Hondo's Bar

Daredevil (Netflix)

Yeah, I've felt a Punisher show was inevitable after season 1 of Daredevil let alone season 2. For me the only question is whether it happens before or after The Defenders.

honestly? id be surprised if it took that long - we're getting Cage this year, presumably Alias s02 & danny next, so Defenders feels like 2018, no? I could easily see Punisher a bit before then...and they've shown they'll get to work quick when its successful, the critical reception this season - and particularly this dude's work - got, i feel like it's a safe bet.

i'm hopeful! i just dont wanna bank on it & not get it next year with the other stuff, you know? but still, all the love it's getting...man i hope so

so bets on the next arc? we gotta knock out Born Again before Guardian Devil, i figure...we could see some Elektra Lives here but i could use some time off from the ninja war

What are the chances of The Defenders season being Shadowland?

Ugh, please no. I don't have the patience for all that build-up to finding out "Lol, JK, he's just possessed by a demon or something." I just want The Defenders fighting ninjas, lets not go with the superhero turned evil angle.

• 2 months later...

I finally finished Daredevil Season 2 last week (I know. I know.) and even thought the finale was kinda meh, the season as a whole was fantastic—mostly because Daredevil S2 is technically Punisher S0.5. Spoilers for the whole season below.

The good. So much good...

Punisher. Punisher casting. Punisher fight scenes. Punisher origin. Punisher trial. Punisher logo origin. Punisher punching that photo frame and removing the CD that read "MICRO."

Elektra. Elektra casting. Elektra's costumes. Elektra's origin. Most of the Elektra fight scenes. Elektra and Stick. Elektra & Matt in college. Elektra stabbing that Chaste guy in the back with the stolen sai.

Fisk. Just when you thought he wasn't going to be in it this season he shows up and plays a pivotal role in setting up the climax/third act of the series. And he finally gets his moniker as the Kingpin. I would've liked his prison adversary to have been set up a little more in the series to give Fisk's victory over him greater gravitas, but that's a minor complaint. That scene where Matt goes in to the prison to confront Fisk was one of my favorite non-action scenes of the series.

Karen. Her relationship with Matt over the course of the season and her evolution into Ben Urich's successor were great and beautifully weaved into the season as a whole. It all felt very organic and not forced. Very, very well done. Even though I did not like her actual story she ended up writing in the final episode, and that bearded editor guy began to annoy me near the end of the season (more so how his character was handled than the actor or performance), Karen was a really strong part of this season. Great character. Now have Mysterio in S3 so he can give her AIDS in S4. That's how it went in the comics, right?

Foggy. Not as strong as Karen for me this season, but I thought he still had a pretty damned good arc. the whole bromance breakup scene for N&M was laid on a little thick though, but the arc of their partnership dissolving--Matt choosing being DD over being Foggy's partner in the firm they created, that was a good arc. I also really like that Foggy is working w/ Carrie Anne Moss at the Jessica Jones law firm and hope this leads to crossover aplenty in JJ S2 & DDS3.

Scott Glenn back as Stick was excellent. (I'm sad he never got to eat that apple he peeled though.) And I’m hoping that last scene with Elektra being resurrected by the Hand is somehow part of Stick’s plan because he knows & believes the Hand could resurrect her. So I’m giving him until next season to explain why the fuck he didn’t have her cremated to begin with.

Matt was on point and had great scenes under and out of the mask this season all up until Frank was arrested and Elektra showed up. Then character kinda went downhill for me. (More specifics on that later.)

Hand attack at "the pit" and on Stick’s base were both pretty great. Hospital attack was good too.

That fight scene where Matt rescues Frank from the biker gang RAID REDEMPTION style. It was so good Ross wanted to fuck his dad or something.

Night Nurse all like, "Fuck y'all and this raggedy ass hospital! I'm heading out to hook up with my boy Luke!"

The Bad. Thankfully, there’s not much of it.

Matt. To me your boy Matty is the least interesting and likeable main character in this season. Daredevil had some great fight scenes, but Matt didn't have a lot this season I could get behind, especially after Frank’s arrest. Matt was on then off then on with Elektra. On then off then on with Stick. On then off then on with Karen & Foggy.

And where I think the writers really set themselves up for a big fail was having that scene with Frank early on about the morality of killing and Matt taking such a strong, definitive, and inflexible stance on it. I loved the scene but it really puts Matt’s character in an annoying rutt in the last part of the season. Matt’s all, "Killing is bad. Only GOD DECIDES who lives and dies. Oh, but, um, thanks Elektra and Frank for killing all these ninjas I just punched who were about to get up again and kill me." My guess is the writers hoped having Matt come down so hard on this no killing stance with Frank then pitting Matt against a fucking army of killer ninjas would create some great inner conflict and turmoil for Matt, but I saw none of this on screen. I think they really copped out by not having Matt have to kill a Hand ninja earlier and deal with the fact that in war you kill people.

