Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

Juust picked up my Ultimate Spiderman #75, yeah. Not bad but it'd best be worth the wait, or Bendis is gonna have blood on his hands. Y: The Last Man, I just finished reading. And I'm pretty titilated thus far. That Kilina's one hot Tamale...

Not much, he seemed to grow into his role at times (i always liked the idea that he knew he'd never be "the greatest" GL, but was hopin he'd get that chip off his shoulder), yet years later after savin like everybody, he still whines that its an accident, and the last arc of his book (volume 1; Ron Marz came to end it out) was damn cool, bu the made some moves that made me think he didnt think shit of his role, which was sucky. He's just too quick to pass the ring around, its like the writers cant get him out & Jordan in quick enough.

Again, just my beef cause i prefer Rayner, Jordan fans are gonna love this book, it makes the corps look cool too.

• 2 weeks later...

I forget who issued the hype aboot Ultimates #5's fight between Thor & the resta the team, but believe the hype!!!! I've never been really immersed in comic's 'action panels'(emotionally charged fights like Jess Vs Cass notwithstanding), but fuuuuuuck. Y'alla gotta scan, buy, download, what-the-fuck-ever this issue, 'cause it's worth it for the fight alone. Thing is, once resolved, we're still not that much closer to knowing whether Thor's really a nutter or not... I imagine there'd be a fair bit of fan backlash if Millar really did just pitch him as a loony... Anyways.

Exiles #62 Part one of the TimeBreakers set, since the team's taskmaster seems to have gone slightly insane, the team(now including AoA's Holocaust, Sabretooth AND Blink) utilises the M'Kraan crystal & the Tallus to storm the Timebroker's keep. Who's in charge now tho? I gotta admit, it IS kinda cool...

Ultimate X-men #60(i think) I dunno whether it's an insult or a tragedy, but Steve Dillon penciled this official :filler: issue(seriously, it centres on Xavier foiling a bank Robbery). He seems hard up for work if this is the case. On the matter of Ultimate Xavier tho, if he's not the world's best bluffer, there's some scary shite in the wings.

100 Bullets #60: Beginning of a new arc, and possibly the end of things. With a lotta playas from across the series in the one town, there promoses to be some action. I'm just glad this is the first comic I managed to get ArNah into.

Runaways #3: Victor Mancha is fleshed out a little more, as we discover the mysterious benefactor of the teen-hero reject squad(and what the fuck is Starsmore doing there? Is Vaughan trynna get a gig writing Hellblazer?) could also be Vic's dad.

Ultimate Spiderman #76: FINALLY SOME PAY-OFF!!!! Ooh yeah! Another emotionally-charged slugfest, which as I said, doesn't ring my bell but Bendis is brilliant with portraying the emotions, as Mary Jane gets her shit in the way yet again, and Pete might finally get some closure on the Osbourn Legacy of fuckin' with him...

fuck, sounds like another great week, cant wait to get in on it...couldnt agree more with Ultimates, feels like there's more to be said (i like how its left open, and damn Millar can nail the cliffhangers..)

from previous stuff:

Incredible Hulk # 80: I'm enjoyin Peter David's return so far - and not just cause of Wolverine - but im more than a bit confsued...did he just make the entire Bruce Jones 2 year run a "bad dream"? :D

Iron Man # 3 - I know Ellis' decompression isnt for everyone, but this "Extremis" thing is damn interesting as another super-soldier spinoff, i think. He plays a lil less with technology and sci-fi and delivers more action here, while givin a closer look at how Stark's weaponry works. The art's fantastic too, i cant remember enjoyin this book this much since...uhm...Jim Lee did it.

Sha-na She Devil # 3 - Its definitely goin places, but im basically readin to see Frank Cho draw big T&A fighting dinos, at this point.

Action Comics # 825 or so - Jumbie mighta dug this; an army of Gog's, a racist superman clone, and Doomsday come to finish an elderly supes off, and pull it off. Huge issus goes through future timelines etc, gives the weirdest take on Doomsday you'll see. Pure fanboy stuff, decent supes story.

Street Fighter # 14 - Ryu vs Balrog, Guile vs Vega! Yeah, if you werent an SF II fanboy in the day, i cant imagine readin this and enjoyin it, but its gettin fun again. Ryu's on his way to India next issue, cant imagine who he'll find there.. :D

Phoenix Endsong # 4 - im still impressed that im caring about Jean Grey here, much less Quientin. Fun X-stuff, doesnt feel as serious as youd think.

