Hondo's Bar

Concert/Band Information

JunkerSeed

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright so Saturday July 21, I'm going to Warpped Tour located in Bicentennial Park, Miami FL. Any Miami Locals interested????

Also, Jax are you down to see Wu Tang Saturday August 4th? I know you said you were intersted... but is it official? It'd be cool to have you come out!

Edited by Senshik

yeah, sen's heard a few of his choice songs and seems to dig him.

this week, its all having her listen to 36 chambers and illmatic, bound to be some of that, prolly more of their newer stuff but im definitely expecting some classics...cant wait for this show.

WARPED TOUR MIAMI SHOW BANDS PLAYING! (the bold one I wanna check out) - Hey, anyone wanna come with me?!?!??!?!? It's 07/21 Bicentennial Park Miami, FL

Alesana, All Time Low, Amber Pacific, Anberlin, The Automatic Automatic, Bad Religion, Bayside, Big D and the Kids Table, Bleed The Dream, Bless the Fall, Boys Like Girls, The Chariot, Chiodos, Circa Survive, Coheed and Cambria, Cute is What We Aim For, The Dear and Departed, Dont Die Cindy, Drop Dead, Gorgeous, Escape the Fate, Evaline, The Fabulous Rudies, Family Force 5, Funeral For A Friend, Gallows, The Graduate, Haste the Day, Hawthorne Heights, Human Abstract, It Dies Today, Killswitch Engage, K-OS, Mayday Parade, The Matches, Meg and Dia, My American Heart, New Found Glory :whatsthat:, Norma Jean, Nothington, Paramore, Parkway Drive, Pennywise, Pepper, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Revolution Mother, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Spill Canvas, The Starting Line, Straylight Run, Street Drum Corps, Throwdown, Tiger Army, Throw The Fight, The Toasters, The Unseen, The Vincent Black Shadow...

yea... most of these bands I don't konw about... i've been far removed from the scene... My lil brother should know, though... :D

Alright so ah, nothing new worth noticing at Van's warpped tour 2007. I had a descent time but I probably won't go again. I hoenstly felt like an old person there because it was mostly high school kids. During the actual punk bands (old school bad religion and pennywise), I did encounter the older crowd. SOme of the guys were stnading around drinking their beers saying, "i'm too old for this". Yeah.

Well regardless, I lvoed that Pennywise and Bad Religion played most of their old school songs because that's what people wanna hear! I was like YEAAH!!! "SOrrow", "Infected", "Punk Rock Song" by Bad Religion were my favorite. Pennywise did their classic "bro hym tribute" which was awesome! "Fuck Authority", and of course, "SOCIETY"!

Early on, Pepper a band from Hawaii, came on stage opening with, "this is for all of you out there who are wating to see the real punk bands Bad religion and Pennywise, and not this emo bullshit music of today!" So I was like, YEAH!!! They sounded a lot like Sublime so I dug them.

My Review of the Newer bands:

The Chariot - which is what my lil brother was going for, sucked. I didn't like them. THey were way tooooooo fucking hardcore metal for me to enjoy. It sounded more like noise than music. Don't get me wrong I enjoy metal but this just didn't sound like music. I think these kids needed to go back to their garage and practice more.

Killswitch Engage - Sounded like new metal to me, somethign I can't stand. The kids wen't crazy for this... my lil brother thinks their gaahy.

Hawthorne Heights - unfortunately I was stuck under a tent near the stage where this band was palying and they pretty much sucked ass. I didn't liek them at all.

Circa Survive - I didn't mind them too much. THey were pretty fun at performing. You could tell the lead singer was either drunk or high because he kept saying "MI-A-MIii" a million times in between songs.

Norma Jean - was blah. Nothing special in my book.

Coheed and Cambria - was alright. I was expecting much more energy from them. But I think the lead singer was hurt or soemthing because he couldn't hold his guitar too long. I think they were probably tired so their performance wasn't taht good... maybe next time I'll just see them when their touring on their own and not with Vans or soemthing. The final song was "In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3" which was epic, That rocked my wet socks off!

... and various other bands that I don't remember their names because I just thought they were nothing special.

Edited by Senshik

• 1 month later...

Theyre an awesome show, i agree.

