Hondo's Bar

Blargh - The Random Thread

The NZA

From the onion:

Man Who's 1/16th Irish Proud Of His Irish Heritage

May 22, 2002 | Issue 38•19

KENOSHA, WI—Despite being just 1/16th Irish, Dennis Kroeger, a 27-year-old marketing manager whose great-great grandmother hailed from County Cork, is fiercely proud of his Irish ancestry.

Kroeger proudly wears the green.

"Dennis sure loves playing up his Irishness," said Lisa Biederman, a friend and coworker of Kroeger's. "When he gets mad, it's his Irish temper. When he drinks, he's got a powerful Irish thirst. When he's being sappy, it's his Irish poet's soul. I'm like, 'Dennis, you're not even Catholic.'"

"Mary Gaughan, my mother's father's mother's mother, was from a tiny village called Ballydesmond," said the brown-eyed, brown-haired Kroeger, who is half German, one-quarter Swedish, one-eighth Dutch, one-sixteenth Belgian, and one-sixteenth Irish. "She married a sailor who was traveling from Rotterdam to America, and they settled in Milwaukee. Ever since, my family's been proud to be Irish."

Kroeger, who cites Man Of Aran as his favorite movie and Seumas MacManus' The Story Of The Irish Race as his favorite book, takes his Irish heritage seriously. He says he is saddened by the number of Irish-Americans who celebrate their culture only once a year, dismissing such less-than-reverent individuals as "green-beer Irish."

"Every St. Patrick's Day, it's the same thing," said Kroeger over a "correct" room-temperature Guinness at Noonan's, a Kenosha bar he praised as authentically Irish. "Everyone puts on green hats and spray-painted carnations and wears 'Kiss Me, I'm Irish' pins and gets drunk and makes fools of themselves. That's not what being Irish is about. That's an exaggerated, stereotyped version of our culture."

"How many of these people know the first thing about their history?" Kroeger asked. "How many of them know anything about the potato famine, much less the Downing Street Declaration?"

Jessica Kroeger, 23, is mystified by her older brother's identification with the Irish people.

"I have no idea where he got this whole Irish fixation from," Jessica said. "I mean, Dad's mostly German and Mom's some kind of European mongrel. He never gave a shit about it in high school, but at some point in college it just suddenly kicked in."

Padraig O'Riordan, a senior fellow at the Hibernian-American League in Boston, was bemused by Kroeger's eagerness to associate himself with the Emerald Isle.

"I suppose if being 1/16th Irish is the most interesting thing about the man, he has the right to flaunt it," O'Riordan said. "But he probably doesn't realize that what he's really telling the world is that he's desperate for an identity. I mean, I'm 100 percent Irish, but I don't run around telling every single person I meet."

"I just don't get what Dennis thinks is so thrilling about being part Irish," Jessica said. "I mean, sure, it's nice, but it doesn't exactly make you exotic. My boyfriend, now, he's 1/8th Cherokee."

This story is strangely familiar. I can't put my finger on it. Nick?

Edited by La Lindsay

dearest heinz 57 rooamte of mine:

Nopoodle.jpg

These are the following reasons why we shouldnt, and must not, get a dog.

1) Growing up with dogs is the best. paying for them on your own, with limited income, is not. I assure you, even past the shots & such, good, healthy food is not cheap, nor are checkups. Im serious, people get insurance to pay for this shit.

2) This dog will need proper training. I dont know about you, ive never trained a poodle. Ive ideas, and three quarters of them involve electroshock devices.

3) Grad school students who're considering working and then there's the summer internship and plans to ride sharks in the west indies or something and oh my god youve got like a dozen things on your board every day and there's only so many hours in a day wait is it time to walk the dog or play with it yet again christ you need a co-dependent creature like i need a felony case.

4) its a freakin' poodle. Your family already owns the only cool poodle ive ever met.

5) i love dogs, but were not on a roll here with animals. i'm sayin.

6) i dont even think our lease allows for it. I mean, that doesnt stop us from setting things on fire or doing as we please otherwise, but its worth mentioning.

I publicly beg you to reconsider. I know kertins might get drunk and get a tattoo or something but let's not all get crazy. The room's going so well. Do think it over, and holla back when im home again on tuesday.

Love, The Nick, whose incidentally half-irish by fuck

dearest heinz 57 rooamte of mine:

These are the following reasons why we shouldnt, and must not, get a dog.

1) Growing up with dogs is the best. paying for them on your own, with limited income, is not. I assure you, even past the shots & such, good, healthy food is not cheap, nor are checkups. Im serious, people get insurance to pay for this shit.

