Hondo's Bar

Transformers - More than Meets the Eye

Well just got back from seeing Transformers. And holy hell, I haven't geeked out to a film like this for some time. I'll be the first to admit it slows down a bit at the beginning, but man oh man, once it gets going, it never stops. The overall story is Transformers enough, if a little uninspired, but it really doesn't matter. They NAILED Optimus Prime in the film, and he carries a lot of it, and if you were ever a Transformers fan, you will be giddy. This movie was AMAZING. It's Big Honkin' Robots beating the shit out of eachother, and it is completely unmatched in that. The effects are great, the designs work, and the personalities of the robots are spot on.

I had been worried that there would be little individual personality for the robots themselves, but thankfully that was not the case. And hey, Michael Bay, I know, but he got it. Prime and Megatron were iconic, Starscream was perfect, and it has been years since I found myself cheering in a movie theater. I was here, and often.

Anyone else catch this one yet?

Was supposted to go with Jax last night, but he decided that getting laid would be better that watching Transformers with me! But it wasn't even that he was getting booty for sure... it was the possibility of getting it! Whatever happened to bros (and robots) before hoes? In his defense... I've sold out... a lot!

I wasn't so hot on it. I was actually expecting better, cause it's been getting good buzz but it kind of bored me. It was way too long, there was a pretty huge stretch in the middle that was nothing but people yelling military jargon into radios, and it had us following three groups of human storylines (what is this, the fucking magnolia of transforming robot movies?). I did enjoy the action, though I thought the end was anticlimactic.

I did like a lot about it, the Transformers themselves were handled perfectly, looked good, acted well, etc. The action was above average, and the CG was great.

I just really didn't like any of the human writing, none of the dialogue was as witty as it was pretending to be, and I thought the pacing was really uneven and awkward. But this is coming from a complete non fanboy; I watched it as if I'd never heard what a Transformer was, and the movie was just called "Shia Lebouf and the giant robots" so take my opinion for what it is, but I was dissapointed; Bay usually doesn't make my favorite movies, but he rarely has me dozing off in my seat like this did.

Edited by JunkerSeed

I'll ignore the last post. I'm still expecting great things. Give Michael Bay a break everyone. The man made Bad Boys for fuck sake!

Me and DoJ are planning a cinema day cos Transformers and The Simpsons come out on the same weekend here. Both movies in one day baby!

Saw this today! I really, really enjoyed it, and I chuckled quite a bit at the funny, although a little silly, jokes throughout the film. We went by Blockbuster to return a movie and say hi to a friend, and we got the first copy of the game for 360! They hadn't put it out on the shelves yet. The game is pretty badass and fun to watch if you're not playing. I like the fact that you can be an Autobot or a Deceptacon if you choose.

Fun Fact: Peter Cullen who voiced Optimus Prime in the '86 movie and the TV Series (and more) also voices OP in the movie. Sa-wheet!!

I think junker & I are polar opposites in everyway and I think he's my new judgement yardstick. 'Do the opposite of Junker'. No lie, this movie was awesome, and it even won Alana over. I was just pleasantly for most of it, just enjoying the fact that Bumblebee's getting some credibility 20 years later, and then I saw Jazz and lost it. God this was awesome.

YAR!!! this movie was fun (if you were expecting or are expecting anything deep...just stop. i mean really). and made me want to hump the screen after it was over.

I watched the original cartoon movie (anyone know when that was made? I'm too lazy to look it up) and even that one was fun...if in the campy way. So yeah, you want some robotic ass kicking go see the darn movie. If you want to see deep and meaningful go see....uhh....something else.

What is with all the Micheal Bay haterz anyways? people flock to see crap on my ass such as Dude, Where's My Car? and Norbit these days... I just don't get it.

At least Micheal Bay movies have action and bad comedy thrown in with the stupid. Give the guy a break!

OI! the game kicks ass, the husband and the kiddo have been tag teaming it all week.

I think junker & I are polar opposites in everyway and I think he's my new judgement yardstick. 'Do the opposite of Junker'.

This is why you dont get christmas cards.

surprised to hear this one was not ass, i might see it sometime in the future but ive spent as much as i intend to at theatres these last few weeks.

any gamers reading this, please remember: the movie's performance has fuckall to do with the game's. please read reviews before puting your $60 and saying "its ok to keep shitting on me."

To be fair, I wasn't expecting anything deep from this, I actually thought that considering its 2 and a half hour running time, it was a bit short on action scenes and Transformers, and a bit heavy on computer hacking and the Altmanesque ensemble cast of human characters. There was easily 45 minutes worth of stuff in there that I could have completely done without. If I am to be faulted for thinking the movie about giant transforming robots should be fast paced and light on the not so interesting human character development and convoluted plot; then so be it.

Best movie of the year next to 300! Period! What a great movie! Way better than I thought and I knew it was gonna be good! I went to buy the 360 game right after and the game is cool too! I also bought the '86 Transformers movie soundtrack and burned it to my 360 hard drive! Now when I play the game I got "YOU GOT THE TOUCH!!" playin' in the background!

To be fair, I wasn't expecting anything deep from this, I actually thought that considering its 2 and a half hour running time, it was a bit short on action scenes and Transformers, and a bit heavy on computer hacking and the Altmanesque ensemble cast of human characters. There was easily 45 minutes worth of stuff in there that I could have completely done without. If I am to be faulted for thinking the movie about giant transforming robots should be fast paced and light on the not so interesting human character development and convoluted plot; then so be it.

2nd.

For a movie called Transformers they had a small part in their own movie.

I loved how this movie was, especially the cheesy parts

The mountain dew, X-box 360, and steering wheel transformers. Agent Simmons and Sam's Parents, hell even Bernie Mack was great. But my favorite part had to be that the transformers were responsible for every piece of technology humanity has ever had. Elias was right! The Transformers ARE a gift from God, Randall!

I thought Sam's plot (Jesus I keep wanting to call him Buster) and the soldiers' plots were good and you can never go wrong with some John Turturro. However I could have done without our two main scifi movie stereotypes: Foxy blonde supergenius with an accent and nerdy guy who is the ultimate super hacker (of ultimate destiny)

Though Ironhide, Jazz, and Ratchet did almost nothing. And let's face it

Bonecrusher went like a bitch. I'm talking like Darth Maul levels of cheap dying here.

and perhaps I missed this but what happened to Scorponok and whatever the hell the police car was named? Aren't they still around?

I thoroughly enjoyed it. At times I felt just as did back when I saw Independence Day for the first time in the theaters.

That is the same thing I said when I watched it...I even got a little choked up listening to Optimus Prime talk...