Rock the Bells 2007

Opening acts had some good local shit - ill link to the myspace for MayDay, they were a solid Roots-like rap band. Also, i really enjoyed Black Violin, more on both of them later when i can. Ice Water, some group Raekwon was promoting, sucked hard, and said their damn name more than Mike Jones (WHO?) but hey, it worekd: i remember they sucked.

I caught the tail end of Jedi Mind Tricks, which as good from what i heard, not as familiar with em but Doj & others can sing their praise. Immortal Technique was next, and he ripped shit, put on a helluva show with a short set - his freestyle was awesome, really rough: "youll wish you handnt fucked with me, like an AIDS patient..."

I dug it when he talked about how he was glad us whites were there and not at a GOP convention or something. He did some of his lesser-known tracks and still made it work, i dindt think his shit would carry over as well live but he's got a shit-ton of energy.

Pharoe Monch was fun, did a few off his new album that i hadnt heard yet. "Oh no!' didnt work as well without Nate Dogg and Q-Tip being there, but he ended strong with the crowd-pleasing "Simon says".

The big names came up next: Talib was on stage long before he got people going with "Get By", which was of course great. His voice was kidna off though, he really didnt sound like himself, i gues its harder to project his voice live - taht said, some of his newer stuff didnt carry over as well live, my opinion, but he got Mos Def out there for some Blackstar songs (Thieves in the night, Lions of hip hop), really made me happy when he got into the Eternal Reflection shit like "Too Late", that one worked really well.

Even better, Mos took turns with some of his tracks from "Black on both sides" like miss fat booty and such, but not nearly enough of them in my opinion...still, Common showed up to help out, even did his new single "The People" which was a badass surprise since he wasnt even on the ticket.

Unfrotunately - and i dont know if this was 'cause everybody was getting set up or what - Mos had the longest set and spent most of it with stuff off his last album, Tru3 Magic, which really isnt my thing; for those that havent heard it, the Black Johnson thing he's got going feels like he just really got into singing after "Umi says" and wants to do more shit like the Roots, but after his classic first album, it just feels kinda off to me, like he could be doing better.

Nevertheless, when that tied up, Nas made his debut, and he really ran that show - he had a short set, couldntve been more than 20-30 minutes, but he actually managed to go through almost his entire catalogue, from Illmatic (he did almost the whole album!) all the way up to his last one, about 5 albums later, and barely left off any of the best tracks! What was great was he made sure to cover the most mainstream ones ("Owe me back", "If i ruled the world", "Oochie Wally", even if i hates that one) and still took out time to cover his lesser-known tracks and shout out to his underground fans, before performing "Get Down", "No idea's original" and such. Seriously, he covered about every track i can think of (outside of "Rewind" and "Undying Love", not sure how those'd carry over), as well as all of Illmatic, and it didnt feel rushed. Nas was a fucking highlight.

Of course, the Wu tore it up. id say their set was too short, but id likely say taht if they had another hour, to be fair. Everybody was there (sans ODB, RIP) and they did most of 36 Chambers, about every song i can think of exept "Protect Ya Neck" and "Shame on a nigga". By the time they made it to Wu-Tang Forever and went to "Triumph" i lost it, the energy they brought had me enjoy even the few verses i didnt like as much. They did a short tribute to ODB, talked about real hip hop and had me agreeing till my voice was sore ("I LOVE YOU RZA!") and did some outside tracks like "Ice Cream", even let Method go crazy with "Bring the Pain" solo. I thnk Sen really dug "M-E-T-H-O-D, MAN" which was cool. By the time they did "Gravel Pit" for an encore, i think Sen says i was between moshing and offering to have their babies, so needles to say, a good time was had. Surprised we didnt hear anythign off their forthcoming album, but it was cool to get all the classics in their short set.

Overall? That was a helluva fucking show for only $40 or so. They said theyre trying to bring the venue back more often, hopefully with some of the acts we missed like The Roots, MF Doom, Public Enemy and others, id definitely go again if i saw those names on the ticket. This was the best concert i think ive been to, even the music they had between sets was quality underground shit...this is what hip-hop sounds like.

• 2 weeks later...

