Hondo's Bar

Preacher

The NZA

(It occured to me that, while not many post here, i believe many of you do read things here. I'm not sure how many non-comic folks browse here, but just in case there are any, I think i should speak more of the books a lot of us talk about, and not just assume you've heard...this one's in my quote most times, has an entire site & group of people here, affected my choice of name change, etc...here's what you should know.

Preacher is about a man on a search for god.

Rev. Jesse Custer is losing his faith, amongst other things. The unholy union of a demon & an angel yeilded Genesis, a new being of seemingly ultimate power, but without a guide. Imprisoned in heaven (the book doesnt stick with this stuff very long), Genesis breaks free & bonds with Jesse, giving him the "word of god", the ability to make anyone obey his command. With the divine knowledge this power bestows, Jesse realizes something pivotal: god has left heaven and abandoned his people. Jesse takes it upon himself to search the world for his creator & hold him accountable for his own sins.

Accompanied by Cassidy, an Irish vampire drunk on blood & whiskey, and Tulip, the anything-but-the-damsel-in-distress chick, the three embark upon a quest across America unlike anything I'd seen before.

Not entirely unlike, mind you. Despite heavy religous overtones, at its heart, Preacher is a western: the cowboy, the girl, the rougish sidekick etc - but ive never seen a story break its character down so well. Imagine Tarentino influences - not just in the action & violence, of which there's plenty - but in the dialogue, which is one of the book's strenghts. As the series continues, one becomes more absorbed by the writer's strong characterization than the quest itself.

Preacher spanned 66 issues - 9 trade paperbacks, including backstories on minor characters - and has received numerous awards (Eisners & otherwise) for its excellent storytelling & pace...Garth Ennis is an excellent writer, who uses the slow spots to build characterization, and when the action gets going, the book literally takes you for a ride - ask anyone who's read the series how they felt reading "War in the Sun".

Steve Dillon's accompanying art has taken critique - Dillon draws many characters similar - but in the end the art was more fitting than any other artist could've managed; the synergy in this team is evident long before the final issue's spreads. As the series goes on, art seemingly becomes more minimal, as Dillon finds the ability to convict more emotion with less background, something I'd only seen previously in Dave Gibbon's legendary Watchmen.

I can't say enough good about this series. I'm happy ive had well over 10 friends share the book with me; as i return to miami, i invite anyone in the area who wishes to borrow my trades to do so. This one might yet be turned into a medoicre movie, and its far more important that people see this one for what it is - one of the greatest westerns of all time that just happens to be a comic.

dprpa.jpg

promo-preacher1.jpg

Ask and ye shall receive...quite a fine one, Saint vs the world...

dprwits.jpg

Still tryin to make heads or tails of that comment in last month's Wizard..."Ennis & Dillon looking to return to a solo vertigo series, perhaps picking up where Preacher left off..."

Im happy enough to see Ennis doing his own series again, but what to make of the cryptic last part? A sequel, sidestory, wha? I agree it couldntve ended better, but im prepared: if it goes the way of Dark Knight Strikes Again i wont let it taint the original seris.

Either way, I'm hyped. But, spoilers aside, feel free to add what you want about the series, i expect more Preacher's folks to back up this thread, hopefully get the attention of more people.

Just so you know, that group aside, people on this board who've read the series in its entirety: Yahven, Piggy, Jumbie, Dinghy, Junkerseed, TopDawg, Spiffytee, artistic, Mulan, the list goes on...far as i know, damn near everyone, despite their varying tastes, really enjoyed it. Can't say enough about this one.

Can't say enough about this one.

Damn Straight. Preacher is the greatest comic book series ever bar none and if anyone says any different they can suck the fat lad.

You can take your "Dark/Watch" cnb and shove it. Ennis and Dillon crafted the best of the best. The only comic that I'd put in the same class as it would be MAUS. There's alot of people who would never try out comic books, but plop Maus or Preacher in front of 'em and they'll read 'em 'til the end.

As I have said I'm not sure if I prefer Preacher or Transmetropolitan, but only time will tell, when both are done and dusted (Transmet still coming out in trade form that is).

IC, could you post a pic and a little tribute to my main man Herr Starr. Sometimes harsh, sometimes scared, alwys bitter and always bloody hilarious :approve:

Doom Cock!

