Hondo's Bar

Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I've enjoyed the season so far, but...

I'm surprised they brought Simmons back so quickly, I was sure they'd drag that for at least six or seven episodes. I'm sure, we'll see some fallout from it (ptsd for Simmons at the least) but the way the monolith was built up for so long and then *bang* Sky Daisy shakes it a bit until it breaks. Seemed a bit weak to me.

Still, solid enough start so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Damn...

First things first, Simmons flashback episode was the best episode this season and one of the best in the show overall. It had the feel of a great episode of The Twilight Zone or something. An excellent self contained story, with lots of raised questions. Who are all these people that have travelled to the planet before? Who is this monster "It"? Can't wait to go back there. The last episode was fine, good episode but really paled in comparison to episode five I felt. But ah, Garner is Lash? What the fuck is that? Feels a bit forced for a character to just swing evil out of nowhere. Strange decision, we'll see where it goes though.

• 3 weeks later...

This season has been pretty fantastic. I agree the Simmons standalone episode was a standout. Any fanboy Internet detectives figure out yet what that planet was? My theory...

It was another dimension and it's going to be a Dr. Strange tie-in. Ditto for this group Fitz was talking about in S3E7 that sent Simmons' bf "astronaut" there. Another longshot is the group is the MCU version of the Illuminati, but I still have even money on it being some sort of mystical organization.

About to watch S3E8, so maybe there are some answers there.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Episode 8 just cleared that all up.

Yup. I really should've watched it before I started typing up theories. biggrin.png However...

There still could be a Doc Strange tie-in down the line, and I guess technically Hydra is a "mystical" organization. I should've seen the Hydra connection coming with the Ward sub-plot. It was a great episode though; Fitz/Simmons scenes were especially good. I liked the tidbits of back story we're getting on Coulson through his relationship with Price. Speaking of which, I'm not sure I trust this ATCU director as being legit.

Looking forward to seeing where the show goes in the second half of the season.

Huge Y The Last Man comic spoilers

Woah!, they just Y The Last Man'd it. I did not expect Price to just go like that and Banks as well? I'm still somehow surprised when this show fails to take the obvious direction. It really is unique (for me) in how it builds towards an obvious resolution and just totally takes a 180° turn.*

*I'm obviously not saying this is the only unpredictable show out there, it just never fails in luring me into believing I'm watching a show from the 90's but then Bam! Right through the neck.

Fantastic episode! I agree with Panch and am also surprised this wasn't the Fall Finale. I can't wait to see what cliffhanger they leave us with next week. Maybe we'll finally see who this mystery Inhuman is on "portal planet."

And I also just realized that Asian Magneto is The Chairman from Iron Chef America.

So my guess is the mystery Inhuman on the "portal planet" is Bobby Flay. That dude seems douchey enough to be banished to an entire other solar system.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 5 months later...

Who else finished this season? I thought it was a pretty damn solid season overall. Not on par with the Netflix shows, but lightyears past previous seasons and Agent Carter.

ounym.gif

This season was a bit uneven for me. Not as uneven as Carter S2, for sure, but "lightyears beyond" it or S2 of SHIELD? Eh.

Don't get me wrong, the first half of the season was killer. Fantastic stuff...

Fitz & Simmons arc was great, alien planet, origins of Hydra, Andrew is Lash, Coulson revenge kills Ward--it is all great stuff. But the second (and longer) half of the season after the hiatus was mediocre. Hive's whole endgame was epic in scope but I felt like it was dealt with in a not so epic way. Coulson also was not impressing me as Director of SHIELD this season. The inter-agency, military, and ATCU mess is, um, a mess. It seems unnecessarily convoluted. SHIELD wa son the run from Talbot, then Talbot had to work with/under SHIELD, and in the last few episodes Coulson was back to "reporting" to Talbot. Blech.

That S3 Finale Tho...

This season kinda made me dislike Daisy, and the last few episodes only cemented that feeling. I found myself really hoping it was her who died. Lincoln dying was a non-event for me as his character was so bland. Ward was already technically dead, but showing the nuke explode as a brief flash on the monitor felt anticlimactic. Meh.

The flashforward is the most interesting thing about this finale. Any theories on who the new director is? I'm guessing there's no way they could afford Jackson's salary to bring back Fury, So Maria Hill? Also, that's definitely an LMD=Life Model Decoy the professor guy was working on there, but it was female.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
double thpoilerth!

I wrote and was in the middle of posting a whole thing and my phone re-fucking-started.

Summary: I agree with you, but this season kept my interest more than the two others before. And I had fun watching it. That's why it wins out.

Also, something about Panch and hyperbole, but my fingers are about to fall off typing all these millions of words. Ugh.

I loved the flashfoward. Sky Daisy pulling a reverse Felicity (why is it that all hackers are portrayed as goth?).

As far as who's the director, I like your Maria Hill thought. Could also be Tony. Although, highly unlikely because of money. Would be awesome, though. Fitz or Simmons is my wildcard pick.

Oh, and that's definitely an LMD. It said so on the computer screen. Haha! Couldn't tell if it was a female or male, though.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

• 2 months later...