Uncanny X-Men/X-Men #'s whatever - fuck em, ass on paper.

Marvel Knights Spider-Man # 13 - Spidey vs Wolvy, over MJ! Kind of. Man, theyre pushin the New Avengers stuff in a lotta books...its fun to see Peter tryin to be a team player and live in the mansion, but he (and wolvy) both strike me as out of charcter here...fun, but its obvious Millar's gone.

Black Panther # 2 - I'm enjoyin JRJR's art more than i have in a bit, and the writing's cool so far, too. I still gotta go back and read vol 1 for Priest's take on the charcter, but the Cap stuff, and the Black Panther history is cool so far. Im not sure what "major marvel event" thing is comin from this, tho.

on deck: Rex Mundi # 13, Invincible # 17-current, Powers, Marvel Team-Up, DC's Seven Soliders books (gettin high marks all over), X-Men AoA mini, Ultimate FF, Wolverine: Soultaker, Captain America 3-4, and the rest of She-Hulk (you heard).

JRJr's doing Black Panther now? Nice.

Picked up a few comics recently. I don't go every month so I'm usually an issue or two behind, and only pick up my favs or the highly recommended stuff.

But speaking of highly recommended, I grabbed the first two trades of Walking Dead about a week back. Nick, everything you said about this was right, it's great great stuff. I love the survival stories and just the depth that Kirkman is getting out of his characters and his story. I really miss Tony Moore's pencils (I absolutely loved that art in Volume 1), but Adlard's doing a decent job picking it up. A great new look at a tired old cliche of a story.

Went to the shop today and picked up:

Ultimates #4 & 5 = Goddamn can Hitch draw the hell out of those action scenes. I used to never give a damn about Thor (Norse god come to earth, how cheesy a backstory is that?) but Millar's made me a real fan of Ultimate Looney Thor, and this arc was just great. I only wish there had been a bit more of it, but I felt the same way about the Hulk plot before it. Do these things really have to be limited to three issues?

Secret War #4 - Ok, I'll come out and say it, Bendis isn't impressing me much with this story. So, as far as I can tell so far, Nick Fury got a team together to go and try to overthrow the Latverian government a year ago, pissed someone off, and now they're getting revenge? Ok. But...am I the only one who thinks this mysterious superhero team going overseas to overthrow a government might be a more interesting story than just watching an entire book full of a big fight in New York City? I've seen fights in New York City. Granted I haven't seen a fight in New York City look like this! I buy the book just to see more of Dell'Otto's work, now. I don't really think Bendis is gonna be able to sell me on the story with just one issue left to go.

Daredevil Redemption #3 - Anyone else following this one? It's shaping up to be a cool little mystery that has Matt Murdock defending a suspected child killer (and satanist) in a small rural fundamentalist town in Alabama. Hine's writing is good and he's got enough eerie foreshadowing and shocking moments to keep me wondering whether he'll be able to pay it all off at the end. But it's halfway in and it still has me guessing so that's something. Gaydos' art isn't bad either. He comes off pretty much as Maleev-lite, keeps it in the same vein as the main DD book. He's not as good as Maleev, but given a few more years for him to get better and I'm gonna have trouble telling their pencils apart.

:D I'm glad you dug it, man...just pass the word on where you can, the book's only gettin better.

I agree with your Secret War review too, fun but im hopin for more. I'll get back on DD: Redemption on your say-so.

So far this week:

X-23 # 5 - Still fun, and its got some heart, but its fairly predictable at this point. I was really hopin theyd try to evolve her past a 1-D character by now, ah well.

I agree with Skeet on Ultimate X-Men & 100 Bullets, lookin forward to USM, Ex Machina, Walking Dead, Vertigo First Tastes, & this one called The Atheist.

Uncanny X-Men/X-Men #'s whatever - fuck em, ass on paper.

I'm thinkin' I might start payin' attention tho, 'cause with Peter Milligan on board there could be some cool shit. I miss X-Statix, but it was admittedly weaker than his initial X-Force run...

thatsgottabeskeettalkin

Yeah, i thought that too, but 2 or 3 issues into the Milligan arc, and it still feels like Austen (Salvador Larocca's pencils dont help one bit, my opinion..not a fan, most times).

I might check back the next arc, we'll see. I too miss X-Statix, it was a damn fine book, but this aint it. I'm readin Toxin later tomorrow, hopefully, and its his work too, but i wasnt as big on Venom vs Carnage as i thought id be, despite the cool art. I might be biased, cause he looks like the only symbiote on the block right now ( :D ) and in years past, i used to dig those other 2...

