Hondo's Bar

Speed runs & perfect games

MusicManiac

goddammit, i cant find that older thread on SMB3 being beaten in like 7 minutes.....i need to make one big Time Attack thread.

If you dig this sorta thing - and how couldnt you? - check out This site for tons of NES ones.

Ima go watch this one right now, cant wait tho....64's one of my favorite mario games.

ok, that shit was awesome.

I actually get nervous watching people playing platformers that fast.....i had no idea about those shortcuts he used......that stupid bunny can glitch you through a star door?

He just...he blazed through levels i remember taking me hours....haha. Badass link, MM.

• 8 months later...
If it's anything like the video of the guy who bet Super MArio Bros 3 in like 11 minutes, he used an emulator to slow the game down considerablely, played it through recording it, then speed the playback up the same margin he slowed downt eh game to play it.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I thought the game play was running a little faster than it should've been.

the game itself has adjustable speed, i dont know if it was running anything outta normal, but...either way, damn! this kid's impressive.

I always liked Zangief, he gets slept on but he's powerful, and this kid learned the juggles (a couple high, then low, enough to make sure you dont fall down), and how much even rapid jabs do to your opponent...you see that Fei Long battle? 9 hit combo! he barely uses feirce attacks, and disproves my complaint taht Zangief gets owned in the air by Chun Li or Vega.

Reminds me of this ghetto party i was at, was talking shit about my SF skills (which are nowhere near that kid's) and this random thug kid just offered "Zangief...fucks niggas up, ya heard?!"

anyway, thanks for the link acal, and props to the player :boink:

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Super Mario Bros speed run...crashes & burns on level 8-3...in front of Miyamoto. :embarassed:

smb.jpg

talk about being put on the spot...kid tore it up for most of the game, though, so props.

also, the re-opening of the Nintendo World store was glorious.

v8eerc.jpg

72gjfk.jpg

and finally, how i would've performed with Shiggy looking over my shoulder:

super-mario-bros-duck-hunt-u-_001.jpg

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtDl-0B5U-g?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtDl-0B5U-g?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtDl-0B5U-g?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

My whole childhood in 20 minutes, what a cunt.

You mean the 1:45 achievement, its not too hard it took me about 10 trys. You just need to save often.

This is the guide I used.

- Spin Dash up and over the quarter pipe, and Spin Dash again taking the

lower route.

- Follow the hill and loop-de-loops round, progress right until you come to

a column with moving blocks.

- Get up them and over, going through the booster and through the loops.

After the first loop, SAVE YOUR GAME. At the end of the third loop you can

jump upward just before / on the quarter pipe to reach a gateway above

the path you are supposed to follow. This is quite tough to time right,

and I found it helps to hold Up and jump just before the quarter pipe to

shoot near vertically up to reach it. If you are confused, check the speed

run. Assuming you saved it, keep trying it until you do it.

- If you managed it, then Spin Dash up the gradient, past the blue spheres to

the Finishing Post. You should finish with in a good 30 second time.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

..crashes & burns on level 8-3...

8-3 is HARD AS BALLS SON! N dont get me started on 8-3 in lost lvls...

But anyway I can do a perfect game in street fighter ii championship Ed. And megaman 4 on nes.

I assure you my childhood was complete o_O

Almost did xmen c.o.t.a. just so I could fight akuma but juggernaut made me block T_T.

Edited by IceManML

The closest I got to any of this (and I was no where near any of these people) was Sonic 2. I could beat that game with losing a life. That's it.

Oh, and I could beat everyone I knew at TMNT: Tournament Fighters. And if you knew how insanely awesome my friend Ariel was at ALL fighting games then you would agree that was a feat.

I wasn't ever good at video games like Ariel, Nick and them :/