane that it just came off as so utterly corny to me. Ditto for Laura reciting that Shane monologue at Logan’s grave. This was an opportunity for some great original writing, but instead they just cribbed it. Not cool. After nine movies with this character he deserved his own memorable send off. Came across as lazy writing to me. [but Logan’s actual final words, as I mentioned earlier, were near perfect.

And the other bit of heavy handed symbolism was X-24. I mean, *ugh* wasn’t the adamantium poisoning enough to get across Logan is his own worst enemy? I think a character may have even spoken those exact words in the film. So why did Mangold feel the need to literally clone Logan and have him fight “himself” to get that point across? *sigh* It just felt like another missed opportunity for originality.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

1) a lot of the questions you presented in you review, i felt the movie eventually answered

2) your review & score seemed more critical than it was for batman vs superman, a film i found most odious, so i thought that odd

yeah, i didn't think his (terrible) latest death in the comics had any bearing here, and was glad to forget it, personally

i'm a big fan of westerns, so this serving as one was cool - the stuff with us watching prof. X deteriorate was particularly brutal, and the presumption that some of the x-men were lost when his alzheimer's kicked in is likewise about as rough as we can get without going full Old Man Logan here.

donny was telling me what incredible lengths they went to to get x-23, and personally, i'm not usually fond of child actors but i thought she was fantastic: really great bilingual, and walked the line of being fierce (apparently did many of her own stunts, too!) and likable. she played off jackman well & i'd like to see her in more stuff down the road.

caliban was an interesting choice for a side character, but given donald pierce/the reavers really ended up fitting. the Shane parallels - from the man in black to the brutal ending - were fitting and while very much overt/heavy-handed, worked for me. we inclueded the far-too-often-used plot point of a failing healing factor due to adamantium toxicity, which worked a lot better by jumping ahead to 2029.

bringing out Dr. Cornellius' son (and naming him such in the 4th quarter) felt a bit cheap for a final "villain", but it didn't throw me off so much....the kind black family that took him in just to be massacred felt far more trope-y than the stuff the movie seemed worried about, and the 11th hour use of joss whedon's "the cure" plotline to both explain the lack of mutants on-hand & the importance of the kids was a bit sloppy but worked as a plotline.

i gotta be honest: while not nearly as bad as Daken, i've never thought much of Laura, and kinda liked her here far more than her lazy intro in the books or what's been done with her since.

this was meant to be a send-off, and like Last of Us (or more accurately, The Road) I thought it was done with a fair bit of taste. the :wolvy: movies are easily the most disjointed series of comic films i've seen, but this one stood heads & shoulders over the main series and probably most of the x-films, too.

the wolverine.gif movies are easily the most disjointed series of comic films i've seen, but this one stood heads & shoulders over the main series and probably most of the x-films, too.

I remember reading a quote from some review that said it was one of the best superhero movies because it didn't feel like a superhero movie at all. I thought that was super accurate. It was so gritty and dramatic, with no flashy special effects or huge alien battle scenes. It was stripped-down and depended on performances from its capable cast. My only issue was a lame villain, but it wasn't enough to keep me from enjoying the movie as a whole.

yeah, that's a really good way to put it - bishopcruz was on about it being "low budget" but as a quieter story/western, i really dug it & kinda wish we got more like it with other characters...the avengers are there for the big existential crisis

1) a lot of the questions you presented in you review, i felt the movie eventually answered

2) your review & score seemed more critical than it was for batman vs superman, a film i found most odious, so i thought that odd

1) Much less troll-ish tone there, but you're still being vague and ultimately dismissive.

2) Damn you for making me actually scroll back through my review thread, but I couldn't find any review for BvS, and to that point no reviews from 2015 at all. That's how much that film shook me! But there's no way I rated it above Logan. I'm guessing I'd have given it a B/B+. But I'm much more of a Batman fan and can be forgiving of its "odious" elements in favor of the more fragrant (?) aspects of the film.

yeah, i didn't think his (terrible) latest death in the comics had any bearing here, and was glad to forget it, personally

i'm a big fan of westerns, so this serving as one was cool - the stuff with us watching prof. X deteriorate was particularly brutal, and the presumption that some of the x-men were lost when his alzheimer's kicked in is likewise about as rough as we can get without going full Old Man Logan here.

donny was telling me what incredible lengths they went to to get x-23, and personally, i'm not usually fond of child actors but i thought she was fantastic: really great bilingual, and walked the line of being fierce (apparently did many of her own stunts, too!) and likable. she played off jackman well & i'd like to see her in more stuff down the road.

caliban was an interesting choice for a side character, but given donald pierce/the reavers really ended up fitting. the Shane parallels - from the man in black to the brutal ending - were fitting and while very much overt/heavy-handed, worked for me. we inclueded the far-too-often-used plot point of a failing healing factor due to adamantium toxicity, which worked a lot better by jumping ahead to 2029.

bringing out Dr. Cornellius' son (and naming him such in the 4th quarter) felt a bit cheap for a final "villain", but it didn't throw me off so much....the kind black family that took him in just to be massacred felt far more trope-y than the stuff the movie seemed worried about, and the 11th hour use of joss whedon's "the cure" plotline to both explain the lack of mutants on-hand & the importance of the kids was a bit sloppy but worked as a plotline.

i gotta be honest: while not nearly as bad as Daken, i've never thought much of Laura, and kinda liked her here far more than her lazy intro in the books or what's been done with her since.

this was meant to be a send-off, and like Last of Us (or more accurately, The Road) I thought it was done with a fair bit of taste. the wolverine.gif movies are easily the most disjointed series of comic films i've seen, but this one stood heads & shoulders over the main series and probably most of the x-films, too.

That's better. Edited by Mr. Hakujin
Shook me all night long.

well, okay, let's get specific

1.Wait, why are there no new mutants born in the last, what’d Xavier say, 25 years?

i thought the good doctor said they'd isolated the gene & put whatever cures it into cereal & other stuff a while back? figure that sterilized em good

2. WTF happened “a year ago” with Charles in Westchester and which X-Men did he kill? The radio report made it sound like Xavier killed seven X-Men. Who?!? How? Why is implied, but the rest needed a flashback.

yeah, they don't say who, but i thought it was clear that his weakening omega-level mind was fucking things right up, and if not reigned back in (presumably, that was the first big attack) wipes people out.

and yeah i was expecting sinister too. i don't think x-24 is a thing in the books, but the weapon plus program does sometimes churn out things somewhat like him.

4. When, how, and why did the X-Men go from hated and feared mutant scum to beloved superheroes like the Avengers? Why are there X-Men comics and toys in this universe now?

did they say they were beloved like the avengers? having a comic at one point didn't imply that to me, i mean the entire book was rooted in counterculture so it stands to reason someone did just that in their world

Yeah, just Eden in general is a big fucking question mark.

i like to assume that was moira mctaggert on the other line, yeah

7. Why are Dr. Rice & the Reevers only in pursuit of Laura? Why not the other escaped kids?

she's the only other one with a successful healing factor, given how much they sank into wolvy & his clone i'm assuming that's a high priority

8. Speaking of which, who got those other X-23 kids to the rendezvous point in North Dakota? Presumably the other nurses, but where are they?

9. How the hell did Laura get Logan in to the hospital after Xavier’s burial?

yeah these are good questions that they totally gloss over

10. Why did Logan ask Caliban to help with Xavier? And why is he a complete 180 from the Caliban in Age of Apocalypse?

i assumed they went hiding in the morlock tunnels at first, it's where he'd be. and everyone was a complete 180 in AOA, that was much of the event's selling point