• 3 weeks later...

Ultimate Spiderman #77: Not a bad conclusion to the Hobgoblin arc. Not a brilliant one, but not bad. I'm just looking forward to Spidey's future dealings with S.H.I.E.L.D since he smacked the eyepatch offa Nick-fuckin'-Fury!!!!! And Nick seemed to take that kinda personal-like...

Ultimate Fantastic Four #18: End of the Negative zone arc, and it looks like another miss for monsewer Ellis... Ehh, check it out anyways.

Ultimate X-Men #59: I think I'm over the Vaughan run on this title. Sure enough, he's got some good action & short, sharp shocks keeping reader's senses assaulted(see #48), but it feels like he's strictly churning out Ultimate villians and sacrificing epic arcs that made this book great. This month follows Storm & Wolvie after events from the Cry Wolf arc, and Logan trying to find his past while a familiar piece of Storm's catches up with both of them.

Exiles #??: Part three of the Timebreakers arc, and it turns out Beak does have some mad-skillz, and may just be able to defeat the rogue Hyperion the best way he can

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
as the others get their arses handed to them.

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLYFINALLYFINALLY!!!!!!! Ultimate Iron Man #2: Trouble in the hills as we jump from the birth of Ultimate Tony(as the ladies know'im) to age four, where that irritating Zebediah Stane is STILL trynna get his hands on Tony's lucky charms. Or Bio-thingy or something.

House of M #1 AAAAUUUUUURRRRRRGH!!!! Finally! I was starting to get sick of the wait, and over the hype, but this issue is so completely worth it. Copiel's pencils are pretty fuckin' tight, and the content that hasn't already been previewed to death is mighty nice. Kudos to Bendis for throwing on and ending that garauntees I'll be reading all the House of M tie-ins now too*.

*Note- essential reading for any spider-philes in the house.

Runaways #4: All bets're in as Victor Mancha's father is revealed, but I dunno if this is that yet, as there's some serious 'splaynin' to do. In other news it also looks like Phil Urich is gonna don his Golden Goblin Armour again drrrrr.

almost all caught up, god bless DCP's thieving little hearts

(best of the week!) Runaways # 3 & 4 - This book is only getting better, and im enjoyin this artist too. I stand by Victor being one of the most interseting villian characters in a while, and this whole storyline strikes me as fun & original, with epic stuff in the background. Vaughn is having a blast wtih the rest of the Marevl U around him, from vilian databases to the grown-up teen team.

The Walking Dead # 19 - Another eventful one; Kirkman's right: were not learning how it all started, but were learning the rules.

I fucking love Rick, even when he's wrong.

Astonishing X-Men # 9 or 10 i cant recall - Damn. Whedon thinks the fights through, really makes me think theyre taking on

, and it comes out cool. Cant say how excited i am to see this team stay on another year...

Wolverine # 27 or 28? - I can see its going to more interseting places, and I'm looking forward to older, weak villian teams dyin out (the event is hyped as "Wolvy kills over 50,000 this summer") but dammit, he'd better start soon cause he's already behind.

Ultimate X-Men # 5something - I love Vaughn, but i might be with Skeet here on bein ready for the next writer's run (isnt it the director? theyre sayin he mgiht bring in Apocalypse...). Fun, but i should be enjoying this book more than I do.

Ultimate Spider-Man # 77 (i think) - I'm tired of goblins. I hope this book gets interesting again soon.

Ultimates # 6 (i think, again) - Haha, the Defenders are gay. Lot goin on very quickly this volume. Also, Giant Man is teh suck.

100 Bullets # 61 - Cool that this arc is goin down in Miami....the Trust families are shaping up to clean house, I just cant wait to see the Minutemen strike. Where the fuck did Graves go...?

Green Lantern Rebirth # 6 & new volume # 1 - I'm gonna have to try to like Hal Jordan, i really am. I think the only people realy hyped bout this are old school fans, or kids who jerk off to "Top Gun."

Rebirth, or stroking of the Lanterncock, was...i mean, its fun, but Scrier still made it feel forced, to me, prolly as little as he could given the event. This is the result of Marvel fanboyness: I came on board for Kyle, and honestly dont give two tugs of a dead dog's cock about Guy Gardner, Kilwog, the gaurdians etc, and im not even sure who John Stewart is.

