Hondo's Bar

Transformers - More than Meets the Eye

And yes, Grimlock had better make an appearance in the 3rd movie. If they want to make him turn into a tank or some shit, okay that's fine, just so long as he talks like a caveman and is still the ultimate badass.

NO! He must be a t-Rex!

My favorite part of that entire article is the quote from Simon Furman. It doesn't hurt that Simon Furman is a giant block of awesome carved into the shape of a man.

Simon Furman is the best Transformers writer EVER! That man is the Bendis of that property!

Edited by Iambaytor

You know, all this Transformers 2 hate is actually bothering me. I was just on the phone with Jon (Spacecowboy) for an hour and couldn't believe his anti-love (not really hate). I'm disappointed that more people didn't like it...

I liked it well enough. My expectations were lowered after reading all the negative web feedback, so that might have something to do w/ it.

about what? that i didn't like it more?

off the top of my head here are the top 3 things that kept me from gushing over T:ROTF and having the same kind of cimematic geekgasm that i did w/ the first film:

3. The Twins.

I already made the analogy w/ Jar-Jar. What are they, Jazz's retarded offspring?

Transforminator.

Although the tongue thing was creepy cool.

1. The Plot.

WTF about the 8 primes, the shit being in his brain, weird MATRIX thing going in him, *BAMFing* Transformers, Cockney accent Jetfire, and about a dozen other nonsensical plot moments.

I saw it and I really had a great time, very entertaining from beginning to end. The only thing that kind of slightly annoyed me a itsy bit was Megan Fox acting but good thing all the action and robot smashing kept me distracted, the story line was diff and fun.

Maybe its because I'm use to or I only see her doing the unattainable girl role and when she was doing the whole "say you love wahh wahh wahh" Girl you almost just got killed by Huge Robots....it seemed out of place or forced.... shrugs* good thing shes amazingly hot.

Oh and the ghetto robots meant for comic relief border lined on racist and annoying.

Where'd Panch, go?

Sorry, back now.

about what? that i didn't like it more?

No, I was just saying in general. People just not liking it.

off the top of my head here are the top 3 things that kept me from gushing over T:ROTF and having the same kind of cimematic geekgasm that i did w/ the first film:

3. The Twins.

I already made the analogy w/ Jar-Jar. What are they, Jazz's retarded offspring?

I thought they were funny. I imagined them as two wannabe wigger douche bags and got a laugh at the whole thing.

Transforminator.

Although the tongue thing was creepy cool.

What didn't you like about that. A hot chick to rival Megan Fox's hot chickness.

AND she turned out to be a Decepticon?

GREAT!

1. The Plot.

WTF about the 8 primes, the shit being in his brain, weird MATRIX thing going in him, *BAMFing* Transformers, Cockney accent Jetfire, and about a dozen other nonsensical plot moments.

I thought it was a great plot. Also, who goes to watch for all the little things? Big robots a plenty! What's to hate?!

Bottom line... Ruca said it: I had fun beginning to end. And that's pretty much it.

Just saw the movie and I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't half bad, wasn't that good, but I went in expecting utter crap and came out mildly entertained.

I didn't really have too many problems with the plot. While not quite faithful to the old mythos (there was a lot in the comics that I never got behind) I had no problem with

multiple primes and The Fallen

(ironically, that part was directly taken from the comics).

Once you can get past the changes that were made from the original material (and that soul-searching should have happened after the first movie) and compare this film to the first one; you're not going to be disappointed.

I can also appreciate the tongue and cheek humor of the movie and was able to stomach the worst of it with the 90's racial stereotypes and even chuckled at the "Wrecking-ball robot testicles" (and I'm also amazed that they were able to make Wheelie even MORE annoying than he was in the animated series).

And I must admit that I'm looking forward to the next one.

Edited by Drifter

• 3 weeks later...
Click this

And yes, Grimlock had better make an appearance in the 3rd movie. If they want to make him turn into a tank or some shit, okay that's fine, just so long as he talks like a caveman and is still the ultimate badass. (And if they make the 3rd movie Unicron then they really need to toss in Wreck-Gar and have him voiced by Weird Al Yankovic like he was in the cartoon)

Also:

“ It is a mistake to suppose that men succeed through success; they much oftener succeed through failures. ”

—Pat Lee[35]

That's right up there with "Get use to gettin' used" and "I would never want a book's autograph" I think he and Kanye take turns licking the lead paint off of recalled Dora the Explorer toys in a Chinese toy factory.

http://shortpacked.com/d/20050829.html

Something from the time, just came across.

Yeah I figured one would lead to the others. I'm sick as shit at work, and just working my way from the start through to when I finish(the first strip dates back to 05, and they seem a bit more diligent than PA with the three a week thing.

• 9 years later...
On 12/17/2018 at 1:37 PM, Axels said:

So Bumblebee is getting really good reviews. Like really good.

It's got G1 inspired Transformer designs, Autobot v Decepticon battle action on Cybertron, and muhfuh triple changers! All of those are reasons for any Transformers fan to see it on a big screen. However, be prepared to be actively bored and confused by some ponderous script decisions for the remainder of the film. There was a family with four kids in front of us and I was paying attention to their conversations for a good 20 minutes in act 2 of the film. But it's still probably the best Transformers "live action" film yet to be released. I only say probably because it's been about a decade since I saw the first Bayformers film, so I'd have to re-watch it before I definitively give Bumblebee the official title.

It's very much Amblin inspired.  Basically it's the movie Monster Trucks, but with considerably better writing and a more enjoyable lead.  There's shades of E.T. and The Iron Giant along with some love for the old Transformers cartoons but a version that's actually more akin to what you remember in the nostalgia nodes of your brain and not the shabby reality of cheaply produced animation.  It's a small movie, there's really only 3 robots in the movie aside from some extras at the beginning and end and it's very much about the human characters.  Basically imagine the first movie but only the first act without all the weird Michael Bay stuff.  It's very solidly made, there's some good supporting cast members in John Cena and Pamela Adlon and Hailee Steinfeld really proves that she deserves more leading roles.