2) This dog will need proper training. I dont know about you, ive never trained a poodle. Ive ideas, and three quarters of them involve electroshock devices.

3) Grad school students who're considering working and then there's the summer internship and plans to ride sharks in the west indies or something and oh my god youve got like a dozen things on your board every day and there's only so many hours in a day wait is it time to walk the dog or play with it yet again christ you need a co-dependent creature like i need a felony case.

4) its a freakin' poodle. Your family already owns the only cool poodle ive ever met.

5) i love dogs, but were not on a roll here with animals. i'm sayin.

6) i dont even think our lease allows for it. I mean, that doesnt stop us from setting things on fire or doing as we please otherwise, but its worth mentioning.

I publicly beg you to reconsider. I know kertins might get drunk and get a tattoo or something but let's not all get crazy. The room's going so well. Do think it over, and holla back when im home again on tuesday.

Love, The Nick, whose incidentally half-irish by fuck

Dear Nicholas Custierrez,

poodle.bmp

1) Eli said he would pay for the cost of the puppy...also, i haven't bought anything substaintial with my financial aid money yet so that can go toward food, vet visits, and dog purses.

2) I've trained two poodles before. They learn quick and they're considered one of the most intelligent breeds.

3) i'm taking one class aside from my internship (which is 6 credits alone) because i don't want to overload myself and i found out that i can get the same amount of financial aid for the summer too so i won't have to get an extra job. i promise you or kertins will never have to take care of the dog. unless you want to because they're really fucking cute.

4) a lot of people buy poodles from pet stores so they're not necessarily bred for temperament so you get those yip-yip neurotic dogs. i'm looking for a breeder and i'm definitely going to go see the puppy before i decide to buy it.

5) one failed ferret because i'm allergic...if not, i would've kept him. i was even having second thoughts when kertins turned out to be our very own ferret whisperer.

6) i don't think they do now, but i don't think it's stopped a lot of our neighbors from having pets (and i'm talking aside from the grandfathered in ones).

so please reconsider my reconsideration.

Love, Lindsay Brown, who is probably as irish as you are

Edited by La Lindsay

haha....there is simply no arguing when your mind's made up.

I dont mind helpin out and all, not one bit (especially after april), just bear in mind, actual irish catholic upbrining instills guilt at the very core on certain issues. My mom, god bless her, will leave all non-gizmo animals out to fend for themselves, and i shit you not, ive had nightmares for years since leaving home that i left some animal back there that hasnt been fed/watered etc since. I felt like shit brining those cats back from texas and dropping them off at a shelter, doing so last week with archimedes only compounded that. its prolly mostly the timing that's throwing me off.

anyway, it looks like you thought it through. i'm on board, with slight reservations that'll prolly go away when eli, and possibly the 360 move in. i suppose we should draw up a poll soon for the naming, before kertins just demands Tom Servo and you go with Gob or something.

Sincerely, Nicholasian McPatrick O'Custer

McPatrick sounds rather Scotish to me.

That Irish article reminded me of a quote from the American version of The Office

I'm also part Native American Indian.

What part Native American?

Two-fifteenths.

That fraction doesn't make any sense.

Well you know its kind of hard for me to talk about... there's suffering.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

My mom, god bless her, will leave all non-gizmo animals out to fend for themselves, and i shit you not, ive had nightmares for years since leaving home that i left some animal back there that hasnt been fed/watered etc since. I felt like shit brining those cats back from texas and dropping them off at a shelter, doing so last week with archimedes only compounded that. its prolly mostly the timing that's throwing me off.

yeah, i kinda figured that's what was going on. i was hopeful for the ferret because eventhough i didn't know how to take care of him, i knew you had prior ferret experience so i thought you could give me information on how to train him and shit...then he started eating everyone so my plan went out the window somewhat. but i do have experience with poodles and how to take care of them and train them and stuff so i think it'll be ok. but i'm looking for a good breeder right now because the pet stores made me sad.

actually no.. my neighbors owned a poodle and they had given one of his offsprings to another neighbor. They then had them breed and I got my dog cause the little girl from where she lived threw a can of tomato sauce and hit Muñeca in the eye when she was a puppy. The owners were worried that the little girl might do something far worse. When I got Muñeca she had like a cloud over her eye, so we took care of her and then years later we breed her with another poodle and she had 4 puppies. One of which I kept Genie who is still alive. Getting older and sicker but she's still alive.

I think my mom knows a breeder. I'll find out for you.