Batman being the voice of reason was crapped on this issue, which to me feels just like having Spdier Woman stab Wolverine with his own fucking claws: im glad these great characters are just icons that you knock down whenver you're trying to say how badass your character is now.

Marvel Knights: Spider-Man # 14 - Im not sure what i just read, or what's going on (why is Wolverine living inside the Avengers mansion...?), but it was weird; i kept seeing Spidey and Wolvy with word bubbles that, for the sake of the writer, I'm gonna assume were misprinted, and belong on some other book, with other characters, because it wasnt fucking them.

Next up: Punisher, few others, then mebbe these DC Seven Soldiers stuff, OMAC, and the latest 2 series ive been trying to find: Berserk and Wu-Tang: 9 Rings.

dammit, im still outta the loop until i find a scan of House of M... :D

Yeah, you innerested if I can scan my copy & send it to you later on? Not sure how it all works, but I'm sure you could fill me in *Demure look & starts chewing on pinky, Cue the wah-wah peddle.

Ultimate Spiderman #78 For the meantime we're hopefully done with Goblins as Ultimate Mark Raxton shows up to put some moves on MJ. Gold stars to who can place the name.

And Runaways...

as Ultimate Mark Raxton shows up to put some moves on MJ. Gold stars to who can place the name.

how about...A molten star?! Sorry, i talked to Da Cap'n, he knows the spider shit like i knows the X shit.

Skeet, i cant recall: you readin Walking Dead? Cause if not, and you dig zombies/survival shit, you're really missin out man.

http://www.hondosbar.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3311

Walking Dead: so good, id bet my face on it. Word is bond.

forgot one:

Ultimate Iron Man # 2 - Christ, this is an entirely different direction than Iron Man's had before, from what ive read of the character.

When BigChiefSlapaho's FTP is back up, im sending him these first 2; he's the resident Iron Man fan, im really interested in seeing his thoughts on it.

Its interesting, and not at all a bad take, but Thor aside, its diverting from its original origin story more than any other Ultimate title. On the other hand...i was happy to not see again what they did to Ultimate Nick Fury: "You made a name for yourself in Vietnam, but that's too long ago to be belieavable now, so we'll update your origin to Desert Strike, obviously a comparable military campaign." :D

• 2 weeks later...

Punisher (22 or so, current arc): Fucked up, and getting more so as it goes along....between this and the last arc, "Mother Russia", Ennis is nailing this one again. Speaking of which....

Punisher: The Cell: An excellent stand-alone issue, showcasing Ennis' great ideas for this character. Keeps you guessing right till the end, and then....damn. I really didnt see that shit comin. :shoot:

Wolverine # 28: Good, and good art, but....eh, im prolly solo here but im gettin ready to move past Millar's take on m'boy. No matter what, i always feel he's holding him back a bit, its hard to explain...this might be fallout from him gettin punked a lot in his recent bout of overexposure.

New Avengers # 6 - Well, its definitely building towards something bigger now, that's for sure. Also, Logan's role is fleshed out a lot more, which i obvioulsy dug.

House of M # 1 & 2 -

Obviously, the meat of the story is forthcoming, but again, I enjoyed Ribic's cover, as well as the interior artist guy. I'm hoping this pentultimate story makes Avengers: Dissasembled flow better, too.

Just finished Runaways (vol. 2) #'s 1-4 and I have to say that Vaughan has won me over!! Kirkman is still the man, but the V-man is coming up!!

Man with the Screaming Brain #'s 1 and 2: A Bruce Campbell written adaptation of his new flick that he directs and stars in! Weirdness!! Man goes to Russia. Man gets mudered. Evil scientist swaps man's brain with double agent commie bastard's brain! Hijinks to come!! This guy can star in "Shit: The Movie" and I'll still watch it!! The fact that he's writting this book makes it automaticlly cool!

Dream Police #1: JMS and DeoDato, JR. team up again to do this cop drama Marvel Icon title! It's... different, but not in a bad way! You get to see a lot more comedy in this book than other JMS titles which works pretty good! It's about these two detectives that specialize in crimes commited... in Dreamland! Thats not the actual city's name, but I mean in your dreams! It's wierd, but cool!! You gotta read it... so do!

Other than that, you know me... up on my Marvel shit!! The shit that I'm lovin' right now: House of M, Ultimate FF, New Avengers, Runaways, Astonishing! You know, the usual! Oh yeah, how can I forget my boy Kirkman!! Walking Dead is hands down my fave right now and Invincible ain't too far behind!!

Edited by Da Cap'n