Hondo's Bar

The Dark Knight Rises

Keth

From my experience an exchange between you an another person goes as such:

You: Outrageous Statement

Person: Question About Statement

You: Answer that only kind of explains statement

Person: Additional questions

You: Bristling statement (I would assume because you're starting to get frustrated)

What follows is never pretty.

• Downvote 2

Wow--that wasn't even me who neg'd you. Whatever. I still maintain that you are either not reading my actual responses, or you are not comprehending them and you're blaming me for your inability to do so. Additionally, you pre-judge me based on a number of assumptions you make about the left in general. Then with your opinion already formed and half-cocked you launch in to a snide response--that are barely coherent and lack any understanding about the issue at hand.

• Upvote 1

Wow--that wasn't even me who neg'd you. Whatever. I still maintain that you are either not reading my actual responses, or you are not comprehending them and you're blaming me for your inability to do so. Additionally, you pre-judge me based on a number of assumptions you make about the left in general. Then with your opinion already formed and half-cocked you launch in to a snide response--that are barely coherent and lack any understanding about the issue at hand.

I would agree if it was just me who ever had this problem. You do all those things as well. Like for example, you are currently mad, I was not when I wrote that. Nor am I now.

The problem here is that people who think that the corporate elite are the problem are painted as mindless idiots who follow someone like Bane withouth question, and the rich along with the police are the only ones who can save us all. When I say "I stand with Bane" its a joke about the way I feel about the perspective of the film.

This is what bugs me about this one. The movie can't just pretend that it has interesting ideas in it, it has to actually have them. I'm all for being an active audience member and engaging with a film/story, but you guys are doing some heavy lifting that Nolan and co. sure as fuck didn't help very much with. Believe me, when Bane was like "Occupy Wall Street, revolution rah rah raaarrrr" my ears perked up, and then the movie went "stupid,, stupid, boom bam! Good guy, bad guy!" and I was like "oh, ok. nevermind". I wish the film were half as interesting as what you folks are discussing.

Edited by JunkerSeed

Lol! I feel ya man. I know that the circles I run in have been analyzing this shit to death. Honestly, I know that the entire concept of Batman doesn't fall into my particular worldview, but it entertains me anyway. That being said:

The tone of the film was definitely to the right of center--but at the end of the day its just a movie. The scene where the "hero-cop army" rushes in to fight Bane was a little much for me, but again, I didn't expect much different from a Frank Miller story. That scene just kind of reminded me a little of Triumph of the Will.

...kind of

more accurately, it's a 99%'er fantasy of the 1%. if batman was real, he'd be bought & paid for by the MPAA and beating up people violating intellectual copyright while wearing a texaco symbol on his cape & a byline of whatever party paid top dollar.

Batman '89 sold more tickets than TDKR

Batman-01.jpg

Batman '89 Sold More Tickets Than The Dark Knight Rises

New study indicates a 12 million ticket gap between the two films.

by Max Nicholson AUGUST 22, 2012

It's no secret that ticket price inflation has drastically skewed the way we perceive box office success, especially with the 21st century's boom of 3D and IMAX releases. All the same, a recent study showed that Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises has actually sold fewer tickets than Tim Burton's Batman from 1989.

According to Movies.com (with the help of one Brian Collins), TDKR has thus far sold an estimated 50,635,700 tickets with an average price of $8.02 per ticket. Batman '89, meanwhile, sold 62,954,600 tickets with an average price of $3.97. Keep in mind that these numbers are not an exact science, but -- from this data -- it's clear to see that there's about a 12 million ticket gap. If Collins' research is correct, The Dark Knight Rises is on track to sell 10 million fewer tickets than its original predecessor.

Having said that, Burton's Batman still doesn't hold a candle to Marvel's The Avengers, which sold an estimated 76 million tickets. The Dark Knight, on other hand, came close at 74 million sales. In any case, this definitely puts an interesting spin on our preconceived notions of box office numbers.

Michael-Keaton-in-Batman--007.jpg

Nolan couldn't deliver that Burton magic

penguins-with-rockets.jpg

But those numbers don't factor in the foreign box office, which has grown to become a much bigger percentage of total ticket sales than it was in prior years, especially for blockbusters. Home media is also a bigger piece of the pie than it used to be.

Exactly.

Hey Nick, nice try though...

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid192.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fz91%2Fblazebyrne%2Fada70c31.mp4">

Edited by alive she cried

• 1 month later...