ASK JESS ANYTHING

Jesi

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you watching Firefly with DJ?

Do you like it?

What is the best type of jerky?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I am watching Firefly, and with every episode that we watch, I fall a little more in love with the show in general, and I get a little more upset that at the end of this box of DVDs there wont' be anymore, save for the movie. I think the show's great. I love the characters and their...unique... personalities. The show seems like it was meant for some heavier language, as if it could have really worked well on Showtime or HBO. The off-color chinese is pretty funny though, because you know what they're saying, but it's coming out in chinese. The adventures they get into are pretty easy to get hooked on, though, and frankly, Joss Whedon is a lunatic but he's a genius all the same.

As far as jerky goes, I like traditional flavored beef jerky, though I'm quite fond of teryaki flavor as well, just to toss things up a bit.

And thank you, Jax, for trying to breathe life back into my beloved thread :)

CAN YOU BELIEVE THE ENDING OF HP6?!?!?!?!

OMFG!!!!!!

I want to read another book but I don't know what to get into...can you make any suggestions?

Actually, I can. There were a few things that I knew would be coming, just not sure how it was gonna happen. There were a few aspects that kinda rubbed me the wrong way but over all I thought it was another great book and while part of me is willing the days to pass until the next one is released, the other part of me just doesn't want to know.

I get into a wide variety of books - If you tell me what you're into I might be able to make some suggestions. I haven't been able to read as much lately because of work and such, but I'm always willing to search my library for a good recommendation.

I'd write more but right now there's lightning striking about 1/4 mile away so I'm gonna shut down for a while.

I didn't mean what happened to Dumbledore...the break up..they were soooo happy.. ::sniff::

ah - heh. That... well, I dunno. There was a lot of potential for them to be an item, sure, but in all honesty I glossed over the teenage-emo buildup between everybody - the awkward conversations, the inner monologues, Harry teeming with hatred for anybody romantically linked to Ginny, the stupid arguments between everybody (except when Ginny comes back with "Been kissing Pigwidgeon, then, have you? - that made me laugh), so for Harry to call it quits was more of an eye-roller to me. As if to say "Of COURSE you're going to break it off with her, you chauvinist prat, Mister Sorry-I-gotta-save-the-world-so-I-cant-be-laden-with-petty-puppy-love-right-now-but-REALLY-it's-for-your-own-good." I read it for the darker side of the story, truth be told. Snape and all his misgivings, Draco taking the Dark Mark, learning more of the back story behind Voldemort, and the events leading up to and including the fall of Dumbledore. I ate that stuff up. The fluff in the middle... Eh. Wasn't my cup of tea.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont you think it was obvious that D asked Snape to do it?

Do you know when the 7th book is supposed to come out?

Do you think she'll write more than 7?

I was the same with paying more attention to the meat of the book rather than the potatoes.

SB said you got a new car, what type? do you love it?

How have you been? I havent talked to you in a while.

What is Firefly, I have never heard of it?

Have you ever seen The Man With Two Brains? its hilarious and Steve Martin is a genius.

Do you want to see his new movie coming out? Shopgirl?

Dont you think it was obvious that D asked Snape to do it?

Do you know when the 7th book is supposed to come out?

Do you think she'll write more than 7?

I was the same with paying more attention to the meat of the book rather than the potatoes.

SB said you got a new car, what type? do you love it?

How have you been? I havent talked to you in a while.

What is Firefly, I have never heard of it?

Have you ever seen The Man With Two Brains? its hilarious and Steve Martin is a genius.

Do you want to see his new movie coming out? Shopgirl?

1 - I don't know what to make of the Snape/Dumbledore thing, truth be told. I'm disheartened by Severus' sudden-but-inevitable betrayal. I really like him as a character and it was interesting to try to read into him and figure him out by myself. In a way I liked this book in that it revealed a lot, but it took a long time to find out who the "half-blood prince" was, and the end was a bit... I don't know, rushed. I think in the grand scheme of things if Albus knew he was going to die at the hands of a death eater, he'd have preferred Severus to perform the Avada Kedavra on him, if nothing else to prevent his death from being paraded like a trophy on the shoulders of young Malfoy. It's no secret that the family Malfoy wanted Albus out of his position for good, and went to many lengths through the years to make it happen. For Draco to take Albus out, it would have been a trophy kill, it would have put him in good with the Dark Lord, and it would have made him an instant celebrity. Severus, on the other hand, murdered the one person who probably ever cared for him, and he'll recieve absolutely zero recognition for his actions. I sincerely don't see him living long in the next book. Draco either. It was Draco's job to kill the Headmaster, and Severus not only stole his thunder but put him in more danger than if he'd have let the snot-nosed little bastard do what he was told to do. I think Voldemort, as he comes into full power, is going to quickly and efficiently do away with both of them and move on without a second glance.

