Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

I second everyting :woo: said on Runaways # 6. Vaughan's building quite the marvel U over in Cali, and i cant wait to see more.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

House of M # 4 - Finally got to read this one, and man was it worth it!

the first 3 could be called slow, or somewhat unclear (though enjoyable), but things're really comin together by the end of this one. I was somewhat lukewarm before, but im really hyped about this arc now, and the fact that Bendis & Joe Q seem prepared to have lasting consequences from it.

Now, im actually intersted in whatever setup ive missedi n Exiles and books like that. Ive kept up with Spdier-Man and Mutopia thus far, i think Iron Man and FF as well.

Esad Ribic on the covers (the guy i liked from the Wovly covers a while back, tho some critics call him a cheap alex ross, uses a lotta grays etc...to each their own), and Oliver Copiel on the interiors.

He draws a weird poutty Magneto sometimes, but i think of him as a student of Finch, persoanlly. Its solid art.

Yeah, him....i just dig having more non-Ross painters in the industry sometimes, and that was an awesome cover.

I know Finch doesnt grab you like it does some fanboys, but its fitting for a big crossover, and certainly doesnt take from the book. My only concern is that i wanna see how he handles a powerful Magneto later in the series when its called upon to do so...honestly, almost every writer on an X-title has promised "the biggest Magneto story of all time", but this one might just pull that off, and i wanna see more from him than a Jim Lee-esque figure with a sixpack.

Nick, the Amazing stuff is cool! I think you'll like it! I've just been sick of the same ol' Spidey villians! It's not Morlun, but it ain't the Stacy Twins either! What I think JMS is trying to do is since Spidey is an Avenger now, he's trying to give him Avenger villians! Remember I said that I really didn't like that? Well, now it's starting to grow on me... check it out for yourself! Wolvie makes lots of comical apperances too (if that don't sell ya, I don't know what will?)!

Now, im actually intersted in whatever setup ive missedi n Exiles and books like that. Ive kept up with Spdier-Man and Mutopia thus far, i think Iron Man and FF as well.

I don't know if you're reading it, but you gotta read Pulse #10!! It's an AWESOME tie-in to HofM!!!

Yeah, i just got that one....its the newspaper-styled one right? I skimmed it, i gotta go back & read it soon.

If there's other good tie-ins, lemme know...i just saw the "Secrets of the House of M" one, its one of those fun character encylopedias.

damn sapiens.

This week was a small week, but ALL good books... surprizingly!

Ultimate Spidey #81: Funnest Ultimate Spidey book I've read in a looooong time! Spidey, Hammerhead, Iron Fist, Shang-Chi The Master of Kung Fu, Black Cat..., like fifty thugs!! All fighting and shit! Man oh man! I'm lovin' this book again!

Fantastic Four: House of M #2 (of 3): Not as good as issue one, but still good! I think cause it's a 3 issue series, they're trying to get things done in a hurry! The next issue is shapin' up to be a killer!

Iron Man: House of M #2 (of 3): Also not as good as the first one! It was cool, but I can't really get into Iron Man (sorry Chiefy)!

Ultimate Iron Man #3: Man, for somebody that doesn't like Iron Man, I sure do get alot of his books (all of them actually)! Better than the second issue! Man, that second issue really turned me off to this series, but this one helped a little in keepin' my money for one more week! I was a fan of War Machine back in the day and here they introduced the Ultimate version of him (well as a kid)!

Wildsiderz #1: Hell of a good book! Any fans of Danger Girl will LOVE this series!! As usual, Campbell's pencils are awesome (that guy just gets better and better)! Also as usual the endless puns and steriotipical characters keeps this book outta the more "intelectual" range, but who cares... these chicks are HOT!!! Like I said, if you like Danger Girl, than this is the book for you! If not... at least admit it's got pretty pictures!

Marvel Team-Up #11: Kirkman, you scamp, you! Now we all know who the villian is (well we've always known, but our heroes haven't)! Lot's of fun stuff going on in this issue! What I don't get is... Titanis beats the crap outta... the Hulk and Sunfire hangs with him in an earlier issue?

And now for our book of the week!

New Avengers #8: Hot diggity!! What the hell is going on with The Sentry?! I don't know, but LOTS of Marvel characters are about to find out next issue!! LOTS!!!!

