Hondo's Bar

Rock Band

Silent Bob

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.

Rock Band attempt to some how top that was Timmy! by Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld from the Timmy 2000 episode of South Park. This is evidence that Harmonix doesn't take itself too seriously to discriminate against a Jonathan Coulton song, at least according to baytor it's evidence.

This is evidence that Harmonix doesn't take itself too seriously to discriminate against a Jonathan Coulton song, at least according to baytor it's evidence.

I made no such claims. I do however note that at the moment Still Alive is the tits and all those nutty kids not only have played Portal but love the shit out of this song. So even though Code Monkey is one of Coulton's more famous songs, this one is more popular right now. Plus it let's Harmonix leech off of Valve's success, and who doesn't want a piece of that?

Is there a full band version? With like drums and bass? I can't find it if there is. Not that Coulton wouldn't be u for making one specifically for Harmonix....

There's more than one version of this song. The one used for the game which is mostly synthesized and the version he performs on stage where he does the vocals and I believe there are actual instruments. And as you said, he would easily write one.

Also I'm not aware of any other songs with the title Still Alive, are you?

Yep, actually it was confirmed today by Harmonix at GDC.

From a staff blog post at rockband.com

At around 10:00pm Jonathan took the stage. A bunch of us crowded up front, because we frankly have a bit of a man crush on him, and watched him run through his setlist. Right towards the end he announced he had only one left...

"I'd like to invite a couple of my friends up here to help me with my last song."

That is when we jumped on-stage and pulled out our Rock Band equipment piece by piece. Dan Teasdale (one of our senior designers) started picking a three person band with Jonathan and Alex Rigopulos (co-founder of Harmonix and head honcho). When they got to the song list they scrolled through an almost infinite amount of DLC until eventually they stopped on one-

"Still Alive" by GLaDOS

ALERT- THIS WAS A SPECIAL PREVIEW OF THIS SONG. IT WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE AS DLC AT A FUTURE DATE. WHEN I KNOW WHEN I'LL LET YOU KNOW. I NOW RETURN YOU TO THE NARRATIVE.

Yup. That is the song that Jonathan wrote that is the credits song at the end of Portal. The crowd went nuts. Earlier we had turned the backing vocals all the way down and the microphone vocals all the way up so we could actually hear his voice instead of GLaDOS. Alex was on drums ruling it, and Dan Teasdale held his own on guitar. By the end of the song even the people in the back of the room were screaming. It was an awesome way to debut a song we've been working on.

So awesome that one dude tried to jump onstage and steal the song onto a memory card he had in his pocket (who walks around with a memory card in their pocket at all times, just in case?) That was weird.

At any rate, it went very well, and everyone from Jonathan, to Harmonix, to Valve, to the other developers were stoked. I'd personally like to thank everybody for an incredible night but especially Doug Lombardi, Jonathan Coulton, the amazing staff at Temple, and our audio team for getting the song done in time.

Is there a full band version? With like drums and bass? I can't find it if there is. Not that Coulton wouldn't be u for making one specifically for Harmonix....

The one for the game is a full band version. Most of the bass and drum stuff starts about 50 seconds into the song...sounds pretty simple, though. Would be cool if there was an extended version just for the game, though I'm happy with anything at this point, haha.

yeah, St. Anger wasnt very good from what id heard.

and i guess im the only one who's not as hyped about "Still Alive", i dig the esoteric thing but i was just getting over the overused cake jokes, i fear the awesomeness of this song'll be damaged by overplaying it. then again, Trogdor held up, so mebbe im wrong.

except on games, where im spot on, while i think you were right once, around 2004, and only then because i think you misspelled nintendo.

seriously, it was among the greatest ending songs ive ever heard, but running it into the ground isnt helping that. In related news, however, the inevitable Portal sequel just got (mostly) confirmed at GDC.

Archived