Hondo's Bar

Hondo's @ Playstation Network

I watch Blurays on it from time to time, but I own a standalone Bluray player with a remote control that doesn't shut itself off after awhile.

I was using it for Netflix when I first got the sub, but then I discovered the 360 version doesn't require a disc and has a better interface.

Same with the media hub. I used it for that until I got my new 360 with the wireless, and now that pretty much covers all the bases. I just use Tversity most of the time, even does internet feeds.

I dunno. I'm not selling the PS3 or anything silly like that, I'm just telling it like it is. The thing doesn't get much use around here, whereas my 360 is pretty much on all the time. Between Netflix/Hulu Plus and new movie rentals/digital purchases, it's completely replaced my cable TV (which reminds me, I really need to cancel that).

Sometimes I even play games on it.

Don't let this devolve into some lame console war though, they both have their advantages and I bought one for fuck sake. I just think it's a little funny that people are willing to spend money to get "free" stuff while denouncing the things you get with a gold membership as just M$ fucking you in the ass.

Personally, the cloud storage coming up in the next update almost makes it worth the price for me, as I've got a couple of 360's in the house and I don't like to detach my hardrive when I go to a friend's house.

okay, the rest of the mal/newt baiting ill leave for them, but i didn't once say PSN+ is free - it's dumb, but a big part of the reason i signed on was i wanted my @#$%ing locked Demons Souls save to not be stuck on a console that could very possibly die. i was happy there was a Yakuza 4 theme (GOTY) but Sega tossing up the Sonics, SOR2 etc was kinda cool too. i'm ready to let it run out if my 3 months + the extra one from the PSN downtime party extend past when the HD resident evils drop, because $10 for 4 makes me happy.

but even saying that: MS is fucking you in the ass. you're already paying for internet, netflix, and stuff like facebook, last FM, etc are free everywhere already (and better). i personally think it's shit because after MS making all this lazy money (paying for p2p, instead of dedicated servers? WTF), the only system next gen with free online besides glorious PC is gonna be nintendo and you're totally gonna get what you pay for there. but i don't wanna get too chafed on my high horse* here because really, its your dollar and you (logans) in particular clearly get a lot more out of it. I if played online more often with friends on Live, id likely see the value, too.

*i have bought digital avatars and DLC katamari levels day 1 and am part of the problem.

• 3 months later...

I just got a ps3 early Nov. I'm luvin it so far except some games i wish i never bought.

I bought a $12575047064.00 jawbone and i wanna put this crap to work. If you gus ever wanna get on and play im down just lemme know on PSN. even if i dont have the game ill go get it. Well... if i have time o course.

ps my PSN ID = MLFGC

Edited by IceManML

• 2 weeks later...

No. No I did not.

But honestly,

vNSry.gif

I play exclusives on it, that's what it does. Oh, and Dark Souls. Even though, in hindsight, I could have had more fun doing MP with my friends while in private chat on the 360.

hurpaderp derp "it goes against the spirit of the gaaaaaaame" derrrrrrrrrp.

• Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

i got mega man 3 (jp) during a prior sale, no idea why since i now have anniversary collection anyway.

iceaman: yeah, cloud's a big part, im mostly all over the "free" PS1 and other games, which are only yours as long as you stay a member (unless you buy at the discount, natch). there's a ton of stuff i know im not gonna play (spyro, etc) but the resident evil collection was cool, and getting Simpsons arcade last week for "free" was both nice and honestly, about as much as it's worth.

i only go in when i see a good discount though. sad i missed Target's error earlier this year for 1 year @ $15...

• 2 weeks later...

I man... If I saw it for a year for $15.... But yea I see all these free games I'll never play and I already bought mgs and res evil1 so I'm good.

As far as cloud goes, do you store trophy info on it? Otherwise why not just use an external drive for all gaming data etc?

I'm sittin on a 320 so I think I'll be good for a bit.

Your trophy data is tied to your tag, it would be constant no matter where you signed in.

It's more for different situations. Like, lets say you were visiting a friend and you wanted to load up one of your saved games on his PS3, you sign in and load from the cloud.

yup...also, for really dumb shit like locked saves that won't allow you to back them up to an external - for me, this is Demons' Souls. i forget if Dark continued that proud tradition or not, but yeah, cloud is literally the only way i can keep my 120+ hour plat file.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Amazon Prime members/Kindle owners still within the term of their free trial:

Amazon instant video available on PS3

The price is $79 per year right now, which comes out to $6.50 per month. It's a competitive rate. I browsed it a little bit when I got my Kindle, mainly just to check the Fire's video/sound quality, and it seemed to be pretty much the same stuff that's on Netflix. They say they have day after air TV shows, so I guess they're trying to edge into Hulu territory too.

I currently subscribe to both in lieu of cable, so I'm not about to add another service. I've got my eye on it though. I could see myself potentially dumping Hulu if Amazon proved to be snappier with delivering new TV shows that I give a shit about (case in point: it took Hulu almost 2 goddamn weeks to add the first episode of Season 16 of South Park).

• 2 months later...

So I recently bought me 3 months of PS + for about 18 bucks roughly. They have recently released a bunch of games that are free to plus users like inFamous 2, Virtua Fighter 5, and Little Big Planet 2 among others. figured it was a pretty good deal considering that there is roughly over 200 bucks of content there. Even if I don't keep my membership active that's a months worth of gamefly for more value and time with these games. I figured this is good info to pass along to those that use their Ps3's for exclusives as opposed to primarily being a 360 user (lookin at you Logan. inFamous 2 is calling.) Just thought is was a good enough deal to share.

Yeah, that's part of E3's "instant game collection" announcement. They're planning to ramp up the amount of free games the service provides this comin' year. Free Just Cause 2 is just the delicious beginning.

Frankly best value for money thing I've ever done in gaming. Giving away 7317150280_046f456569_z.jpg

for free just only serves to make me happier in my decision. And that's just this frackin' month.

Just Cause 2, Motherfuckers!

Edited by Maldron

I loved the logic behind Just Cause 2.

Falling too fast! Grapple hook the ground.

This looks like a good deal, man. I haven't played Space Marine, Ratchet & Clank or InFamous 2.

Which one is Zombie Apocalypse? I'm sure I've looked into it, as it has the word "zombie" in it, but I did not play it.