Hondo's Bar

The Hulk

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Cool. Maybe the director's cut will then be an unreal experience.

In reference to DF's and Drifter's opinion of the Ang Lee Hulk movie, I thought the movie actually had alot of good things going for it. The hulk-poodle was laughable, and Absorbing Man was a bad choice, but neither of those things were the film's downfall. That was easy for me to spot, and that was the fact that I didn't give a shit about Banner. I was utterly uninvested in the character, and especially when it takes over an hour to get to the green guy, that is a critical deal-breaker. I think if I had cared about Banner as much as I cared about Peter Parker before he got his powers in Spier-Man 1, the movie could have been saved from all it's other faults. Not sure if this had more to due with casting, acting, writing, directing or editing, but somebody dropped the ball.

I have a hard time believe Ed Norton won't make Banner at least semi-compelling.

Like I said in some other thread, I really Loved Ang Lee's Hulk. There were a few things I wasn't so happy about, but all in all I thought it superb.

Saw the new one today and it was also very good. I'm still not too certain about which one is better(start bitching, I know). I don't understand how people can pan the first one and love this so much. I really thought after the first one blundered they would fill this new with non-stop action to cater to america's small attention span, but no. It still had the plot and character development aspects that Lee's had. I love the hulk through and through, I'm just really glad I got to see another movie.

Like Silentbob noted, I also loved the use of the frames in Lee's hulk. Thought it was brilliant.

The Hulk movie was great, so I'm really psyched for this 3-hour cut on DVD. I'm really glad they took the

Super Soldier angle on everything, and having Tony Stark meet with General Ross at the end is really helping make this universe feel tied together. A Nick Fury moment wouldn't have hurt, though.

I haven't keep up with the Marvel universe since the end of the Clone Saga. I moved to Argentina around that time, and between my disillusion as a result of the Clone Saga (my copies of Amazing Scarlet Spider #1, Spectacular Scarlet Spider #1, Web of Scarlet Spider #1 and Scarlet Spider #1 are WORTHLESS if Ben Reilly isn't the original Peter Parker!), and the difficulty of getting imported comics in Argentina, I feel out of reading comics, but I did keep up with Avengers stories up until that point. When back in the US, I read Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men for the first 2 years, but kinds feel out of that too. I read Civil War. I didn't read the Ultimates, but did Nick Fury send Stark around to do his job of assembling the Avengers for him?

I haven't keep up with the Marvel universe since the end of the Clone Saga. I moved to Argentina around that time, and between my disillusion as a result of the Clone Saga (my copies of Amazing Scarlet Spider #1, Spectacular Scarlet Spider #1, Web of Scarlet Spider #1 and Scarlet Spider #1 are WORTHLESS if Ben Reilly isn't the original Peter Parker!), and the difficulty of getting imported comics in Argentina, I feel out of reading comics, but I did keep up with Avengers stories up until that point. When back in the US, I read Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men for the first 2 years, but kinds feel out of that too. I read Civil War. I didn't read the Ultimates, but did Nick Fury send Stark around to do his job of assembling the Avengers for him?

Before Tony was a mountainous prick he was pretty much everybody's personal bitch. It's hard to find a 616 issue that didn't have "Could you *name your task* Tony?" in it somewhere. Half the time he was just dedicated to keeping Jack of Hearts from exploding.

The Incredible Hulk 2008 Review(With Retrospective comparison to The Incredible Hulk 2003)

the_incredible_hulk_2_movie_poster2.jpg

Starring: Edward Norton, Liv Tyler, Tim Roth, William Hurt

Other Actors of Note: Tim Blake Nelson, Ty Burrell

Plot: Depicting the events after the Gamma Bomb. 'The Incredible Hulk' tells the story of Dr Bruce Banner, who seeks a cure to his unique condition, which causes him to turn into a giant green monster under emotional stress. Whilst on the run from military which seeks his capture, Banner comes close to a cure. But all is lost when a new creature emerges; The Abomination.

incredible-hulk-movie-photo-1-edwar.jpg

The Hulk goes into a more real world in this version of The Incredible Hulk. Explaing the Hulk's origins in the first 5 minutes it gives this movie time to use the already established mythos to play around a bit. This story borrows a great deal from the 70s TV show and constantly nods back to it with little in-jokes like an obligatory Lou Ferigno cameo, the playing of the "lonely man" ending theme from the show, scenes of Edward Norton hitchhiking, and using the alias "David" There's even a couple of nods at the comic like whenever Betty throws Bruce a pair of bright purple stretch pants and there's a little nudge nudge wink wink moment like with the yellow spandex comment in X-Men.

With no disrespect to Eric Bana who delivered a good performance as Banner in the first Hulk film, Edward Norton makes the role his own and plays it well as everyone predicted he would. He makes a much more interesting Banner and seems more everyman than Bana was ever able to accomplish

The Hulk this time is given a good villain. The Absorbing Man last time was a horrible choice, it would be like making a Daredevil movie and then having Stiltman be the villain. Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky manages to overcome the fact that he's 2 feet tall and become a character that's both badass and terrifying all throughout and as he grows more powerful it just gets worse.

photo-of-edward-norton-as-bruce-ban.jpg

I can't stop coming! It feels so good!

