Hondo's Bar

Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Episode one was fantastic. Picking up right where Avengers AND Iron Man 3 left off. Smart, funny, cool. With LOTS of references. The actors need some getting used to (except for Clark Gregg, of course), but I see myself getting excited every week for this.

Love how it looks like they're going to make this season about Extremis.

Boring, stupid, overly sentimental crap.

Will watch cos' of links to MCU and no other reason, even Coulson annoyed the fuck out of me in this. I've rarely seen a character with power act so fucking idiotically and irresponsibly. I'm actually afraid my eyes will be permanently off centre due to the extent of my eye rolling during this unadulterated mess.

In conclusion: It. Was. Shit.

I don't mean, the walking out of the shadows and Lola stuff, that was fine, and kinda funny. I'm talking about two things in particular:

1. His "I'm not taking that father from his child" bullshit, how stupid was that? Risking the lives of everyone in a three block radius, so that he could, maybe, possibly, save the life of one criminal? Daddy is getting taking down the second the shot opens up.

2. Hey hacker lady that has been hacking into our systems, stealing information, and generally acting illegally, welcome to our secret headquarters, here's our setup, have a free reign to look around and be informed of "level 7" classified info (The Avengers aren't level 7), oh and after giving us audio of a n arguement, welcome to level 7 of Shield officially (at least one level above Captain America).

I could go on about the cheesiness of the very wooden, two dimensional characters, about the forced tension, and the implausible level of beauty of every person in New York.Maybe I'm I'm being a little harsh here. But I was really looking forward to this after seeing The Avengers and Firefly also the only tv dramas I've been watching of recent, are stuff like Game Of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire and of course Breaking Bad and obviously it's nowhere near the same league of those shows.

Edited by alive she cried

I don't mean, the walking out of the shadows and Lola stuff, that was fine, and kinda funny. I'm referring about two things in particular:

1. His "I'm not taking that father from his child" bullshit, how stupid was that? Risking the lives of everyone in a three block radius, so that he could, maybe, possibly, save the life of one criminal? Daddy is getting taking down the second the shot opens up.

2. Hey hacker lady that has been hacking into our systems, stealing information, and generally acting illegally, welcome to our secret headquarters, here's our setup, have a free reign to look around and be informed of "level 7" classified info (The Avengers aren't level 7), oh and after giving us audio of a n arguement, welcome to level 7 of Shield officially (at least one level above Captain America).

I could go on about the cheesiness of the very wooden, two dimensional characters, about the forced tension, and the implausible level of beauty of every person in New York.Maybe I'm I'm being a little harsh here. But I was really looking forward to this after seeing The Avengers and Firefly also the only tv dramas I've been watching of recent, are stuff like Game Of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire and of course Breaking Bad and obviously it's nowhere near the same league of those shows.

Not even close, but I thought it was fun. I noticed the same things you did, but you can't get hung up on that stuff. It's ABC not AMC. I felt like Colston had everything under control and basically was assembling HIS "super" team to Fury's. Yes, the corn levels were high, but the layman won't watch without it. Overall, I think it's a nice fanboy fix in between episodes of The Walking Dead.

Edited by Panch

Watched this with Ryan last night. First thing everyone should recall: It's a pilot. It's gonna be a little sucky. There is not a single show ever that I have watched that had a good pilot. I mean that. I've never watched a pilot that bowled me over. This one was no exception. For all that, I think it's got potential once the writers hit their stride.But yeah, I am thinking that there won't be anything special about it. Instead of the 'homicide' or 'rape' a week thing that the police procedurals do, I think it's gonna be 'superhero' issue a week on Shield. Formulaic but still fun.

It certainly was an ABC show but there's enough Whedonisms and charming characters (I particularly liked Fitz and Simmons) that I'll bite. Not sure where they're headed with Charlie Gunn (that guy has gotten old, I didn't even recognize him at first.) but I get the impression he'll be back. Was kinda shitty of them to steal the ending of Back to the Future though. And hey, Ron Glass!

Asc, I think it's more your nihilistic shows that affected your thoughts. I do think it's hilarious how annoyed you are at eye roll inducing smaltzy sentimental bullshit given your love of Nolan's Batman movies

Edited by Iambaytor

I was very pleased by the show. Yes, it had its share of meh and eye roll worthy characters (l337h4xx0r girl, Fitz/Simmons, and the ending Baytor mentioned), but it tied in beautifully w/ the Marvel U films. I'm looking forward to seeing...

what really happened to Coulson, the Asian MILF Black Widow origins being revealed as well as how EXTREMIS and what happened in IM3 will tie-in to SHIELD TV land. I'm assuming this is all canon with the filmverse and if it lasts long enough will tie directly in to the next Avengers film.

Also, my favorite moment might have been the Bourne-style fight scene w/ Ward in Paris. Wheddon got in a quick camera shot of a guy's head being slammed in to an oven from inside the oven. So nice I watched it twice. Couslon's reveal to Ward was also damned good.

There is not a single show ever that I have watched that had a good pilot.

Wow. When you're wrong--you're really wrong.

Lost-season1.jpg

Nope, I'm not wrong. Cause I've never seen the pilot for Lost. I'm talking my own personal experiences. I've never seen a good pilot. Really. If the writing and acting were spot on, the usually the production value was crap. Though usually it's a little of both. I've seen ones that are ok, like SHIELD and some that were just awful like Caprica. They usually fall somewhere in between.

But yeah, point is, I learned a long time ago to watch the first season in its entirety before making a decision.

I'm gonna debunk that myth, the pilot for Lost was fucking electric back in the day but rewatching it makes it clear they had no clue what they were doing with any of the characters yet and were mostly trading on "what's going on?" which they also had no clue about. I'm still more fond of the show than most but the pilot is roughly as half-assed and cobbled together as the pilots for The X-files and Twin Peaks. Those first 20 minutes or so though, those were great.

First episode of a series is not the same thing as a pilot. Sometimes the pilot becomes the first episode, but many times we never see the pilot for a show.

Thank you. There is definitely a distinction. But, I still maintain that I've never seen a good pilot. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I've never encountered one. Now first episodes...they usually are no better or worse than anything else presented in the first season.

• 11 months later...

We were talking a bit about this around my apartment this week and it feel like now that SHIELD gets to really PLAY in the Marvel U, we can expect some fun. The best part is, now that people are watching (and the current release window for Marvel U movies) instead of waiting to see how they are going to cram the new movie release INTO SHIELD - we get a season that could potentially start dropping hints as to what we are about to see in the movies, making SHIELD feel much more influential overall to the Marvel U.