Hondo's Bar

Preacher

The NZA

i think the 'weathered' look of SOK is what people are looking for. In the book he looks mean, tired, and older than time itself. Like a guy who has taken a few shots, and given more than his fair share back...none of these of which he is proud of. It's just a job. he does it, becuase he doesn't have anything else left. By the time he had his wife and child he had to be at least in his late 30's, which would in his late 50's by our time. they didn't exactly have the toothbrush and hygene thing down in the old west, people aged faster, and died younger. I think all of these things have to be kept in mind when visioning SOK as an actual 'person' standing before you or I.

he's dark, tall, and wethered. He probably killed his first guy around the age of 17... which is around the age most 'men' back then started to go off on their own...mostly to wars. His 'wife' was probably around the same age when she first met him. the one light in the dark tunnel of his life. After that... fade to black, then you think of what he turned himself into (or God did) as something else that affects his physical charecter. I mean...the guy has been to hell and back. Despite his tough exterior he was still a human form being beaten to death on a daily basis by the devil himself.

I honestly think he should look old, but command a certian amount of respect by his mere presence. I think that's why i though of kris as a good choice. Despite his age, he'd still pull it off, he as a person has energy, and as an actor he's portrayed the good, bad and ugly that defines "the west" as we have imagined it on the telly and books. There's more than meets the eye with the SOK a sharp eye, a ragged body and a fast hand that never fails him. All of these things kept him alive, but it's the same thing that caused his own downward spiral in the end, and made him such an iconic western charecter in Preacher.

His 'wife' was probably around the same age when she first met him.

i doubt that. two reasons

1. he looks in his mid 50's

2. ennis said that the movie unforgiven was the inspiration for sok's back story.

and in that eastwood is an old cowboy, which is another reason why i always imagined eastwood as the saint.

• 6 months later...

We have yet another Preacher convert right here. Read the first book in Skeets during the Week of Awesomeness a few weeks ago and boy oh boy did it put the hook in me. Trawled Sydney like a slavering idiot looking for the first two volumes (everywhere only had 3 and up, the fates like to mock me) to have and to hold and after a relentless search found Vol 2 today in some rundown shithole of comic book store.

To answer a question I myself asked a while ago: NOW I know what all the fuss was about. Preacher is awesome and Im saying that with a few pages of Vol 2 still to go. And whats this? AN IRISH VAMPIRE thats not a complete fiddly dee stereotype is what it fucking is!

The books are too easy to read. You almost wish they could last longer. I had to force myself to put it down an hour ago just so Id have some more preacher to read later on!

The story is one of the most original I have ever encountered. As someone said already its a great story that just happens to be a comic book.

Now I have to go breath into a brown paper bag...

Welcome. you're among friends here. Seriously, when it comes to people who've never read a comic and either ask for one or I push onto them, it's without fail Preacher.

Shit, except for Dr Steve who I gave Astonishing Xmen to, left cliffnotes all through that motherfukcer too and he never read it. Welp, shoulda given him Preacher.

The books are too easy to read. You almost wish they could last longer. I had to force myself to put it down an hour ago just so Id have some more preacher to read later on!

yeah, they do that to you.

"one of us, one of us"

Wow thanks dude. I appreciate the offer but i just cant read things like books or comics on a screen. Fucks with my eyes and just doesnt seem....right.

you should really reconsider, man.

if the story's good enough (which of course preacher is) you forget you're reading on a screen.