Miami

9/14/2007 & 9/15/2007 Dave Matthews Band Sound Advice Amphitheatre

9/14/2007 Daddy Yankee AA Arena

9/15/2007 Heaven & Hell w/ Alice Cooper and Queensryche BankAtlantic Center

9/25/2007 Dropkick Murphys Revolution

9/25/2007 Live and Collective Soul Mizner Park Amphitheater

9/25/2007 & 9/26/2007 Henry Rollins The Theatre

10/06/2007 Orishas, Calle 13 & Pitbull Bayfront Park Amphitheatre

10/07/2007 Velvet Revolver & Alice in Chains Sound Advice Amphitheatre

10/10/2007 & 10/11/2007 & 10/12/2007 Ricky Martin Jackie Gleason Theatre

10/11/2007 Rodrigo y Gabriela Studio A ***I am SO there!

10/12/2007 Puddle of Mudd & Saliva Revolution

10/12/2007 Mana AA Arena

10/14/2007 Chevelle Revolution

10/16/2007 New Found Glory Revolution

10/18/2007 Kid Rock Jackie Gleason Theater

10/20/2007 Maroon 5 BankAtlantic Center

10/23/2007 Blues Traveler The Mojo Room

10/23/2007 Evanescence BankUnited Center

10/31/2007 Fall Out Boy Jackie Gleason Theater

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone interested in BONNAROO 2008?

helluva list:

* Pearl Jam

* Metallica

* Jack Johnson

* Kanye West

* Chris Rock

* Robert Plant and Alison Krauss featuring T Bone Burnett

* Phil Lesh & Friends

* My Morning Jacket

* The Raconteurs

* Willie Nelson

* Death Cab for Cutie

* Tiësto

* B.B. King

* Sigur Rós

* Levon Helm and the Ramble on the Road

* Ben Folds

* O.A.R.

* Cat Power

* The Bluegrass Allstars

* M.I.A.

* Umphrey's McGee

* Iron & Wine

* Stephen Marley

* Yonder Mountain String Band

* The Swell Season

* Zappa Plays Zappa

* Talib Kweli

* Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Soul Stew Revival

* Gogol Bordello

* Broken Social Scene

* Bonnaroo Late Night Chat About with David Cross

* Robert Randolph's Revival

* Rilo Kiley

* The Disco Biscuits

* Mastodon

* Lupe Fiasco

* Against Me!

* Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings

* Pat Green

* Ozomatli

* Tegan & Sara

* Solomon Burke

* Drive-By Truckers

* MSTRKRFT

* !!!

* The Avett Brothers

* Israel Vibration

* Abigail Washburn & The Sparrow Quartet featuring Béla Fleck

* Larry Campbell, Jackie Greene, Phil Lesh & Teresa Williams

* Aimee Mann

* Ladytron

* Janeane Garofalo

* The Fiery Furnaces

* Money Mark

* Orchestra Baobab

* Ghostland Observatory

* José González

* Dark Star Orchestra

* Zach Galifianakis

* Minus the Bear

* Donavon Frankenreiter

* Lez Zeppelin

* State Radio

* The Coup

* Battles

* The Wood Brothers

* Jakob Dylan and the Gold Mountain Rebels

* Jim Norton

* Two Gallants

* The Sword

* Vampire Weekend

* Little Feat

* Nicole Atkins

* Chromeo

* Brian Posehn

* The Felice Brothers

* Mason Jennings

* Mike Birbiglia

* MGMT

* The Lee Boys

* Rogue Wave

* Serena Ryder

* Steel Train

* Grupo Fantasma

* John Mulaney

* Back Door Slam

* Michelle Buteau

* Newton Faulkner

* Alana Grace

* Amy LaVere

* Bear In Heaven

* Bombadil

* Carney

* Colour Revolt

* Cornmeal

* De Novo Dahl

* Dead Confederate

* Electric Touch

* Erick Baker

* Extra Golden

* Howlin Rain

* Jake Shimabukuro

* Jessie Baylin

* Jypsi

* K'NAAN

* Lord T & Eloise

* Mike Farris featuring Roseland Rhythm Revue

* The Nikhil Korula Band

* Nomo

* Person L

* Phonograph

* Rotary Downs

* Royal Bangs

* Scissormen

* Sometymes Why

* stephaniesĭd

* The Afromotive

* The American Plague

* The Big Sleep

* The Duhks

* the everybodyfields

* The Greencards

* The Weather Underground

* Your Vegas

PS sen's brother does Warped Tour, i think some other Hononidan recently was saying he had passes or something.