Hondo's Bar

Preacher

The NZA

My, that wasn't insulting at all.

No, it's cool, I'm a spaghetti western fanboy so I can make fun of my ilk, it's like being able to tell racist jokes if you're black.

Seriously though, if you're looking at High Plains Drifter as your proof then you're about 36 years too late, he's a fragile old man now despite how good a game he can talk, his voice is weak and whispery, and the man hasn't been in a movie he didn't direct for almost 20 years now. So even if he was right for the role, I still maintain he was not but you can still keep running down that dream, the chances of ever getting him were none to begin with. Hell, I was thinking even Clancy Brown was getting too old but Pathfinder gave me proof that he can still play the kind of part required.

I'm just a fan of good casting over the wet dreams of Spaghetti western fanboys.

we're such a small crowd, and no one caters to us these days. :)

i havent seen a lot of what was on your brown list t here, will watching Lost eventually bring me around or is another piece more ideal for your sale? watch, this is how tulipO got into her diehard "Benecio Del Toro as Jesse" cult thing.

He doesn't really pop in till season 2 or 3 and even then he's pretty infrequent, stick to some of the others on the list. Pet Semetery 2 is a piece of shit, but I assure you his performance makes the whole thing worthwhile, the same goes for Pathfinder.

He doesn't really pop in till season 2 or 3 and even then he's pretty infrequent, stick to some of the others on the list. Pet Semetery 2 is a piece of shit, but I assure you his performance makes the whole thing worthwhile, the same goes for Pathfinder.

yeah that dude was pretty cool in pathfinder and that movie sucked big balls

Clancy Brown was the preacher in Carnivale right? Fuck yes then. He has the quiet intensity the Saint needs. A younger Clint could do the role, sure, but the man is old as fuck now, and I doubt he could credibly stand there in a duster defecating with quiet intensity let alone hold a gun.

A movie just won't work. Not unless there's a series of movies. If they do go ahead with this I don't think they should even call it "Preacher" and perhaps not even credit it as being based on the book. That way those in the know can watch it as something "inspired by" preacher and if it turns out to be terrible then we can wash our hands of it and shrug our shoulders and say "well it wasn't technically a preacher movie" and if its awesome then we can say "that there's a preacher movie and I liked it!"

A movie just won't work. Not unless there's a series of movies. If they do go ahead with this I don't think they should even call it "Preacher" and perhaps not even credit it as being based on the book. That way those in the know can watch it as something "inspired by" preacher and if it turns out to be terrible then we can wash our hands of it and shrug our shoulders and say "well it wasn't technically a preacher movie" and if its awesome then we can say "that there's a preacher movie and I liked it!"

Actually if you stick to the main story and ignore all the side plots (The serial killer in New York, Cassidy's annoying vampire cult, Tulip's friend whose name escapes me, Jesse's side-quest and sadly Meat Woman with it, and just about anything and everything involving Arseface)

That leaves the first 4 issues , the Grail, War in the Sun, some in-between shit, and The Alamo. It would be a long movie but still at or around 2 hours.

The whole business at Masada is a little climactic though. I couldnt imagine how that would work in the middle of a movie and not the end.

thats a good point but

Jesse vs Cassidy

was pretty climactic as well, not to mention a nice, bloody, extended

Saint of Killers vs Heaven takeover sequence

:FHD:

Clancy Brown was the preacher in Carnivale right? Fuck yes then. He has the quiet intensity the Saint needs. A younger Clint could do the role, sure, but the man is old as fuck now, and I doubt he could credibly stand there in a duster defecating with quiet intensity let alone hold a gun.

go watch Gran Tornino, you fucking heathen

I dunno. Masada followed by

Cassidys origin in the beginning of the next movie

. Havent thought this through so dont hold me to any of this but I dont see it working as just one movie.

hopefully, when/if the movie actually, officially, no matter what, happens it won't be just one movie. But Sam Mendes is a good director so hopefully the screenwriter that does this has some chops as well so everything falls well into place. but thats wishful thinking considering the controversial aspects of Preacher.

Oh come on, Preacher isn't half as controversial as its "outlaw" fans want to believe, with the exception of bad taste (the likes of which Peter Jackson and Eli Roth have gotten away with countless times), anti-religious points of view (Like half the shit on TV), and the fact that Preacher has slipped under the radar despite the fact that The Golden Compass was practically hanged for the same "Let's kill God" message and even then it was a rather dull roar for a CHILDREN'S book. Preacher wouldn't be so poorly received, the worst thing in it is Meat Woman and even THAT same as appeared in Grindhouse. As a TV show (even a cable TV show) it seems a bit tough, but as a movie it would work fine. The only thing I could see forcing it to NC-17 is the Gomorrah people, which to me always felt forced and has no business in the movie, the sex couple is another problem but another unnecessary thing as well.