Speaking of which, the Hand were also a bit of a disappointment. I felt like for an army of undead killer ninjas they sure did fucking suck at killing people. The writers set these ninjas up as a threat then deflated their danger. For example, the Hand knew where Daredevil lived but only sent one kid to kill him at his apartment then NEVER sent another ninja to his apartment for the rest of the season. WTF?

Too many unanswered questions. We never learn exactly what the kidnapped kids were incubating, how they were mind controlled, what makes the Black Sky so deadly, and what the fuck up with that 40 story hole in the ground, yo! A lot of interesting questions were raised but the final fight lost most of its payoff because the audience was never really shown what was at stake by the Hand capturing Elektra.

The ugly.

Nobu. That face. The lame melodrama of FINALLY having Matty decide to kill someone (which he gets off with on a technicality because the guy was undead already and survived the fall to boot) just felt so flat and drawn out.

And Matt kept going on in the same lazy argument for like 3 or 4 episodes about not believing Stick’s story of the Hand cheating death and the Chaste’s centuries old war with the Hand. Meanwhile, there’s only one throw away line about how Matt’s whole belief system is based on a guy returning from the dead. I felt like the writers missed a key opportunity for Matt to have a good conversation with his priest about this and his struggle with not killing and being in love with a murderer and respecting a murderer in Frank. Disappointing writing and lack of character development.

tl;dr: Bottom line is I give this season an A-. As a whole, it tied with Jessica Jones S1 as the best season of superhero themed drama I’ve seen in the past year, which also includes, Agent Carter S1, Agents of SHIELD S3, DC Legends of Tomorrow S1 (which I’m only on episode 4, but I don’t see it surpassing DDS2), Flash S2, and Powers S1 (to be fair I never got past episode two of this series though).

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
corrected format weirdness

Speaking of which, the Hand were also a bit of a disappointment. I felt like for an army of undead killer ninjas they sure did fucking suck at killing people.

again, this season was faithful to the book almost to a fault

the joke for years has been how the Hand is really only good at taking out other ninjas, it's crazy

• 1 month later...

Marvel/Netflix confirmed at Comic-Con International: San Diego that a third season of "Daredevil" is on the way.

As the cast exited the stage after the premiere of the "Luke Cage" teaser trailer, Marvel exec Joe Quesada came back onto the stage to confirm that "Daredevil" will indeed get a third season on Netflix, though no release date was mentioned.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I'm still trying to find the strength to finish season 2 of Jessica Jones, (what a drop in quality that was from season 1) Luke Cage was soured by the latter half of its first season and Iron Fist was extremely average, so it's with trepidation I'm eyeing their respective second seasons, but Christ, it's good to feel excited about a Netflix show again (obviously goes without saying Punisher was amazing). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Bindusara said:

Dang, they finally got you to not want to watch?

He's like me and doesn't wanna watch the trailer because we know we're gonna watch the series and don't want to see too much ahead of time! This show could be hot garbage and he'd still watch it. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ermagerd! Where y'all at with this S3!?!? I'm seven episodes deep and it's on par with S2 so far.

S3E1-7 spoilers

D'Onofrio is absolutely crushing it as Kingpin. (It's kinda maddening knowing he'll likely never get a scene with Fury, Stark, or Spidey in an MCU film.) Master manipulator! Matt finally cought on at the end of E7. Looking forward to seeing how he digs himself outta this shithole.

Speaking of Matt, this may be the best DD's been in his own series thus far. I mean, that prison scene was basically the showrunners saying, "Oh shit, the most talked about scene from S2 of our show was with Punisher in a prison. Let's put Matt in there." Obvious as hell but still a damned fun scene to watch.

The Bullseye origin was done pretty great. The only problem with the first fight between Bullseye and DD was the same problem with most DD fights--too feckin' dark! Looking fwd to seeing the rematch.

Agent Nadeem needs to die in a terrible, terrible way.

• 2 weeks later...

‘Daredevil’ Season 3 Lost 57% Of Its Viewers From Season 2

According to a new report from Screen Rant, Daredevil Season 2 was the most watched of any of the Marvel Netflix shows since 2016, and Season 3 of Daredevil fell 57% from that season’s viewership numbers. Still, though, according to the report, Daredevil is still outperforming Iron Fist and Luke Cage by a good amount. It says those two shows lost over 2/3rd of its viewers season to season.