Hondo's Bar

Forum's current/recent status

The NZA

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

Since the suggestion box topic is big enough already, i wanted something quick & easy for those coming back on.

Yeah, i basically fucked up here and left the account linked to a now-defunct credit card. I was supposed to link it to my bank, but waited a week since things were really tight over here recently, and then I got caught up with another department's process and it slipped my mind - my bad, again I fucked up here. It's all linked up now so as to not happen again, my apologies to those affected.

In response to recent inquiries: Hondo's fundraising has been temporarily suspended due to the T-Shirt project at this month's end and of course Hondos-Con next month, which is followed immediately by the holidays. In the interest of good taste, I resolved to suspend panhandling fundraising until 2010, but I appreciate the sentiment.

• 6 months later...

Okay, there's no tech support thread so I guess this place'll do. I've been having issues lately when I try to quote a post I can't do anything in the text box, clicking won't bring up a cursor and I can't type in it nor copy/paste from it. It doesn't always do it but I've noticed this on multiple computers, both times with firefox. I was going to make a tech support thread but I was thwarted by this same problem. It let me do a title and subtitle but I couldn't write in the body of the text.

i think i know what's going on, try this:

when replying to this post, look at the box in the upper-right hand corner with the arrows; if you hover, it should say "switch between rich and standard text editors" or the like. you might have it on "rich" which is good for just highlighting & copying like a dozen images and pasting them in in that format (as opposed to pasting in each URL, natch) but it often does shit like you're saying: cursor-hiding, etc.

lemme know if that works. god knows id update the F.A.Q. but it'd not be seen.

• 1 year later...

I've noticed that anything that comes from The Crap Shack is not displayed when you click on "View New Content" or "Today's Active Posts". I know some people don't care about that, but I do like to peruse the entire site and don't mind the silly posts either...

yeah, panch/others mentioned this to me after last year's revision, and im still trying to find the setting for that, but i'd totally forgotten about it, thanks for bringing it back up...i'll look again. im assuming it has to do with that forum actually being the default outhouse for when mods "delete" posts and such.

• 5 years later...

so my best guess is we got attacked earlier today, as a single IP made 25,000+ requests (for posterity, the next highest #'s are 1-3k, and after that into the triple digit #'s). i'm gonna take some precautions later tonight to try to stop this on my end, but there's only so much our older software can do, so the biggest thing will be running another backup (which ive been good about on a monthly basis since our last data loss).

so things should be okay now? i might restrict google/etc bots a bit to ease things, but it's not like we're swamped with traffic, hence my assumption this was some form of fuckery.

anyway: :kotter:

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

so here's where we're at: our 1 year deal with our current host runs out the 26th of this month. to be honest, they've been alright - most issues resolved fairly quickly, but they've made it known that they're not IPB (the makers of our software) so if anything in particular goes wrong, we're on our own. we're using what's considered legacy software now, meaning things can go wrong down the line (and we may be vulnerable to hacks, despite my efforts) and my only real defense here is trying to keep things somewhat locked down & maintain regular backups.

if ya'll weren't aware, the extent of my ability to fix things (when code goes wrong/etc) is look for the error given and replace files with backup ones. that's pretty much it.

so we've a few options here:

1) we can reup toward the month's end & keep chugging along (this is the easiest scenario, of course)

2) we can find a new server between now & then - this would take some research. when i found our current one, i looked at how much space we'd be getting (we really don't take up much without uploads turned on) and didn't realize we'd be capped on how many processor cycles our board uses. apparently, things like the chat & such are older/unoptomized so they take little hits.

which is to say, it could be tricky finding a reliable server that will just let us do our thing.

3) we could switch software: Shane (crimsonfire) left that demo up (which ive totally neglected) but at some point, it'd be worth looking into if our mainstays (chat box, members online today, sigs once per page if at all, etc) would work.

it'd be a lot of work & we very well could lose stuff in the transition (...) but maybe future upgrades wouldn't be so bad? killing subforums means fewer skins, but i'd still need to find good ones for our main boards.

4) we could upgrade IPB (current software) - this would be easier, but i gotta admit, i'm still not pleased that we all went in on a "lifetime" license that doesn't look to be honored anymore.

at a glance, they'd want $200 for said license, and $25 to renew past that. most IPB skins are now a few bucks, and i'd have to look into how hacks work. they don't seem to charge for chat now at least.

honestly not sure which way to go forward here, i know we can raise funds where needed but my goal, as ever, is to have the board as automated as possible.

we could buy time by going monthly with our current server (it's a bit more, i can get back here with the specifics) but at some point, we likely will have to do something to upgrade our software. doesn't have to be this year, though.

thoughts?

(scratches head) I, uh - trust whatever your judgement is. I have no idea what goes into running a board - to even have an inclination of a suggestion. Safe, secure - manageable...that's the best my brain can do.

Put me down for $25, too - for whatever decision you take moving forward. I'll send it over along w/ sum stuff I intended on sending over to Panch's.

had some time & did some research today

- if we wanted to upgrade hondos' IPB software, it looks like they will honor the license, but it'd be $50 a year for the software. which looks a little sleeker & brings some social media stuff (being able to like/dislike posts with emjois etc) but really not much changed beyond cosmetics. we'd be looking to pay anything from $15-20 for each forum skin too, on average.

- any smaller upgrade (read: not requiring a full overhaul) would be unofficial as they've fully discontinued anything below 4.x software (we're in the low 3's), and be only marginally safer, security-wise

- i need to reach out & tell crimsonfire i appreciate the demo, but i think we'll stay with IPB for now. i definitely want more tech support on hand before we even consider transferring out entire board & seeing what's lost in the process

- in the last year with site ground, we've had 3 warnings about usage/hits but only 1 downtime as a result, pretty much the same as last year (minus the actual attack we had then). i contacted stillbored & sent him the logs from June, the month we went over, to have him see if there's anything in there causing this - ie, too many search engine bots, a lower form of an attack, or just old/unoptimized code on our end

depending on what he says, i'm leaning towards leaving us where we're at now. nothing's ideal but we're stable & not losing data here, we don't get much unscheduled downtime & our speed/access feels better than past servers still, so if we can just figure out what went wrong a few months back & still have some small room to grow, i think we should be good for a bit longer.

we've been given until september 10th to put $162 together for the next year, and i've already renewed our domain name up through september of 2018 as well (it's also now on auto-renewal in case im not available next year). additionally, i'm gonna try a few steps later tonight/tomorrow to ramp up our security a bit here, just in case we get more attacks. more when i hear back from stilly!