Hondo's Bar

Marvel: Civil War

The NZA

Civil War  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Curious as hell about that spoiler Nick, I somehow had a feeling about that one... Could be alla green.

Anyways, Aunt May came back well before JMS jumped on. Hell, he was still unheard of & Rising Stars was an Indie title when they brought back Aunt May. It was right before the big relaunch of 99 that lost my interest entirely(they were trynna make up for giving Byrne a bom-bad origin title) which was a good two years before JMS jumped on. This is still back when Bob Harras ranna show and an issue of X-men & a ride on the trolley down to the talkies only cost a dollar. The free-and-easy spidey's been done too, I believe it was Paul Jenkins that either brought MJ back to life or un-divorced them or something. I remember it shitty rendering by JRjr(as usual) he was living with Robbie Robertson's son & bangin' some jamaican chick. He really had no fun, other than dipping into who!? Was it one've MJ's Psych degree friends or one've Gwen Stacy's friends or somethin'. Panch, feel free to help me out here, she had black hair...

yeah, youre right, my time frame was way off. i just knew the book was shit till JMS came on, cause i was a big Spidey fan in the 90's and i woudlnt touch the title after Peter took the webs back up until that point, didnt even read when May came back, to be honest...and i really enjoyed #400, was touching shit when she "died".

Im not arguin for or against single, laid-back Spidey, but according to Joe Q's weekly interviews at Newsarama, he's said more than a few times he personally thinks pete's lost his edge, his common touch or somethin similar by being married & settled down with a supermodel. Personally, when civil war ties up? i dont care if he's with her or not, id just like to see Amazing go back to how it was when i dug it: spidey fights like every marvel baddie, one at a time, drawn by Bagley when he drew like he did back then. I honestly had more fun with the title when Spidey coudl fight the Hulk (for some reason) in one issue, next issue it was like a 3-parter with Venom and Carnage and Cardiac or something. anyway...

oh yeah, MJ was questionably dead with somehtin to do with Dr Doom, right? and seperated till JMS fixed that. either way, i still say she's a viable candidate if someone big's gotta die. its still funny to see the smaler bits in frontline, though, as if theyre more important...."Sweet fuckall, firestar's haning up the costume? who's going to protect the, uh, deli on 103rd?"

I dunno man, MJ I still feel is pretty incidental. Last time I read spidey with any regularity was when she was gone, then back & not innerested using the cop's wife' argument(warranted sure, but isn't entertaining). Aunt May, no matter how irritating, is gonna cause a massive inpact(bear in mind too I haven't read #400). MJ departing to me's about the same as Jean Grey dying. We'll piss off downa pub until she's back or the new model steps off the showroom floor.

I heard MC2 was ending, but also, in MC2 they never mentioned spiderwoman's origins beyond simply saying she was "the daughter of spiderman and MJ," nothing was said about "and then as a baby I was held in the hymalayas by a doomsday cult for several years." So, you're all saying nothing has been mentioned in the current comics about little baby May?

Oh, and Peter and MJ have already been seperated for a year or so but that didn't sell comics well so they got back together, and while that was going on Peter and his powers have already been "changed" with some sort of Inca warrior spider right of something... there's some old dude with spider powers out there who is Peter's Guru and talks about Myan pyramids and how Peter's spider powers were "mystical" in nature and not the true product of some radioactive spider bite... that's pretty much when I got fed up with it a couple of years ago...

I dont see why not...wait, it comes out this summer? He's gettin a new book right now, anyway...

Iron Man's coming out in two years, but you gotta build a character up. I'm guessing Marvel's hoping to propel Iron Man to Spidey/Wolvy status in two year's time.

By the way, Nick, Bishopcruz and Drifter were saying Adam "Firefly's Jayne" Baldwin should play Tony Stark/Iron Man in the movie. Whatcha think? Is this possibly a better choice than Bruce Cambell?

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

Arch- It's all inna suit. Seriously, if my ADD-riddled whitebread can focusd long enough to read that friggin' wiki link yours can too damnit! Stop cheating & suffer like the rest've us! Aside, he does have some new freaky-deaky abilities thanks to reconsiling with his 'other'.

Drifter- That's-a Hezekiel you're bitching 'bout and yeah, t'was lame-o stuff. I read maybe one or two've JMS' arcs in trade 'cause by that point i'd pretty much stopped buying Spidey outside've big events, but was never really impressed with his jazz. JRjr's pencils don't help none neither.

By the way, Nick, Bishopcruz and Drifter were saying Adam "Firefly's Jayne" Baldwin should play Tony Stark/Iron Man in the movie. Whatcha think? Is this possibly a better choice than Bruce Cambell?

I don't know if Bruce Campbell would be good for the role, it would be kind of like casting Charlie Sheen in Top Gun. But if you're looking for someone who's smooth, man-pretty and can do action I suggest Josh Lucas

can someone answer my question? lol

what new 'powers' are you talkin' about, Nick? Not quite sure I follow (unless you mean the suit).