2 - Do I know when the 7th book comes out? No, though she's speculated to release it at the end of next year. Whether that'll happen is anybody's guess. But to answer 2 and 3 together, no, I sincerely don't think she'll do more than 7 books. Which sucks, but why would she need to, other than to continue the story? She's got more money than God, a husband and two kids, and has more than left her mark on the world. No, sadly, I think 7 is going to be her number and then she'll quit.

4 - I got a 2002 Ford Explorer. My former vehicle, a 1999 Chevy S-10, finally died on me on Thursday, and rather than dump a few grand into it to get it barely working again, DJ helped me buy a new car, that comes with free maintenance for three years. I

5 - I've been good, if not incredibly busy. All last month I was pet sitting left and right and making serious money. I built a website for our friend Ryan (www.eightballart.com) and got commissioned to do a website for the clinic I work for. And I got totally unbelievably hooked on Firefly. I never was one to post a lot on Hondos, I'm a bit of a lurker as any who know me will attest. Most of my post count is from this thread! However I'm online all the time so chat me up! How YOU doin?

6 - What is Firefly? Wow. I don't think I could describe it to you without telling you the ENTIRE STORY, though I can tell you that it is a science fiction show in that it takes place in deep space in the future and has space-faring vessels. But on the other hand it's also a western in that they look, act, and speak like folks that might have lived in the Old West (circa "DeadWood"). Info on the show can be found at the FireFly Wikipedia, or at IMDb. There is also a movie based on this ill-fated but fabulous show, titled Serenity - the trailer for which can be found at the Apple Movie Trailer site. Or for 30 bucks at Walmart you too can be converted! Go, go buy it right now!

7/8 - I haven't seen Man with Two Brains though I totally agree that Steve Martin is a comedic genius. I think I might go see Shopgirl whenever I can, though right now I'm all about the Serenity movie, so everything else is on the back burner.

...aaaaaaand I'm spent ;)

Do come back and see me sometime, it's been getting a mite lonely in this corner of the bar.

• 2 weeks later...

If you had to pick one word to describe yourself, what would it be and why the hell are you limiting yourself to one word?

If you were to sit down and write a book, what would it be about?

Whatcha wanna be when you grow up? :ifyouknowwhatimean:

How many roads must a man walk down before you can call him a man?

Isn't he the cutest thing you've ever seen?

Dante2.jpg

If you had to pick one word to describe yourself, what would it be and why the hell are you limiting yourself to one word?

--- I would say... Charming. And I'm limiting myself to one word because you ASKED ME to :-P

If you were to sit down and write a book, what would it be about?

--- I think if I had the time to sit down and write a book, I'd write a drama about ... something. I dont know what yet, but I know how to write drama. If I needed a quick buck I could write some sleazy romance novella, because I know how to write that too.

Whatcha wanna be when you grow up? :ifyouknowwhatimean:

--- A Toys R' Us Kid! But really. I'd love to go into business for myself someday. I was never meant to have a boss.

How many roads must a man walk down before you can call him a man?

--- Seven. Take a left at the light, go down to the second stop sign and make a right. Go six lights and make a left. Find the big tall glass building just past the overpass and take the right fork in the road. From there you'll go exactly four-point-six kilometers and turn left just before the round-about. Turn at the first stop sign, then turn again at the second street. It's the blue house.

Isn't he the cutest thing you've ever seen?

Dante2.jpg

Yep. I know how to pick 'em ;)

since youre the brains behind the op: how's drawing the line comin along?  also, why are you so awesome?

Frankly, it's not. Sadly every time we revisit the idea, it gets put on the back burner. I don't know if it'll ever come back. And I don't know why I'm so awesome. You'll have to tell me. :ifyouknowwhatimean:

Hi Jess... I was just wondering which one of the Golden Girls was your favorite?

golden_girls.jpg

I never got into the Golden Girls but the character that always stood out was Sophia ("Ma"). Just this nutty little old woman who didn't take shit off of anyone and did exactly as she pleased. Cracked me up.

Okay here's a doozy of a question for you.

