Hondo's Bar

Punisher

My mate was coming home from work and he saw a poster for a comic book convention in Dun Laoghaire and knowing that I'd get a kick out of it and recognising Ennis' name (he didn't read comics though) he swiped it off the wall and gave it to me.

I'm not into stuff like that, but being Ennis and knowing how ellusive he is I said fuck it and went. So I went really early so I could meet Mr. Ennis then get the fuck out of there ASAP.

So I went, with my copy of Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe in tow, to Dun Laoghaire. So it's 10am the door opens and I make my way over to Ennis and he's sitting there, looking very uninterested with a pint of Guinness. One more time; it's sunday and it's 10am.

So I waited in line for all of three minutes and then got up to Ennis. Honestly, it was the first time I've ever been star-struck (I was also a little high). I kinda flaked and after a few seconds of being queezy I asked:

"Why is Cassidy such a fucking dick?"

(this being around the time Jesse was "dead" and Cass and Tu were doing the hibbity)

Honestly I can't even remember the answer. The next minute or two are kinda blank, then I went and bought some issues of M2 books (J2, Spider-Girl and Wild Thing) for some ridiculously cheap price then got the fuck out of there.

More than a little embarrasing.

He was a nice guy, if not a tad bit cranky due to what looked like a hungover head.

And that is how I met Garth Ennis.

Not that good of a story really. By the way in the comic he wrote "Jason, Cheers - Garth Ennis". I was expecting something dirty....

• 4 months later...

heard it on the Knoll - new Punisher series

*snip*

“There’s this big tragic event, as most folks know by now,” explained Fraction of the book’s impetus. “It leads to utter chaos in the Marvel U as the good guys are torn apart from within. Heroes are being driven underground or being disappeared by S.H.I.E.L.D. Bad guys are running exploiting the chaos from within and without.

Guess who takes this as a sign to come above ground and get active again?

“Let's say that Frank's been a soldier his whole life, and he's still a soldier in 'Civil War.' And he'll fight to the last. In terms of characters he'll run into, I'd prefer to keep my cards a little close for the time being. I want to make it clear, though, that Frank's back and active in the Marvel Universe. He's not going after the same drug-dealers that Spider-Man might go after or the same violent pimp that Daredevil might fell-- he's going after the supervillains. Some are big time, some are small potatoes, some have crazy armor and some have weird superpowers, but all of them represent a serious step up for Frank. This is The Punisher operating on a whole new level, with a bigger and badder special effects budget.

“Oh, okay. One name. Stilt-Man.

“So... inevitably, as it's the events of ‘Civil War’ that drag Frank back into the Marvel U, we're tied in to the war until the last bloody shot is fired. And it's that final shot that dictates where we go after the war ends.”

While “War Journal” will be tied to “Civil War,” fans of the titular hero Frank Castle need not worry about the rest of the crossover. “I want to do my best to make ‘Punisher: War Journal’ as interdependent from 'Civil War' as possible... God knows everybody's read enough lame event crossovers and spin-offs in their lives that the last thing anyone needs (and the last thing I want to write) is a hamstrung thing that needs eight other books to fill in its blanks."

Fans will remember that Marvel ran a “Punisher: War Journal” series over a decade ago, when the Punisher was at the zenith of his popularity, and the book was quite different from the “main” Punisher series. Both tone and art style differentiated the books, and in the case of the former, history will repeat itself with Fraction. “Spectacularly berserk,” says Fraction of the tone. “The brilliant stuff that Garth Ennis is doing with the MAX book is so grisly and dark that, tonally, we want ‘PWJ’ to be 180-degrees away from there. I mean, It's still the Punisher so it's not like there are hugs and shared cups of tea in the early afternoon while important life lessons are discussed, but it's a much more comic book version of the character. We're about the big action, the insane comic book set pieces, and the gleeful fun that can come from watching a guy like Frank work in the most horrifically imaginative of ways across a setting like the Marvel Universe."

As to how the two books will fit together, Fraction says, “Totally separate. Ours is the Rykers-with-a-Y Marvel U, and it's defined as being Frank's interactions inside the Marvel U.”

