Hondo's Bar

Preacher

The NZA

how far'd you read into sandman, again? and transmet, i loved but i sold the trades so that's that.

ennis' hellblazer's all in trade finally, send you the scans if you want, sometime. Again, Ennis' Max is top notch, but Kitchen Irish, really? i personally thought that was like the weakest one. Man of Iron, Mother Russia etc just felt like a different level.

i just read the first trade in sandman and the first twelve or so issues of transmet, i went back to reread transmet to give it one last chance but i remembered that i'd deleted it

maybe the whole irish element swayed me, but really i loved everything of his punisher run

and

that's cause preacher was more a john wayne story and hitman more eastwood. it had to be told that way, man! baytor's the only one i think here that could fully appreciate the john ford-esque ending and still dislike it.

i know, i know i'm just not a john wayne man, preacher is definately the best thing he was ever in :ohface:

Finished! The reign of the spoiler tags is at an end.

Vol 8 was a bit of chore in parts but still readable. Arseface is quite possibly the most redundant character in the series. I was expecting him to actually play a part in something to do with the main plot, anything at all would have done!

Alamo fucking ruled (heh Jay, i finished it before i even landed in Sydney) although im afraid i still havent made my mind up about the ending. It was good but there was something...missing.

All in all though WOW!!! I have never encountered a story like it and I dont think I ever will in the future. Im just kinda sad its finished now.

so where do you go from here?

do you become a full blown comic nerd?

or be like a friend of mine, who reads and loves every moore, ennis and miller i throw his way but still claims to not read comics

and

that's cause preacher was more a john wayne story and hitman more eastwood. it had to be told that way, man! baytor's the only one i think here that could fully appreciate the john ford-esque ending and still dislike it.

I just pretend the series ended with Alamo and all that flowery bullshit with Jesse on the horse and "I think I remember how to cry" didn't happen. So everybody dies and I'm happy. :ohface:

I'd also like to point out that it's just the Jesse/Tulip part of the ending I don't like. Cassidy and the Saint were class.

Edited by Irish Ninja

... you all realise down the track more people are gonna come who haven't read Preacher?And as much as they'd like to discuss their thusfar findings they're going to step through a minefield of spoilers. When I'm sober/not at work/awake I'ma go through and tag that shit. You people are horrible.

Also, I'll state on my limited readings Preacher>Knights Punisher(welcome Back frank and maybe the first 20 or so issues of the ongoing)>Hitman>Hellblazer(I'm channeling 2001 here, hard to recall)>Everything else I haven't or have read.

Ok, I skipped a lot of posts becaue I was afraid of anything even remotely spoiling anything at all. I was wondering if the whole series was posted somewhere on the internets. Can someone post a link?otherwise I'mma have to come borrow it from ya nick.Ok, I skipped a lot of posts becaue I was afraid of anything even remotely spoiling anything at all. I was wondering if the whole series was posted somewhere on the internets. Can someone post a link?otherwise I'mma have to come borrow it from ya nick.

... you all realise down the track more people are gonna come who haven't read Preacher?And as much as they'd like to discuss their thusfar findings they're going to step through a minefield of spoilers. When I'm sober/not at work/awake I'ma go through and tag that shit. You people are horrible.

Heh yeah how could i be so selfish? But i read alamo again and im pretty satisfied with the ending. Not blown away but it tied everything up nicely and was touching in a wierd kinda way.

I just pretend the series ended with Alamo and all that flowery bullshit with Jesse on the horse and "I think I remember how to cry" didn't happen. So everybody dies and I'm happy. :love:

I'd also like to point out that it's just the Jesse/Tulip part of the ending I don't like. Cassidy and the Saint were class.

yeah my main problem with the ending is the jesse tulip bit and the fact that jesse never get's to confront god

Edited by alive she cried

yeah my main problem with the ending is the jesse tulip bit and the fact that jesse never get's to confront god

Aha! Thats the something that was missing! Thank you. I just couldnt put my finger on it.

I was waiting for Jesse to give God a good wuppin' and it never came

I--- What?! di you both miss #50?!

It was the single closest you were gonna get to a confrontation. Jesse whaling on God is as gratuidous as Baytor's signature. There was nothing left unsaid between the two, damnit.

you dont count!

a repeat of issue #50 wouldve been weak and made no sense. The saint going up there, handling the seraphim and taking his revenge was the point of that character, and his entire mini about him being used.

i can see argument about the jesse/tulip thing if you dont appreciate the sentiment - again, its a western ending to a western tale, though baytor's right that # 59's ending was something in itself - but the JESSE VS GAWD bit, over the Saint? meh.

also, Skeet: please do; if you see more ending talk/spoilers by all means, mark 'em.

you dont count!

a repeat of issue #50 wouldve been weak and made no sense. The saint going up there, handling the seraphim and taking his revenge was the point of that character, and his entire mini about him being used.

i can see argument about the jesse/tulip thing if you dont appreciate the sentiment - again, its a western ending to a western tale, though baytor's right that # 59's ending was something in itself - but the JESSE VS GAWD bit, over the Saint? meh.

also, Skeet: please do; if you see more ending talk/spoilers by all means, mark 'em.

Well jesus he could've at least used the word once as revenge for his eye or some shit. I mean come on.

...and he did!

Jesse's not stupid. he knew he coudlnt find god if he dindt want to be found. he prolly couldnt handle the entire seraphim alone, much as some of youse wanted some die hard attempt to do so.

did no one else hear his plan with the Saint? this was the only way he could garuntee a) god'd come out of hiding, and b) when he made a break for the throne/seat of power, somoene'd be there to stop him.

honestly, if that's our beef crim/others, i dont know what kinda ending you'dve wanted. jesse's confrontation was in issue # 50. you know what happens when you "push the envelope" past where the plot/characters should? you get The Dark Knight Strikes Again, that's what.

crazy kids.

You're all retarded. It reflects his age. Lookit the lines all around. Surely you can't live forever and pay no price?

In regards to the ending, I completely cosign Nick's post. If DKSA taught me anything, it's that some doors just shouldn't be opened. And realistically,

God taking one in the head at the hands of the Saint was a lot more satisfying than seeing Jesse wail on yet another morally compromising being who may or may not be of immense power. We got that with Cassidy and it would've just been repetitive if he did it again with God. The Saint being an unfuckable man was fucked with and got his revenge. There's nothing sweeter than that.