Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Movie of the Year

Okay, well it may not be over yet, but by gum it almost is so I think we should have our 2004 Hondo's Movie of the Year awards. How it works is simple. You just post your top ten flicks of the last year (going by films released in the US in 2004, so if it's a foreign flick from 2003 from another country released in the US in 2004 it's all good) in this order

1) least favorite

10) favorite

We'll run until this day next week then I'll tally the votes and see what is "Hondo's Movie of the Year"!

*note if any changes needed to be made (only if movies after the 16th that come out) to your list PM this forums admin.

1) Intermission

2) Napolean Dynamite

3) Maria Full of Grace

4) Control Room

5) Spiderman 2

6) Kill Bill Volume 2

7)Shaun of the Dead

8) Incredibles

9) Garden State

10) Sideways

short list

Fahrenheit 9/11, De La Calle, Super Size Me, Jersey Girl, Dawn of the Dead

editing in three "rockumentaries I forgot about for thr short list

Ramones: End of A Century, MC5: A True Testimonial and Dirty Old Town: Ted Leo and the Pharmascists

1. Saved!

2. Collateral

3. Hero

4. Incredibles

5. Kill Bill 2

6. Napoleon Dynamite

7. Shaun of the Dead

8. Sideways

9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

10. Garden State

Honorable mentions (in no particular order): The Girl Next Door, Dawn of the Dead, Shrek 2, F 9/11, Spiderman 2

From least favourite to favourite:

1. Hero

2. Dawn of the Dead

3. Shrek 2

4. Kill Bill 2

5. Spiderman 2

6. Shaun of the Dead

7. Goodbye Lenin

8. Sideways

9. Touching the Void

10. Napoleon Dynamite

The Goodbye Lenin I wasn't sure about but Rotten Tomatoes has it listed as 2004.

Also up there: Motorcycle Diaries, Eternal Sunshine..., Team America: World Police and Collateral.

I'll pass on this because I haven't seen too many movies this year :D

But definitely Napoleon Dynamite, Shaun of the Dead, Eternal Sunshine, Sideways, and Hero all are up there...did The Girl Next Door come out this year or last? I liked Spiderman2 also...i think I saw it twice in the theatres.

I d/led Garden State, I'll have to watch that soon.

Lessee here I guess this is in order, but they're all damned near a tie

Hero ain't on here cause I saw it like 4 years ago.

1.Team America

2.The Aviator

3.Motorcycle Diaries

4.SpiderMan 2

5.Kill Bill 2

6.Incredibles

7.Garden State

8.Shaun of the Dead

9.Sideways

10.Eternal Sunshine

Honorable mentions are Goodbye Lenin, Collateral, Shrek 2, Harry Potter 3

1. Spiderman 2

2. Dawn of the Dead

3. Dodgeball

4. Zatoichi

5. Incredibles

6. Napoleon Dynamite

7. Garden State

8. Kontroll

9. Shaun of the Dead

10. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Mentions: Bubba Ho-Tep only came out this year over here but it's a last-year movie for you, vice versa for me with Goodbye Lenin!, Kill Bill 2, Saw, and even some of the blockbusters like Troy, I Robot and Day After Tomorrow.

There's a lot of stuff that I've DLed but not watched yet like Collateral, the end of Team America, Motorcycle Diaries, etc that might've made the list, not been the worst year for movies.

Spiderman 2 the best movie of the year. Realy?

I'm not sure I want to itemise this years movies, suffice to say that there isn't a movie on anyone elses list that I have seen that I don't like.

I'll second Kontroll because I don't know if anyone else will.

kontroll10.jpg

Spiderman 2 the best movie of the year. Realy?

I'll second Kontroll because I don't know if anyone else will.

kontroll10.jpg

The song listed at #1 in peoples list is their 10th favorite. It's a little confusing, but that's what 2T asked for...and we always do what 2T says...always.

And I knwo there has been at least one vote for Kontroll.

Also, looking back....

The Goodbye Lenin I wasn't sure about but Rotten Tomatoes has it listed as 2004.

Are you voting for a movie you haven't seen?

Hey, KOS, Jont, what'd you make of "intermission"? and what's Kontroll bout?

Not seen it, I think that's the Irish one with Colin Farrell as a knacker (pikey).

Kontroll as jacked from some guy on imdb:

The film is about a group of ticket inspectors in the Hungarian subway system, with the focus on at least one in particular (Bulcsú). Each character is extremely likable, even the passengers become memorable characters, as none of them buy a ticket and are chased or shaken down by the inspectors, which is commonplace in Hungary. There is even a young girl in a bear suit (don't ask) that is absolutely gorgeous. The interaction between her and Bulcsú is sweet and funny. They had the kind of chemistry that is difficult to capture on film.

The entire film takes place in the underground, which is effectively presented as a separate world than the one above ground. Some characters even talk about "up there" with a child- like wonder in their voices.

The cinematography is beautiful. Some of the scenes or long panning shots in the underground are breathtaking. Who'd a thunk it'd look so cool down there? You can tell the director has a photography background, by the wonderful shots he selected.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the rockin' soundtrack. Unfortunately, the band that did the music (NEO) are no longer together. Lets hope the director gets the soundtrack released.

This film is not all laughs however. It has a very serious side that is dark, and an ending that makes you think.

OK, so I finally saw Napolean Dynamite after getting a copy from IC. Much to my surprise, after hearing nothing but endless praise, I really didn't like the movie. Sure, some parts were funny, but as a whole, the movie was actually kind of weak. Were my expectations high? Yes, but I actually didn't laugh once throughout the whole movie, I only snickered once, during the dance scene. This movie will definitely not go into my top 10 for this year.

I really can't put the movies that I like this year into any order and I probably didn't see enough to make a whole list soooo...

Here's my favorite movies that I saw this year (not all of them came out this actual year):

Aliens V.S. Predator

Equilibrium

Team America

Eternal Sunshine

Ali G: The Movie

Dawn of the Dead

Hero

The Incredibles

Kill Bill 2

The Day After Tomorrow

Dead Leaves

Oh, and the Panch's no-brainer favorite movie of the year (no, EVER)...

Spider-Man 2!! Duh..

Leaders Thus Far (after 5 lists):

1: Shaun Of The Dead (37)

2: Sideways (35)

3: Garden State (33)

4: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (29)

5: Napolean Dynamite (24)

6: Incredibles (23)

7: Kill Bill Vol 2 (20)

8: Spiderman 2 (15)

9: Touching the Void (9)

10: Kontroll (8)

And the rest:

11: Goodbye Lenin! (7)

12=: Hero (4)

12=: Dawn of the Dead (4)

12=: Controll Room (4)

12=: Zatoichi (4)