Say you are a guy who's really good friends with a girl. As of now, everything is strictly platonic because the girl is happily married (or so she claims). Now here's where it gets confusing. The girl calls her friend the guy every single day, sometimes several times a day, and tries to stay on the phone as long as possible. She tells the guy over and over she really likes talking to him and appreciates him being around to keep her company since her husband is usually not around as much as she'd like. Also you notice there's a lot of bumps going on throughout this "happy" marriage. Another twist, the guy really likes the girl and would like nothing better than to get into her life, but doesn't say anything wanting to respect her being married and all. But at the same time, he is starting to get what he interprets as signals that she might actually like him the same, but he is not quite sure.

Your opinions Jess?

wasn't she actually younger than the woman playing her daughter or did someone lie to me?

Yep. You're absolutely right. Estelle Getty (Sophia) is almost 3 months younger than Bea Arthur (Dorothy), yet Getty played the "mom" with a little creative make-up and a wig.

Okay here's a doozy of a question for you.

Say you are a guy who's really good friends with a girl.  As of now, everything is strictly platonic because the girl is happily married (or so she claims).  Now here's where it gets confusing.  The girl calls her friend the guy every single day, sometimes several times a day, and tries to stay on the phone as long as possible.  She tells the guy over and over she really likes talking to him and appreciates him being around to keep her company since her husband is usually not around as much as she'd like.  Also you notice there's a lot of bumps going on throughout this "happy" marriage.  Another twist, the guy really likes the girl and would like nothing better than to get into her life, but doesn't say anything wanting to respect her being married and all.  But at the same time, he is starting to get what he interprets as signals that she might actually like him the same, but he is not quite sure. 

Your opinions Jess?

Whew! That IS a doozy.

My first question is this: Does this marriage involve children? If the answer is yes, my suggestion would be to offer words of platonic support and suggest some sort of intervention (counseling, etc) to try to fix the problems with the marriage and move on.

If the answer is no, I'd still try to help the woman fix her marriage, at least try to talk to her about what's going on that makes her unhappy. Marriage isn't a perfect union, there are bumps in the road even after you take the plunge. This is because we're human and we screw stuff up. Forgiveness is a big part of making any relationship work. The thing that makes marriages go wrong is people's unwillingness to recognize and repair their own problems and instead push their insistence that it's the other party's fault that things are going awry. It's sad that the divorce rate is so high in the States, but the reason behind it is simple: We're lazy and like to blame our problems on something or someone else. To that end, if this woman is in a good marriage, I say support her to the best of your abilities, give her no reason to think you're the better man to be with, and try to help her to make her current situation better. Realize this may take some tough love and she's going to have to realize that some of the things that are making her unhappy are probably caused by her own issues. Even if she's in an irreparably bad relationship, this doesn't make it an open door for you to jump in or for her to jump out. I think this woman needs guidance whichever way she goes, and she shouldn't be making rash decisions without thinking through the consequences first. If she's truly unhappy, she should do what will make her happy in the long run, not just for the here-and-now. If that means calling it quits in her present relationship and moving on, well, as long as she really gave it her all and it failed despite that, that's alright. As for "the guy", well... All I can say is to be supportive in whatever decision SHE makes on HER OWN, WITHOUT outside influence. If it turns out in his favor, great. If not, she at least has a good friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that grass smells when its been cut but doesnt smell the rest of the time?

At a crime scene, police and forensics take hairs etc to be tested for DNA so does that mean that they hold everybodys DNA…if not, surely this is only useful if the person that has committed a crime has committed a crime before?

Why is it that grass smells when its been cut but doesnt smell the rest of the time?

At a crime scene, police and forensics take hairs etc to be tested for DNA so does that mean that they hold everybodys DNA…if not, surely this is only useful if the person that has committed a crime has committed a crime before?

The short answers: Because, and No.

That "Fresh Cut Grass" smell is most abundant when the grass is freshly clipped because what you're smelling is the plant nectar from the blades of grass. When grass is cut, obviously, it opens up each blade of grass and allows the scent to become airborne. After a day, the tips of the grass blades turn brown and wilt, which closes off that channel of nectar and traps in the scent. The same way a lemon peel keeps the wonderful lemon scent at bay because the scent is in the juice and flesh of the lemon - put one up to your nose and sure, you can smell lemon a little, but it's only when you slice that piece of fruit that you get the real, full scent.