This relaunching of War Journal should make the odd crowd who was sad to see the Marvel Knights Punisher leave...again, i dont think there's a better fit than an aging, sociopathic Vietnam vet outside of superhero continuty & in the MAX line with Ennis at the helm, and its odd for me to read that & mini's by everyone else, drawn in the old costume and not nearly as lethal, but agian, there's a clientele for that and god knows ill be checking this book out for its first arc at least, too.

• 3 years later...

HUGE FUCKING SPOILERS FOLLOW.

...ok, so, non-MAX Punisher has been trodding along, giving us fun Frank moments like, uh, the Symbiote suit?

287ekb7.jpg

...and, you know, future-tech like sword-gun.

Punisher%20Page2%2000000.jpg

...yeah. well uh, i know not all of you kids're reading Dark Reign: The List, its been a pretty good series of one-shots so far (again, overall the whole story's been great for me), but last week's The List: The Punisher kinda changed the book.

fuck it, baytor already read wiki (gunsmith prolly did too...*sigh*), so here's how it went down, with the whole of H.A.M.M.E.R. (the new S.H.I.E.L.D.) hunting a halfway-crippled Frank (who took down Daken hard a few pages prior):

punish02.jpg

punish03.jpg

punish04.jpg

punish05.jpg

punish06.jpg

punish07.jpg

punish08.jpg

...i mean, holy shit, right?! that was balls-out, you dont see that kinda shit in any books these days! but, really, it was either gonna be that or a shoot-out, i suppose.

what matters after a grim-as-fuck death like this isnt so much the fallout as the part where you respect the character's death (at least for a year or so, barring movie tie-ins) and not make it just part of a cheap gimmick of any kind, because that would

frankencastle.jpg

...what is this i dont even

for posterity: frank's been a mob hitman, an "avenging angel", a black guy, i think a woman once? so when you think about it, things've actually been worse.

still? I BLAME YOU, BAYTOR. YOU WANTED PUN OUT OF MAX, YOU GOT HIM SIR.

Don't you blame me, War Journal happened long before Punisher Max became Frank Castle: The Punisher. Also... WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK?! Just when canon Punisher was getting good again it went back into fucking stupid territory. Fuck it, I'ma go back to reading nothing but Ghost Rider and Moon Knight again. That new Anti-Venom series (that hopefully will move into a full-on series. Frank doesn't suck in that one) is pretty good as well. This bullshit makes me wish they'd shit out another Marvel Zombies series just so I can read that but now since the series has gone all infinite loop I guess even that won't happen.

Reinforcing terrible puns just makes them sting all that much more. Also, when the fuck did Punisher fight Miek in a symbiote suit? I remember he got hold of the suit in the 80s in What If... (one of the better stories of that series) but I didn't know they gave it to him again.

• 2 weeks later...

ASC: Yeah, that's Daken.

I'm actually of the opinion that that was a pretty cool death. Frank kept fighting up until the end.

This whole thing seems contrived as a way to give them a Frankenstein character in the League of Monsters, and a big name to boot.

88_punisher_12.jpg

What really bugs me is that I loved Gerber's run on Man-Thing back in the day, Werewolf by Night was one of my childhood 25 cent box favorites and the cover to Morbius #2 was the coolest picture I could think of at 10. I know nothing of this mummy person, but besides that this entire team is made up of guys I dig or dug...and it looks fucking stupid.

But Punisher actually has some power now...I predict a proper Daken ass wupping in the near future. That, at least, may be worth a glance. I will be thoroughly ignoring everything else that has anything to do with this Frankencastle person.

The book reads even worse than it sounds and this is a new low for even Morbius. Marvel's barely acknowledged Mummy character is really the only one low-rent enough to belong in this book, and Man-Thing and the Werewolf by Night are certainly slumming (and that's after being in Marvel Zombies 4, mind you)

The thing about the league of Monsters is that... Marvel has a Frankenstein so I can't imagine why they felt the need to come up with this bullshit to shoehorn Frank in. And I suppose Man-Thing is supposed to come across as some half-ass replacement for Gill-man. *sigh* I wish they'd do more with him, more that doesn't suck.

Edited by Iambaytor

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...