Ok that's this weeks!!

Beat me to it, mofo! Yeah, them's some good books tho. Love McNiven's pencils on New Avengers.

Red awaits his DC's Finest Treatment. On the other hand, Red hears Lime will play no part in Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder. Red lets the facts speak for themselves. HA!

This weeks books!

Captain America #8: Winter Soldier Part 1! Little action from this first issue of the new arc, but LOTS of stuff going on in the story department! Is he Bucky? Is he not Bucky? This issue ties up some very interesting points! I got a new favorite book...

Shanna the She-Devil #7 (of 7): Ended pretty weak! I was expecting way more! Had kind of a sudden ending too! I would like to see Cho revisit this sometime in the future though, but for now, focus on Zombie King, Franky boy!!

The Punisher #24: Up is Down... 6 (of 6)! Didn't like how Frank "got some" last ish, cause I felt he was outta character leavin' himself in the open like that, but oh well! It set up a nice "fight scene" between the Punisher, "Big Bertha" and "the whore"! It ended well, too! Can't wait for what Ennis has in store for Big Pun next! Oh and I dug the Sin City Marv tribute cover, too!!

Ultimate Fantastic Four #22: Crossover Part 2!! OK, now we're getting somewhere!! Actually REALLY liked this issue! Actually REALLY LOVED this issue!!! Spidey as a Zomb... wait, let me not ruin it for everybody!!

The Invincible Iron Man #4: Extremis Part 4 (of 6)!! Political undertones aside! Was an alright ish! I got a feeling we're about to see the equivilent of Spidey getting organic webbing next issue happening to Tony Stark! I don't really know what Ellis is doing, but I don't think I like it...

The Ultimates 2 Annual #1: Bunch of crap happening with Fury at the center of it all! Just a stand alone story that supports what's going on in monthly! Good stuff! Check it out!

And now the Book of the Week!!

House of M #5 (of 8): H O L Y S H I T!!!!! Man, this issue is sooooo powerful it almost made me cry! DAMN!!! I felt like I was in the ish!! Fucking Bendis!!! READ THIS AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!!

shit...i cant wait for this week's scans.

And now the Book of the Week!!

House of M #5 (of 8):  H O L Y  S H I T!!!!!  Man, this issue is sooooo powerful it almost made me cry!  DAMN!!!  I felt like I was in the ish!!  Fucking Bendis!!!  READ THIS AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!!

# 5's out?! shit, didnt 4 just make it a few weeks back? Aw, im dyin over here....

Y: The Last Man # 36 - Solid, finally get a look at Beth & whats goin on there...

Girls # 3 - Its alright, not as much fun as Ultra was tho.

Ex Machina # 13 - Im enjoying the direction Hundred's taking with the "12 angry men" and all, and its an interestin cliffhanger....

i co-sign panch's reviews on New Avengers # 8, Ultimate Spidey, and the HoM spin-offs (FF is good fun)

On :2T: say-so, im readin Amazing Spider-Man again, what with him as a New Avenger, and some big event onna way...here's to the next HoM issue, as well as the ones im dyin waitin for: Daredevil, Astonishing X-Men & Waking Dead!

HoM # 5 = the goods.

Wolverine: Soultaker was decent for a wolvie mini, which usually means feces drawn with claws.

Ultimates Annual - you guys know Dillon drew this...? interestin side stroy on cap stuff, but the Fury bits were the meat of it....

all caught up on Invincible (awesme) and Amazing Spider-Man, which :blink: was right about - its an interestin Hydra arc, really great after the last few shitty arcs. And yeah, the Avengers tie-in stuff is a highlight in itself.

there's other books im forgetting....

Ultimates Annual - you guys know Dillon drew this...? interestin side stroy on cap stuff, but the Fury bits were the meat of it....

Yeah. I dunno why they're putting Dillon on action books like this(Ultimate X-Men # 58 as well) since dynamic pencils aren'y his strong suit, but whatever.

Yeah. I dunno why they're putting Dillon on action books like this(Ultimate X-Men # 58 as well) since dynamic pencils aren'y his strong suit, but whatever.

Agreed. The guy's a lot more effective when he gets a book that mostly involves people sittin' down and talking. Or at least simple gunfights ala Punisher.

