Hondo's Bar

Best First person shooter multiplayer Story

Sephiroth

Every FPS(first person shooter) uses the same basic concept: Run, find enemy, shoot, kill, repeat. Doing the same process over and over again starts to become boring. But then there's always that one kill where either you kill someone or someone kills you and you think "damn that was pretty cool/awsome/diffrent."

It's that one kill that was worth mentioning that makes such a great FPS mult. story. So I thought it might be intresting to hear short stories of how badass it was to kill that one person or how badass it was when you were killed by someone.

I'll start with a few of my own. Most of my great kills came from Halo.

Half dead and being chased thruogh a room, I ran out bullets in my magazine clip and I didn't want to take the time to reload cause it would only leave me open. Knowing my opponent would follow, I ran though a teleporter, spun around, and slammed the end of my gun in the face(melee attack) of my opponent while he came through.

(three melee attacks can kill a person in Halo)

While in a fight, there was once were I jumped off a small cliff and my opponent was at the edge of the cliff aiming a rocket launcher at my face. Unfortunately he ends up hitting the egde of the cliff.

In a game called Duke Nukem, I remember a device know as Holo-duke which was like a decoy. After watching my oponent attack this device with 15-20 rockets, I finally ended his misery.(watching him was quite funny)

Edited by Sephiroth

this is by far not the best story..... but hopefully, i will stir up some other posters to include their own little things that have happened over at my place.

as you well know, it's halo.

i'll set the stage for you all. this is a team capture the flag. one team, me and aadil. the other team, junker, ic and dinghy. the score is 2 to 0 because dinghy is a good player, but needs practice. after our scores (basically because piggy and i are quite evil, running flags across with warthogs) this basically took place.

ic runs out of patience. out of frustration, he spots dinghy doing what she normally does. sitting in the middle of the field "defending" (note: stage is blood gulch.) he lines up his sights and POW - single sniper shot to the torso. confused from being fired upon, dinghy runs around frantically, unloading her assault rifle on the ground. I watch through my scope as dirt from her fire forms a circle around her confused body. like a confused animal, i put her down with a single head shot of my own out of sympathy. junker - seeing his poor dinghy fired upon by his other teammate turns tail and hauls ass to attack IC. I watch in humor as they fight each other. this is a game gone wild. to make the story short, i ended up bringing the last score in by foot, 3-0.

Ok, the first one that popped into my head is just a basic one-on-one GoldenEye story, so bear with me.

I'm playing against my uncle on the archives level. We've both been playing a while, so we're both pretty good at this point. The weapons end up being a strange mix of pistols, assault rifles and rocket launchers. The rocket launchers are incredibly dangerous because the level is pretty much all hallways. Any rocket that isn't aimed perfectly has more chance of causing a suicide than a kill. But we each pick one up anyway.

For safety's sake we go after each other with the machine guns. I chase him into a big room full of crates. He ducks behind a crate and I hide behind a wall and we each start taking potshots at each other. Soon we both run out of ammo. He knows that the nearest machine gun is behind him, through the back door, across a hall, and through another door in a small room.

As soon as I run out of bullets he makes a run for it, and I arm the only weapon I have left, my rocket launcher. My uncle makes it to the back door before I can get a bead on him. He makes it across the hall into the next room before I can get a shot off. But one thing my uncle forgot - the room he's in now only has one exit. And he left both doors open.

So now I have a clear view into his room. I immediately launch two of my three rockets into it. The room he's in becomes an inferno, destroying whatever armor he had on, and half of his health. But he finds the one corner in the room where I can't hit him. Now he knows the only way I can kill him is to follow him into the room with my rocket launcher, a move that would probably kill me as well, since it's such a small space. And the only way he can kill me is to step outside of the room in view of my launcher. It would have been a standoff, except for one thing. The two open doors between us close automatically. So we both wait, and as soon as those doors start closing, we both make our move. He runs out of the corner to the door, and I launch my last rocket. The door is still open just wide enough for me to watch my rocket slip through the crack, sail across the hall, and reach my uncle's doorway just as he's stepping out of it. The rocket hit him squarely in the chest, exploded and sent his body flying across the room, hitting the back wall. Unarmed, I then walk in and pick up the brand-new unused machine gun from his lifeless body.

goldeneye... such a classic.

i remember this ship level with rooms upstairs with glass windows. i could never forget running across the hallway and someone gunning down the glass as i went aka die hard.

oh and proximity mines were a blast..... hehehe...

