Hondo's Bar

Brüno

Bruno_poster.jpg

Trailer's up here.

Of the 3 personas (Ali G, Borat & Bruno) id always favored the Borat segments, but some of Bruno's shit was hilarious - the difference in the kind of comedy was that Bruno could offend like Borat, but could also get some seemingly like-minded people to say the most ridiculous shit (my favorite was the fashion designer that said his line was more important than doctors).

I havent read any reviews of this one yet, but im willing to bet it'll be good. Anyone else watching this one?

quick segment from the Ali G show for those unfamiliar with the character:

Yeah, this will be epic. I'm kind of upset that the rumored title: Bruno: Delicious Journeys Through America for the Purpose of Making Heterosexual Males Visibly Uncomfortable in the Presence of a Gay Foreigner in a Mesh T-Shirt, turned out to me mistakenly reported as the real title.

It's a shame that the Ali G Indahouse movie didn't go for the documentary style that the show or the Borat movie went with, because now I think it's too late to go back and make a 2nd Ali G movie and fool as many people as he could have before.

Yeah, this will be epic. I'm kind of upset that the rumored title: Bruno: Delicious Journeys Through America for the Purpose of Making Heterosexual Males Visibly Uncomfortable in the Presence of a Gay Foreigner in a Mesh T-Shirt, turned out to me mistakenly reported as the real title.

Damn, that would have been fucking awesome!!

Ali G got a good run at 2 UK seasons & a couple in the states. Shit, I gotta find all that old stuff to rewatch...

Same here.

I have been looking forward to this movie for what feels like ages now..... I can't wait to see it!

• 1 month later...

As a Borat fan, I gotta say... I'd like the two hours I spent watching this last night back.

Parts were funny, a couple down right hillarious, but some of it was meh. It was a disappointment for me. The ending was great though. (Grr stupid Blackberry Spoiler tags don't work...)

Saw this last night and laughed my fucking ass off.

I thought it was fucking brilliant, in fact it was so good I started doubting these were real hidden camera events at all.

Which if is the case removes the humour for me, it's only funny if someone actually said/did this.

I've just tried to find out which parts were real and which were staged, some bits were obviously staged but that's needed for the narative's sake.

If i can get a 50% ratio i'll be more than happy to give bruno 4/5

As a Borat fan, I gotta say... I'd like the two hours I spent watching this last night back.

Parts were funny, a couple down right hillarious, but some of it was meh. It was a disappointment for me. The ending was great though. (Grr stupid Blackberry Spoiler tags don't work...)

I agree with Greyskull here. I thought it was pretty fucked up in terms of shock value, but in terms of humor, comparing it to Borat, it wasn't as funny in my opinion.

I still loved the shit out of this movie. It still has me wondering if people who didn't like it have seen The Ali G show...

For me, Bruno (and the other Cohen characters) are a bit like Tim & Eric stuff - either you get it, or you don't. Sad to say, but for for those of us who get it.... boy, awesome stuff! So great.

I still loved the shit out of this movie. It still has me wondering if people who didn't like it have seen The Ali G show...

i think that's whats dividing people here. a lotta kids saw borat and thought that's what theyd be getting here, not having seen Cohen do the characters prior, you're either going in expecting something else or not gonna get the joke.

still gotta see this.

Borat was overall better, but that's mostly because the humor in Borat mostly came from how accommodating everyone was. In the case of Bruno, he was literally the least over-the-top person in the movie which both helped and hurt it. I still maintain that saying it wasn't as good as Borat isn't really saying much. I'd watch it again and I intend on buying it, but only when I can get it on the cheap.

P.S. Short of going blackface for the next movie, I don't see how Cohen can possibly top himself.

Archived