Hondo's Bar

Whats with all the hype?

I've heard so much about Borat and how it was one of the funniest movies ever but I finally got around to watching it and to be perfectly honest I'd only give it 6/10. There was a few laugh out loud moments but overall I thought it was just recycling the same joke over and over.

But if I ever said this in front of my friends I'd probably have something thrown at me.

What really gets me are those movies that EVERY critic rates as a "Must see" or "5 stars" or "Oscar-worthy", and when I go see them, they suck ass. A good example was Crash, movie had high ratings and won several Oscars and Golden Globes I believed, but I thought the movie sucked big time.

Of course not: you had your 'taste' burned off while watching The Village People's Reunion Tour.

Yeah... I'ma give you another go at that. That insult was WEAK.

I don't know, I just can't sit through them. I end up wondering what else is on. I was able to sit all the way through a couple of the Connery ones but they're nothing I would actively seek out.

so by your definition, the simpsons movie is setting itself up to fail?

There are some exceptions to the rule, and The Simpsons movie is indeed one of them. I don't give a flying rat's ass what the critics say about the movie, I am gonna see it no matter what! :cheers:

What really gets me are those movies that EVERY critic rates as a "Must see" or "5 stars" or "Oscar-worthy", and when I go see them, they suck ass. A good example was Crash, movie had high ratings and won several Oscars and Golden Globes I believed, but I thought the movie sucked big time.

I couldn't care lees about the fucking Oscars. A stupid ceremony that awards the movies that they made. It couldn't be more hypocrit, i tell you. When someones tells me that, a movie it's really good because it won 234 oscars, generally I ended up not seeing it. Because there's a big probability that SUCKS!

So fuck the Oscars, fuck the critics...

I didn't see Borat, and I'm not planning on seeing it in the near future...

cmimson: can you name 5 funnier films in the last 5, 10 years? i sure cant, i loved it.

300 was fun, but mightve been blown up.. Jumbie once made the point about movies being made while other good flicks arent out so they get a lotta love. Its like how people are talking about Transformers when simple math shows it cant be better than Die Hard, even in principle. And yes, ill see Transformers sometime soon.

I cant think of any recent ones to put out here, no one seems to disagree with me on X3, spidey 3 etc. Ive been surprisnly not let down by recent films, its been a fun year for big budget or movies ill go see, anyway.

I cant think of any recent ones to put out here, no one seems to disagree with me on X3, spidey 3 etc. Ive been surprisnly not let down by recent films, its been a fun year for big budget or movies ill go see, anyway.

Oh dont get me started on X3. After X2 kicked so much ass i really expected better. Dark phoenix was incredibly underused and by the end I found myself wondering what exactly had all the pretty special effects really illustrated? Not a whole lot...

It was a really big disappointment... How they totally forgot and omited Nightcrawler was a Fiasco. Not one fucking line. "He went back to germany" nothing... And the fact that they made everyone believe The juggernaut was a mutant... SUCKING HARD in all the ways, that's what it was X3

It was a really big disappointment... How they totally forgot and omited Nightcrawler was a Fiasco. Not one fucking line. "He went back to germany" nothing... And the fact that they made everyone believe The juggernaut was a mutant... SUCKING HARD in all the ways, that's what it was X3

Okay but don't blame Ratner entirely for that one, the main reason we got no Nightcrawler is because Alan Cummings is a whiny little bitch.

Hot fuzz, Shaun of the dead, Team America; World Police, Severance, Clerks 2 (i could keep going)

wow, uh, maybe non-americans didnt get borat? that's a shame.

Hot Fuzz - saw a bad bootleg, mebbe i should see it again - good, but not as good as Shaun i thought.

Team America - eh, had its moments here & there.

didnt see the other 2, Clerks 2 was great indeed but i cant say i laughed at any of these like i did with Borat - did you guys see the Ali G show at all beforehand? Broat was the funniest of his 3 characters, its kinda funny cause many people here dint see Ali G i think but it killed over here. anyway, this is surprising to me.

Oh no all my mates think im mentally deficient for not liking Borat as much as them. So people loved it here too. Dont get me wrong it was by no means a terrible movie, it was very good but just not as good as everyone led me to believe. The naked wrestling part had me in convulsions. Now thats commitment to a role.

wow, uh, maybe non-americans didnt get borat? that's a shame.

as crimson pointed out that' so not true, it's without a doubt one of the funniest films i've ever seen.

Team America - eh, had its moments here & there.

i agree

Clerks 2 was great indeed

was it? it's funny i was gonna post clerks 2 in here as being overrated.