• 3 years later...

I think Metal of Honor: Allied Assult Online was the shiz. I had fun playing that game like no other first person shooter. This was back in 2001 I think... for me... at the time I had a Mac so there weren't many online first person shooters that I liked and to add I only had PS2 (metal of honor games all the way, I suppose.)

1013353973-00.jpg

I've tried Halo and I think it's gay. THe first time I played it, it sucked. THe experience was ruined on me. :boink:

lotta PC kids who've done the online thing way better for years now, think Halo's overrated, same way they did Goldeneye...but the games worked real well for the clientele - bond, for those of us who just wanted a good multiplayer N64 game with varied weapons & levels, and Halo, the same, but with automobiles and some online play...

but i agree, if youve done games like MOH online, you prolly werent impressed by Halo too much.

I was one of those who thought Goldeneye was overrated (not by much mind you.)

I think that Halo had an amazingly well put together single player campaign, a great story, and damn fun mulitplayer. I think what I love about Halo is the fact that the game was polished to a shine. The enemies were great, they each acted in evil, but fair ways. The AI was much better than anything out there at the time, and none of the weapons were useless. I loved the fact that everytime I played through an area it played out differently.

Not to mention the recharging shields were brilliant.

On another note, anyone else play the Prey demo yet? It's pretty sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite FPS continues to be Half-Life 2.

I just love the physics engine in it. Here's a scenerio, you're in a water way and theres a rickety bridge to the distance, on it are about 5-6 gunners waiting to snipe you. Do you...

A) Charge in guns a blazing

B) Take them on in a sniper fight

or C) Shoot the oil tanks below the bridge and watch that mother burn and the gunners with it.

...ah, I love Half-Life 2. :muggin:

Edited by Genroh

I got five headshots in a row once on CS. That was fucking class...

I mowed down about 15 people in the time I was deployed with the mg42 on Day of Defeat: Source. That was pretty kick arse aswell.

Yeah that was my favourite weapon in there, once you got the knack of it you could be pretty nippy and set up and unleash the pain fairly quickly. Like this one time I was using the name Killer Bob and killing pretty much everything, it's what they called in the Nam a free fire zone if you step into it, your fault.

Random team member: Killer Bob, stop killing everyone

Killer Bob: Sorry, I was having too much fun.

Yeah that was my favourite weapon in there, once you got the knack of it you could be pretty nippy and set up and unleash the pain fairly quickly. Like this one time I was using the name Killer Bob and killing pretty much everything, it's what they called in the Nam a free fire zone if you step into it, your fault.

Random team member: Killer Bob, stop killing everyone

Killer Bob: Sorry, I was having too much fun.

That deserves a standing ovation.

I think once I sniped the "big guy" in one of the channels on MoH: Allied Assualt, ANd boy that dude, was not going to have it. I was his target from then on, three times.

I guess he didn't like it when the screen said:

"OWNeDbYme" was sniped in the head by "SOME CHICK"

what a pussy. :muggin:

TF Classic is what it's called now, I can just remember huge cluster fucks, grenades going off everywhere, Snipers trying to drop the heavy weapons before they could trash soldiers, soldiers trying to blow up sentry guns before they mowed down medics who were poisoning spys who were backstabbing the snipers, ah, good times, good times.

TF Classic is what it's called now, I can just remember huge cluster fucks, grenades going off everywhere, Snipers trying to drop the heavy weapons before they could trash soldiers, soldiers trying to blow up sentry guns before they mowed down medics who were poisoning spys who were backstabbing the snipers, ah, good times, good times.

That's the fan made version, I think Don's talking about the official in the works.

• 6 years later...

There's still more happening in the linear one by a factor of ten. Labyrynthine level maps were made to make the bare bones level design of the age less apparent. Once you get the maps and enemy patterns down on Doom it's rather boring, I can revisit Half-Life 1 and still get more of a thrill.

There's still more happening in the linear one by a factor of ten. Labyrynthine level maps were made to make the bare bones level design of the age less apparent. Once you get the maps and enemy patterns down on Doom it's rather boring, I can revisit Half-Life 1 and still get more of a thrill.

granted, i love DOOM but going back to jump puzzles and getting lost backtracking for keys isnt something im calling peak design here...nor do i think SS1's map there looks super appealing just because it's complex. but i do think the image proves a point: by Infinite, it barely feels like the same genre. if that trend were to continue, you'd have "heavy content" on-rails shooting.