Yeah, I'd put Maus I and II in front of Preacher, personally. Just because a true story like the one in Maus is far more powerful than anything anyone could come up with. I might even put DKR or Watchmen in front of it for redefining a genre. But Preacher will always been on top when it comes to a fun read (Maus is depressing, DKR is grim, and Watchmen is deep, but Preacher just floooooows),

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, So I just finished reading the entire Preacher Series.

WOW> Fucking awesome. Shit, this dude Ennis basically writes about GOd the same why some of may think: where were you when I needed you? WHy are all these atrocities happening around us?

My thoughts on some of the characters...

Rev. Jesse Custer - He's a real man, the kind women want to have. He's brave, he's honest, sexy, a real romantic... he sees everything through... A real cowboy- Hell, he made John Wayne proud.

Saint of Killers - One badass matha fakah. He'll hunt you down, probably make you piss your pants just by the mere glint in his eyes and he'll shot yo ass into hell. Or heaven, if you were good. (Like meeeee, :2T:)

Tulip - She's got more balls then most men. Love Loved her. She was as tough as the roaring seas, and yet emotional as the calming waves reaching the shores... She knew how to handle herself well and despite of being all trigger happy, she still kept that feminine touch about her which made her all the sexier.

Cassidy - Holy shite! This arsehole, you just can't help but fucking love him. Holy crap. He left me in TEARS DAMNIT, TEARS! One of my favorite quotes of his is when he's talking to Tulip about love between Jesse and herself: "When you're able to tell somone everything about anything and feel really good about it, You konw that's love."

That last skit in the end of him was amazing... this really is a redemption story...

You're all WANKERS, I tell you WANKERS!

Spaceman - His recollection on Jesse's dad about Nam and Gonny guy, very fucking touching piece. His war stories really did get to me... made me think how hard it must have been to be there, how tough you must be to sustain the type of shit that went down, and not just from the enemy, but from your own commanders.

John Custer - A real role model. This is what a good father should be like, Loving, and courageous, never giving up without a fight...

Fucking loved, LOVED the vilian, Herr Starr... One of my favorite skits was when he was running after Custer back in Mesada, He bumps into the Messiah (rather the retarded holy child). He basically knocks the kid down and yells "Outta my you fucking retard!" Fucking priceless... had me crying for a while.

You illeterate cum-sodden dickrag!

DOOM COCK

Arseface - Poor kid, he got fucked in the arse by his own father and that prick of a manager. I'm glad he found something great in the end... haha...

Skeeter - Truely, a man's best friend.

Overall, this story really touched my heart. Left me tears all the same. I'm definitely going to read more stories by this Ennis character. Like everyone else that's read this awesome story, I say you should pick this up, NOW. But beware pilgrim, for you might not put it down, not even for a second to masturbate. :pinch:

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Ok, so thanks to Cj and then Hondos telling me how awesome Preacher is and that I need to read it ASAP otherwise my stupid soul would burn in loser hell, I finally got it off of a friend and finished the first book yesterday.

OH. MY. GOD. amazing! brilliant! and you're all saying "duh MetalSTUPES. Of course!"

I wasn't doubting you! Just taking my sweet time to borrow it... :(

But yeah! gonna be reading books 2 and 3 at work today since I have to work on my day off and that's totes stupes.

The funny thing about the Preacher books is that once you start you really can't stop until you get to the end. I remember spending days at a time living and breathing Preacher the first two times I read it (first when I borrowed it from a friend - kept hassling him for the next book like he was a dealer - then a couple years later when I got the trades myself). It was literally all I thought about and every free chance I got, whether I was supposed to be working, sleeping, eating, whatever, I spent reading Preacher.

Just for you, Rach

preacheruserbar.gif

Edited by Silent Bob

The funny thing about the Preacher books is that once you start you really can't stop until you get to the end. I remember spending days at a time living and breathing Preacher the first two times I read it (first when I borrowed it from a friend - kept hassling him for the next book like he was a dealer - then a couple years later when I got the trades myself). It was literally all I thought about and every free chance I got, whether I was supposed to be working, sleeping, eating, whatever, I spent reading Preacher.

Just for you, Rach

preacheruserbar.gif

I'll probably need a similar one sometime after I get my hands on the series... :eh:

Just for you, Rach

preacheruserbar.gif

haha YES! All day at work whenever I cracked it open someone would walk in and I would have to put it up. argh! haha Damn work getting in the way (lol). But I'm off tomorrow, so in between doing laundry, I'll be reading this the entire time. Logan just dropped off two more for me so I'll be in heaven!

and thank you so much for the userbar! I'll be putting that in my sig right away!