Hondo's Bar

Marvel Cinematic Universe (phase 3 & beyond)

Keth

Also this.

We’ve been lucky that [contract expirations] haven’t factored in too much. We’ve had people under contract for certain films, then we’ve had new ideas and new directions like Civil War like we wanted to do, and we’ve been lucky enough to make new contracts. Or Spider-Man: Homecoming, the cast has been awesome in their enthusiasm for the direction and the storylines that we’ve been telling. So it really does, right now, all start with where we wanna take the stories. Certainly as we get to Infinity War there is a sense of a climax if not a conclusion to, by the time we’re at untitled Avengers 4, the 22 movies that will have encompassed the first three phases of the MCU. And what happens after that will be very different. I don’t know if it’s Phase 4, it might be a new thing.

Edited by alive she cried

i like a lot of that, but part of me thinks ill be relieved when infinity war's all tied up & just like in the comics, there's fewer universe-wide huge existential threats. i know street level netflix is my lane of choice but i'm also down to see bigger characters in quieter/more closed off stories too. the shared universe thing has been amazing & i'm not gonna act like i don't love the nods/cameos but i'm wondering if 2 parts of infinity gauntlet/whatever just leave everyone feeling exhausted of it, you know?

I don't know how they're gonna top 'Infinity War'. Don't think you can.

The hype levels of that post-credit Thanos-smile at the end of the first Avengers...(squeeeeeeeel!!!)

Iconic Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy...and fucking Spider-man?! All together on-screen in a 2-part battle (is it still 2 parts?) for the Universe / 'Infinity Stones'? I still slap myself.

Whatever comes after - makes sense that'll probably be a different animal...not sum attempt to 'do it again...but bigger and louder'. Probably will indeed be a series of more closed off / 'street-level' stories...I can see Spidey leading that charge.

Kang the Conqueror? Also, if Fox can get their heads out of their asses we can finally get Dr. Doom and/or Galactus and/or Annihilius.

yeah, kirby & co left most of the great cosmic baddies in the FF corner. kills me, it's like we need that rogue's gallery back more than the family itself

let's say marvel had all the rights back: how would you do annihilation? we've introduced next to nobody, i feel it'd take a few flicks and part of me wants to say that's easier as a show but then the budget could get syfy real quick too

You make the Guardians the centerpiece (like the Avengers are now). Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, Nova flicks. Rocket & Groot flick for fun. You dail back the original Avengers. Stark. Cap. Widow. Hawkguy. Thor & Hulk cameos. Starlord or Captain Marvel cameos everywhere (new Tony Stark). All building up to Guardians of the Galaxy: Annihilation vols 1&2.

You'd do Annihilation the same way they've handled Thanos, build up the cosmic universe one movie at a time and introduce your various characters of significance like Blastaar, Quasar, Nova, and the like. Hell, half the work's already been done since unlike 90% of the people who picked up Annihilation back when it came out, moviegoers actually know who Gamora, Star Lord, Drax the Destroyer, and Thanos are.

But Annihlation Conquest would be easier since you-know-who has already been introduced and built up in his own movie so the big rug-pull reveal would have some weight and movies like Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Guardians of the Galxy, whatever form the Thor movies take, and potentially Nova could explore the Marvel cosmic universe more deeply setting up stakes for that event.

Mark Ruffalo wants you to get those dreams of a standalone Hulk movie out of your head — for good. In a red carpet interview with Variety that followed the D23 trailer debut of Avengers: Infinity War, the actor strongly rejected even the possibility of Bruce Banner getting his own film.

“I want to just make one thing perfectly clear today: A standalone Hulk movie will never happen,” Ruffalo said.

“Universal has the rights, and for some reason, they don’t know how to play well with Marvel. And they don’t want to make money.”

Yes, that’s Ruffalo taking a pretty clear shot at Universal Pictures there, too. He’s expressed frustration with the studio’s inability to strike a deal with Marvel for years, and his latest comments aren’t likely to improve the tenuous situation, to say the least. So we might have to take him at his word. At least we’ll always have Edward Norton?

i'd assumed as much, but i guess it's good having confirmation

But the characters can cross over - so, do we really need another solo flick? I was super-pumped that General Ross made it to Civil War.

I expect Red Skull to appear in 'Infinity War' - it'd be awesome if somehow 'Abomination' makes a return, too. Maybe set lose on Earth...he got a mention in one of those 'Marvel One-Shots' - I'd love Infinity War to bring everything together for 'one last hurrah'...even Jane Foster and Liv Tyler as Betty Ross...that'd be freakin' awesome! (I'd prefer Jennifer Connelly - but even more stuff from the Norton version crossing over would be epic)

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

You make the Guardians the centerpiece (like the Avengers are now). Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, Nova flicks. Rocket & Groot flick for fun. You dail back the original Avengers. Stark. Cap. Widow. Hawkguy. Thor & Hulk cameos. Starlord or Captain Marvel cameos everywhere (new Tony Stark). All building up to Guardians of the Galaxy: Annihilation vols 1&2.

James Gunn just came.

Seriously though, I'm not sure if Gunn would like that or not. I think he definitely has a trilogy in mind for Peter Quill, and as long as he gets to do that he'll be happy. I was talking the other day with my friend who owns a comic shop, and he's defiantly certain that MCU Phase IV will involve the Silver Surfer and Fantastic 4. Actually, he's of the mind that silver surfer will show up in one of the two upcoming Avengers Infinitiy War films, but I don't see how that's going to happen unless it's the second one. Maybe.

Feige worked magic with SONY and Spidey, maybe he can do the same with Fox & the F4 characters. But apparently not with Hulk and Universal though. I wonder if since the Mummy was such a colossal flop they'll try and work the Hulk into their new "monster verse"? Crazier shit has happened.

• 1 month later...

Stan Lee: Marvel Working To Get Rights Back to X-Men and Fantastic Four

“Sooner or later, they’re going to get the rights back to all our characters. They’re working on it, and they’re still making X-Men movies and stuff. Don’t worry about it. You’ll get more Marvel superheroes than you’ll have time to look at in the next few years.”

Stan Lee says that fans need not worry as “sooner or later,” the movie rights to all Marvel characters, including the X-Men and the Fantastic Four, will eventually return to Marvel Studios. The mutants and the foursome pioneering property from the famed comic book house are currently under the safe keeping of 20th Century Fox, which has been adapting those comic book series to film for years now. This makes for a great divide between the Fox Marvel Universe and Marvel Cinematic Universe where the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and even now Spider-Man operate.

nothing really specific here (kinda sounds like stan shooting the shit, which is still cool) but i do feel it's inevitable, eventually.

FF have to be the next ones to make the leap, which would really open up the villains cast.

The movies were all half-passed and decided to interpret Doom in new and "interesting" ways. Everybody wants to ground The Fantastic Four for some stupid reason. It's right there in the title; FANTASTIC Four, it needs to be massive and bombastic. We don't want or need a gritty and realistic take on these characters, go big or go home.

• Upvote 1

^ This guy gets it.

They need to remember that when the FF were first created they weren't even classed as superheroes, they were adventurers. We need fun, exciting, and light hearted (but not babyish) adventure . Basically, exactly what Marvel are currently doing with the cosmic universe.

Edited by alive she cried