At a crime scene, any bit of evidence is taken into consideration but yes, one of the most important, is DNA. Blood, saliva, skin flakes, semen, hair, you name it. While there isn't an "INTERNATIONAL DNA REGISTRY" that has EVERYBODY on record, any DNA material extracted from crime scene evidence will go on record and in 31 states, you are asked to or required to submit a DNA sample if you've been caught for any felony crime, because statistics show that felony criminals show a high rate of recurrency in crimes committed, and the crimes they commit have a higher potential of being violent. Through this database they can compare samples from registered criminals and victims and confirm to within a percentage point whether the DNA is a match. If several crimes are committed where potential DNA samples were shed, the DNA can be compared to see if the crimes are separate incidents or the product of the same solitary wacko. On the flip side of that coin, DNA samples are also extracted from the victim and can be compared to blood found on a suspect's clothing or a strand of hair found in a car and it can also be used to positively identify a body that might otherwise be unrecognizable. So to answer your question, no, the government does not have a secret stash of DNA samples from all of the people in the 'Verse. That's just silly.

:villiager:

How do you put up with your SB? I asked him in his thread and then realized I was stupid and I forgot you had a Q thread.

How have you been? are you still sexy? yes?

How's work? any heart wrenching stories you need to pour out of you?

Is SB as charming and witty and funny as he seems?

Do you laugh all the time?

Are you as funny as he is?

What's your worst habit?

Would you believe I had this more than 50% answered and my internet quit on me? Pshuh.

How do you put up with your SB? I asked him in his thread and then realized I was stupid and I forgot you had a Q thread.

:frenchy: Its ok. I'm easy to forget.

(*kidding)

It isn't hard really. Wave a DVD, Video game, or the concept of sex in front of him and he'll do just about anything.

How have you been? are you still sexy? yes?

DJ says I'm still sexy, so, yeah ;) And I've been good. Busy, but good. We're moving to a new apartment so that's making life very interesting right now.

How's work? any heart wrenching stories you need to pour out of you?

Work's been steady. been picking up another petsitting job here and there, which has been nice. Heartwrenching stories... Well, someone brought in a 4-wk old kitten that'd been found on the side of the road, and we nursed it back to almost-health but then it crashed and went into seizures and had lockjaw, and passed away a day later :( That was sad. the doctor thinks it might have had rabies because it had puncture wounds on its body that were consistent with an animal bite, so it has to be sent off to a pathologist for confirmation. the girl that took care of the kitten over the weekend was just crushed, she did really good work bringing it back around, but it was just too sick. Then I get a call at 6:58 this morning (this is my day off, mind you) from a client that I pet sit for, her puppy has had three exploratory surgeries to remove foreign objects that she's eaten (towel, doll clothes, etc). She'd been sick all night last night and didn't realize it til this morning since the dogs stay locked in a room at night, and when they got her to the emergency clinic, it was getting ready to close, so they couldn't do anything. I have a sick feeling that this is going to be number four for her, and she just had the last one two weeks ago. I feel for these people, because they've already invested over 4K into her medical expenses alone but I also want to smack them and tell them to wisen up, because they're not doing what we told them to do with this dog - obedience lessons, basket muzzle for when she can't be watched, and a crate. She's only 8 months old, she can't keep going like this. :(

Is SB as charming and witty and funny as he seems?

Oh absolutely. He's not terribly talkative but when he gets into a conversation he knows how to bring the funny.

Do you laugh all the time?

Yeah, I really do. I love to laugh and thankfully most of hte people I see on a daily basis are funny people that like to joke around.

Are you as funny as he is?

Yes... but looks aren't everything.

Seriously, though, I do like to think I'm a funny person, and as long as people genuinely laugh at my jokes, I'll continue to think that way.

What's your worst habit?

I'm a lazy slob. I'm real good at making a mess, but I'm terrible at picking up after myself.

KEEP BRINGIN' THE QUESTIONS! This thread makes me happy :blink:

How the hell do you hold all of the knowledge of the world inside your head?! I feel a bit smarter now after reading your answers on the thread

I wouldn't say I have *ALL* the knowledge of the world tucked inside my head. For example, I for the life of me can not figure out WHY Fox was stupid enough to cancel Firefly. *shrug*.

I know a little bit about a lot of things, it's no secret. I just retain the things that interest me, is all, and the things I don't know, I research. I'm glad you feel *smarter* after reading my thread - LOL! I'd be crushed if it was the other way around.

;)

Archived