Oh come on, Preacher isn't half as controversial as its "outlaw" fans want to believe, with the exception of bad taste (the likes of which Peter Jackson and Eli Roth have gotten away with countless times), anti-religious points of view (Like half the shit on TV), and the fact that Preacher has slipped under the radar despite the fact that The Golden Compass was practically hanged for the same "Let's kill God" message and even then it was a rather dull roar for a CHILDREN'S book. Preacher wouldn't be so poorly received, the worst thing in it is Meat Woman and even THAT same as appeared in Grindhouse. As a TV show (even a cable TV show) it seems a bit tough, but as a movie it would work fine. The only thing I could see forcing it to NC-17 is the Gomorrah people, which to me always felt forced and has no business in the movie, the sex couple is another problem but another unnecessary thing as well.

the golden compass kicked ass

yeah the whole sex party thing wouldnt work onscreen.

Edited by axel_napalm

Other than that though, I don't see why everybody thinks it's too hot for TV, I simply think its because Preacher fans fancy themselves (and their series) to be some sort of outlaw existing on the dark edge of pop culture, but shit it's fucking puritanical compared to a lot of Ennis' other work (Dicks, Crossed, Punisher, etc)

the masada retard-messiah thing might be edgy, but its the ending itself (specifically, what goes down in the sky) that'd get the protests out. id like to be wrong, but cmon ryan, people bitched about Dogam and that shit was practically reaffirming.

Crossed, however, has about as good a chance of a faithful translation as Berserk, which is to say never.

Once again, k

illing God isn't a new topic, the last book in the Golden Compass did it and for all the outrage people had over that movie it didn't hold a candle to the average outcry over, say, Harry Potter. Not to mention God was the last boss in Final Fantasy Legends 2 for GBA. It wouldn't be as outrageous as you think and even Rainman Christ wouldn't get that kind of backlash.

More of us can take a joke than you realize.

I wouldn't want to see a movie of Crossed... that would be a bit much

Edited by The NZA
dude, its the book's ending!

you're comparing books and games to a major motion picture or TV series (ideally) that'd pretty much get summed up as gratuitous violence and

not just any deity killing, but clearly judeo-christian god killing.

I'm not saying we (hopefully) havent come a bit since the last temptation of christ, but you honestly dont think people'll be up in arms once they hear of this? again, Dogma took shit. freakin' Dogma.

this isnt to say it woudlnt be potentially good advertising, but itd have to be backed by a studio who expected/could take this heat. i dunno, Artisan and others? point is, its not that easily negated. id love to be wrong here.

More of us can take a joke than you realize.

oh, dont you go lumping yourself into the movie-protesting crowd, now. we're talking about very different people here: i dont think the group(s) im referring to have any intention of watching said film either way.

Golden Compass was a thinly veiled version of the Judeo-Christian God, and once again, it was for children. And yes, Dogma took shit but its losses were less for protesting and more for the fact that it didn't really work for Kevin Smith's usual audience. Not to mention Dogma was 10 years ago and turned out to be more of a sleeper hit than anything. Not to mention, when has a Kevin Smith movie done well theatrically ever? Clerks? Clerks 2 maybe?

There are groups that protest any movie these days, I remember a blindness group was refusing to go see Blindness (I know, the irony struck me as well), not to mention the backlash over Simple Jack in Tropic Thunder, etc. Also, the contrevery kind of worked in favor of The Last Temptation of Christ.

I think you're overestimating the power of protesters and underestimating the power of the source material. Preacher is a very popular book around comic fans and non-fans alike and it has a solid fanbase despite its anti-religious tone. Many of these fans, such as myself, are religious and enjoy the book despite the fact that its all but calling us gullible morons. The people in poorly made t-shirts and holding signs have not managed to sway the opinion of anyone and to say that they'd even draw attention to it is an understatement, especially for a book that wears its outlaw stature with pride. And this isn't even counting the scores of people who will go to see it just to see how outrageously insulting it is. If anything the controversy will help this movie and the ending isn't so offensive that nobody will go see it. Pre-Watchmen I might have thought otherwise, but now I have to say there's no reason this couldn't work.

• 4 months later...