True, but i thought it was mainly for the same reasons he's put on: character, and nasty-lookin ones at that (Nix, shady Fury, terrorists etc). I mean, Maleev isnt the man with action scenes either, but i guess im quick to look past that sometimes....its only when im completely unclear what's goin on, or how one guy won the fight at all from a few messy panels, like with Templesmith's work (vamp/zombie stuff).

Marvel Team-Up # 10 - Im enjoyin this book, for having no idea what's going on.

Also, the Batman Begins movie adaption was fun cause i loved the movie, but the mini on Ra's (2 books) is interestin...panch'd love it, more zombies (theyre taking over comics this month).

Ultimate X-Men #62: Magnetic North Part 2- This story definitely has promise. I said before that thus far all Vaughan's really done is flesh out the X-gallery of rogues & associates, but here we see his first tackle at Magneto, and also introducing(i'm pretty sure they haven't been seen yet) Havok & Polaris. I'm pretty sure y'all can already tell where this is headed, & it ain't too bad. Would rather Kubert over Immomen though.

JLA # 117: Say what you will about DC, but this is the bridging arc between Identity Crisis & Infinite Crisis as written by [we know we like to thiiiink our shit don't stink]Alan Heinburg & Geoff Johns. Other than the facts established in Identity C, I can't make heads or tails o'this shite. Here's the wrap-up: Buncha lame-o villians formerly mind-wiped have their memories restored and now beat up on a Batmanless JLA. Here's Tom with Sport.

The Devil's Rejects: Never read the comic adaption of a movie, but if there'd been one for 1000 Corpses I'da been on it like white on Nick(cheap, sorry). Aside from the fact I'ma be waiting God-knows-how-long for this, I'll take what I can get for the meantime. Solid little trilogy of stories revolving around the three main characters of the new movie. Wish it'd hurry up & hit Oz. FUCK!!!

Ultimate X-Men Annual #1: S'good to see Marvel doing annuals again. Nice little self-contained story following the adventures of Rogue & Gambit(last seen at the tail-end of the Cry Wolf arc). Gets a bit loopy once the Juggernaut's involved tho. Worth the cover charge though.

Walking Dead #21: Having not read a prior review of an ish of this, I dunno how to solicit it without it sounding like a soapie. It's so bloody character-based. Let's just say Rick tries a new approach to the whole bitten-by-a-zombie-and-now-they're-dead formula. Oh, and there's horrible betrayal... DUN-DUN-DUNNNNNNNN.

Yeah, im pretty much agreein with Skeet's reviewso on UXM & Walking Dead.

Wolverine # 31 - A solid finale to what, at times, felt like an action movie that just happened to feature Logan in it.

It was enjoyable, but im just a lot more hyped on the next issue, supposed to be a WW II flashback, followed by Daniel Way's year-long "quest" for Wolverine's origin, falling out of House of M. The mere prospect of a story that will actually affect the character, unlike the last run and, say, Wolverine vol 1, always gets my hyped.

Daredevil # 76 - "The Murdock Papers" begins! Bendis' final arc on the book, and issue 1 already sets the stage for a finale....jesus, to actually have a creative team on board for several yaers, buidling one arc on another, knowing the whole time it'd culminate to this one....its just so awesome to see. I

Fuck, i wish Wolverine'd get half this much effort. Anyway, if youve been readin this book, i aint gotta sell it here.

next up: get caught up on Black Panther, Fantastic Four, Hellblazer, next Invincible, Nightcrawler (mainly for Robertson's pencils), and The Thousand Deaths of Baron Von Donut.

...is anyone else reading Brubaker's Captain America? This Winter Soldier shit is hot, i cant wait to see how it goes down...

Astonishing X-Men # 12 - Harsh, all around, but certainly leaving some great shit for volume 2..here's to hoping the hiatus isnt too long.

Props again to Whedon & Cassady for not making me cry as much about New X-Men going the way it did.

Ultimate X-Men Annual - Interesting sidestory; seeing Rouge & Gambit feels like the 90's again.

Amazing Spider-Man # 521 or so - How is Hydra still around, is :) fighting in his own continuity...?

Cap'ns right, a solid story so far, fun with the mock Avengers and all, im just dyin to see this next big arc, "evolve or die" or something like that..