Liv Tyler manages to overcome the fact that she can't act by not talking a lot. This was a good choice on the director's part as Liv Tyler's best ability is to look pretty and smile/cry when the need arises. She does that well.

And while I respect William Hurt and the job he did in this movie, Sam Elliot was born to play Thunderbolt Ross. He just had the voice and the stage presence to pull it off perfectly.

second-trailer-for-the-incredible-h.jpg

Edward Norton and Tim Roth, actual scale.

Visually the Hulk is a beautiful movie and one primary color shines throughout, green. The director appears to have not wanted us to forget it and truly you can't find a frame in the entire film that doesn't have at least one shade of it though it's more subtle at times than others. It was an interesting choice visually and I liked it.

The comic book panels from Ang Lee's Hulk have been done away with. It was a neat idea but it just makes watching cumbersome and hard to concentrate on. On a plus side the Hulk looks less like a big green Robert Z'Dar and more like a giant green Gary Busey. There are complaints that he still looks CG but this only seems to be during action sequences there are many scenes where I could swear there's a large animatronic unit in place. But here's a side-by-side comparison.

wwwsptimescom_2003_06_23_photos_xpr.jpg

inchulk08_comics.jpg

As you can see the new Hulk looks tons better than the old one. The action is a bit toned down in this movie as compared to Ang Lee's film. While the original film had the Hulk smashing tanks and fighter jets and jumping several miles in a single bound through the desert, this one brings things back to the comic and TV show roots. Hulk rather than being 15 feet tall (as in Ang Lee's film) is a mere 9 feet (the one in the comic was 7 feet tall originally) and remains that one size consistently. What's more the Hulk can't jump more than several feet at one time which was somewhat disappointing but at the same time makes more sense.

incredible-hulk-movie-photo-2-edwar.jpg

Certain liberties were taken with Banner and the Hulk in this one that I support. The Hulk is played out much like King Kong with Betty Banner, he seems less than human and doesn't even talk until the last 10 minutes of the film when he utters the now legendary "Hulk SMASH!"

Banner is portrayed as Shellshocked and is even a bit reminiscent of Sylvester Stallone in First Blood as he has flashbacks from when he was the Hulk. Banner is portrayed as tortured but not helpless, he is seen learning several sorts of anger management and maybe even learning to control the Hulk itself.

Also of note is this change to the Hulk's origin. While the original had the rather unbelievable origin of being hit by a nuclear bomb blast this one says the Hulk was a mistake in trying to recreate Captain America's supersoldier formula (Though Cap is never directly referenced the Super soldier program is mentioned as having been closed down in the 40s and is later referred to as having been "put on ice" perhaps in allusion to Captain America's being frozen.)

Indeed the story is where this Hulk succeeds over Ang Lee's Hulk, while Lee's had a lot of action and decent acting it was also poorly written and had a lot of questionable ideas (Hulk Poodle anyone?) the problem was that in between scenes of the Hulk tearing shit up the movie was slow and at times boring. The scene leading up to the final confrontation with Absorbing Man seemed to drag on forever and when it finally got there it was nigh impossible to see. Now admittedly while the new Hulk's fight scenes don't give you the headache you got from watching Transformers' fight scenes, dammit they try! The fight scenes in The Hulk are really just payoffs, but even with the Hulk only making 4 onscreen appearances in the entire film you never feel gypped, the in between scenes are just as interesting and the Hulk's presence is felt and even dreaded at times especially early in the film.

william-hurt-as-general-thaddeus-th.jpg

Two things of note, as well as introducing The Abomination as the primary villain there's a big allusion to a sequel as we another Hulk rogue The Leader appear toward the end, admittedly only briefly but it's a sign of good things to come.

And finally the best scene in the goddamn movie, I will not spoiler tag this as it is common knowledge at this point and was quite the buzz on the internet for months before this film came out. At the end of the film Robert Downey Jr. appears as Tony Stark.

The scene is at the end of the film, not the end of the credits, which is a wise decision as the credits to a Marvel comics movie have more names on them than the guest list to Paris Hilton's vagina. This was also infinitely more satisfying than the tack-on scene at the end of Iron-Man for me. Mostly just because Samuel L. Jackson is 10% of the time a good actor and 90% of the time a guy who says fuck a lot and talks about his distaste for reptiles on aircraft. That and this more than a "Hi I'm an ominous black guy standing in your living room with an eye patch" Downey Jr. alludes to an actual "team" though if you've been paying attention they've been mentioning S.H.I.E.L.D. and Stark Industries all over the place.

I give 2008's the Hulk a 5 out of 5, make it part of your collection!

Edited by Iambaytor

Good review. I agree with your suggestion that Sam Elliot would have been a better General Ross (though Hurt was more than competent). Like Spider-Man 1 and 2, I enjoyed the parts with the mild-manner character as much if not more than the scenes with the super alter-ego, and to me, that was the key difference between this Hulk and Ang Lee's. I liked Liv Tyler, but mostly cause I think she's very cute, particularly in black rim glasses. Don't have much more to say, other than I hope Banner/Hulk are used in future Marvel Studios projects (Iron Man 2, Avengers, etc).