Hondo's Bar

Tropic Thunder

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dark Knight did a lot of the same stuff it was guilty of a lot of the same crimes and shoddy writing.

The villains go their separate ways for no particular reason but oh Harvey flipped the coin. So what? He's cheated before he would do it for the person who killed the person he loves most I think. Then we get a half-baked Two-Face plot that makes the movie too long and kills him off too soon when they easily could have done a variation of the ending of Long Halloween and not wasted all our time. I was half expecting Commissioner Gordon to get impaled on a goblin glider toward the end.

The villains go their separate ways for no particular reason but oh Harvey flipped the coin. So what? He's cheated before he would do it for the person who killed the person he loves most I think

When did he cheat? Harvey wasn't after vengeance, he was after justice. But in his scarred mind he felt that justice isn't something that could be determined by man, so in order to level the scales he gave each of his enemies the same chance that Rachel had - 50/50. He wants vengeance, yes, but there's still enough Harvey in there that he feels "justice" is more important. He says so himself ("It's not about what I want - it's about what's fair"). Cheating would destroy the whole point and would make his coin just a gimmick instead of the representation of his new warped outlook that it really is.

There really is a rationale behind it, though the movie certainly doesn't go out of the way to spell it out. Either way, I don't think it really compares to, say, two random super villains happening to meet in an alley and deciding to team up for no real reason whatsoever.

What bothered me most in that scene wasn't Harvey letting the Joker go, but rather the Joker offering himself up so easily. It seemed like he was having too much fun at the time to really have any interest in dying. Makes me wonder if there were really any bullets in that gun at all.

But perhaps all that's better suited to the Dark Knight thread.

Hey everyone, can we talk? We need to talk. This is one of the best fucking movies ever made and if you don't watch it you are an evil person who kicks puppies and encourages Sinbad to make movies.

REVIEW!

Hey man, I'm looking forward to this movie verymuch but I take great exception to your dissing of Sinbad. He was the Cherokee Kid, son. Show some muthafuckin' respect. He was also Prof LeCount in Moesha, and uhm, Jingle all the Way, and stuff.

Hey man, I'm looking forward to this movie verymuch but I take great exception to your dissing of Sinbad. He was the Cherokee Kid, son. Show some muthafuckin' respect. He was also Prof LeCount in Moesha, and uhm, Jingle all the Way, and stuff.

Good God I'd forgotten about The Cherokee Kid. That movie's actually a guilty pleasure of mine.

we're both waiting on Housesitter 2, i see.

so this was good, then? it looked fun, and then it was talked about for alla wrong reasons.

I saw it! It was real funny I haven't laughed that hard in a long fucking time. Jack Black wasn't as funny as the other guys. But he was still funny.... I want to see it again that's how funny it was. I noticed that Justin Theroux Co wrote it. He was in the last two David Lynch movies, I thought that was a little strange. I didn't know he write movies. Has he done anything else that's funny like that?

Hey everyone, can we talk? We need to talk. This is one of the best fucking movies ever made and if you don't watch it you are an evil person who kicks puppies and encourages Sinbad to make movies.REVIEW!
Sinbdad make movies that's funny

I noticed that Justin Theroux Co wrote it. He was in the last two David Lynch movies, I thought that was a little strange. I didn't know he write movies. Has he done anything else that's funny like that?

This was the first movie he's written (or co-written, since he collaborated with Stiller and Etan Cohen) but Downey was so impressed by it that he's signed on to write Iron Man 2 now.

I saw it! It was real funny I haven't laughed that hard in a long fucking time. Jack Black wasn't as funny as the other guys. But he was still funny.... I want to see it again that's how funny it was. I noticed that Justin Theroux Co wrote it. He was in the last two David Lynch movies, I thought that was a little strange. I didn't know he write movies. Has he done anything else that's funny like that?Sinbdad make movies that's funny

I saw it again last night and Jack Black's much funnier in the second viewing. A lot of Black's humorous parts are more subtle, just facial expressions and tics.

• 2 weeks later...

It was really funny but yeah the hype really did kill it. I was expecting something impossibly funny that would have me fighting for breath in between hysterical fits of laughter. That said though it did have some really fun moments and lines. "Cover me you limpdick fucka!" had me in stitches.

Tom Cruises role was so different to what he usually does. It was so strange seeing him fat and bald and cursing very loudly and often.

Archived