Wiki

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

and no, i dont think ive seen him use them once since, except for the stingers from his arms or whatever.

So I caught ish 2 of Civil War. Those dirty ratzi bastards aren't gonna catch me sleepin' next time. Big Props to the Filthy Assistant for mailing it to me all sealed & boarded & everything(after like, three days of antagonizing postcards. Bitch knows hota make a guy sweat.) and WOW. Ya think you're prepared for that splash but nope, it still floored me. Cap popping in-and-off the grid to beat the shit outta morts ain't half bad neither.

Bah. Last scene wasn't anything I could get excited about. I'm just heart-broken at how hard the pro-rego crew are gunning Cap. Then there was the Herc bit. Like I need a reason to resent

any more than I already did.

so, our absentee Skeeter complains that there's not enough talk on this thread, that his vile pro-reg stance remains unchallenged. i shall reiterate our current points and hope that others who're against this'll do likewise, all 2 of you.

I know the anonnymity thing/traditin is a weak argument from Falcoln. Good intentions aside, these people do/have acted outside the law for years, and i like how they point out most of them dont even stay around to officially transfer a citizen's arrest. With my licenses, i can appreciate the need for standardization.

But this is going about it wrong.

1) Employing them federally and giving them S.H.I.E.L.D. assignments/posts leads them directly down the "pre-emptive strike" road the Ultimates took, becoming government/corporate tools. These people want to serve the interests of americans in the streets, not the administration overseas and such. Cap would not be down for this.

and that's not even figuring in how corrupt SHIELD is right now.

2) Cap makes the point in # 3 about how safe does Mary Jane feel now that spidey's huge villian cast can find her? Saying that judges and federal agents and such have to deal with threats all the time isnt the same; these are people who have vengeful, homicidal super-powered maniacs after them. If you were Peter, you honestly think keeping May and Mary in Stark Tower means theyre safe from say, Carnage knowing where to find them? The last Avengers mansion got burned down, you know.

3) Those that do sell out play ball for the government, some are being forced to violently hunt down their friends, taking crews of "cape-killers" with them in tow in case they dont fall in line.

Stark, Thing, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel, all of them are huge sellouts who mayve intended well, tryin to meet with Cap and spread the word of whatever dangerous new containment plan Reed & Tony are working on, but they brought an army of trained special-ops to their door to mow their friends down if things went south, as they were going to. To me, that looks more like they care about their agenda over their friends.

I know everyone's playing a part, but again, how do you see the pro-reg people as not being villified sellouts? Stark got more character inmy book, but Rogers and his "fuck them, let's keep doing our thing and fighting crime" team just looked like 10x cooler now too.

It's funny when you think about it. The anti-group are out in the street fighting to keep the people safe an saving live's. Then you look at the pro-group and all they have is a hard on to track all hero's who don't want to become a government/corporate tool. What has the pro-group done other then look for cap an his crew.

Its true, theyre kinda off-duty and the book keeps saying the villains are unifying and expoliting this, but in the civil war books ive read so far (frontline, wolverine, cable & deadpool etc) everyone's either running or taking jobs hunting others. i havent seen much of the villians - mebbe cause i havent caught up on Thunderbolts yet.

Thing is...Tony seemd to have his hand out (you read # 3 yet? if not, dont read this man) tryin to explain his master plan to Cap.

This project 47 or whatever it is, Tony & Reed, some of the Marvel U's brightest, they seem to think this'll fix the villian problem and a host of otehrs, somehow, and Cap didnt give him the chance to lay it out.

They did a good job at points making me believe these guys think theyre doing the right thing, and Skeet's right, in reality the pro-reg thing'd be a given, but its the way theyre going about this (hunting down) that's poor. Then again, Stark cited something like 90% favorability with the people for the current plan; that could be either before things got harsh, or like 9-11, how americans wanted blood afterards: after the Stamford incident, people want full accoutnability, and seem pretty much ok with whatever means are used to get it (i liked the conversation between the 2 nurses in the hospital scene).

yeah, Z-Cult put it out in last week's DCP release, on tracker B. Im sure Pirate Bay and other sites have it, too, in that DCP pack.

Its a big storyline though, few major things oughta happen as it goes along, so ima try not to spoil it nonetheless.

So that's where Osbourne's at? That's gonna be some cool & freaky shit. I'm suprised more Osbourne/Stark relations haven't come out before(wouldn't suprise me if Osbourne's funding a chunk've Stark's initiative in return for certain uh... Concessions). And Nick? S'what I'm saying too. I can't help but be logical on this one, and logically speaking this is pretty much the only route can be taken without something like Kingdom Come(though it already IS disturbingly close). Still, I'm fucking appalled at how hard & dirty the pro-crew's gunning for Cap. It's a tough one for sure.

My biggest problem with the pro-reg thing is that it is mandatory even if you are retired or no longer want to fight. New Avengers dealt with this with Luke and Jessica:

What gets me is the sheer hardcore zeal that the pro-reg people have. I swear for those like Reed and Tony it's almost a religious thing.