Hondo's Bar

Daria

Reverend Jax

Who is your favorite Daria character  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the order in which they appear in the poll above:

Daria, Quinn, Helen, Jake, Jane, Trent, Tom, Sandi, Stacy, Tiffany, Brittany, Jodie, Kevin, Mack, Upchuck, Ms Barch, Mr O'Neill, Mr DeMartino, & Ms Li.

These are the only regulars I can imagine anyone voting for. I can't really see about wanting to vot for Joey, Jeffy, or Jamie. Or Mrs Bennett or Ms Defoe. So give a shout of for you favorite character and say why.

My favorite is Jake, because of his violent mood swings and blissful unawareness of everything around him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Well, the show's on DVD now, but all the original music has been replaced with covers or instrumentals because Viacom couldn't be arsed to pay licensing fees. So I'm downloading a torrent that remixes the original music into the DVD video. If they're fine with taking the cheap way out, I can be too.

We had a Daria marathon a while back. I remember watching bits and pieces of the show when it was on, but I forgot sooo much of it. It was fun to watch it in its entirety :misty:

I can't remember who I voted for in this poll... I'll have to mull over my fav. character as of now and get back to it.

• 3 years later...

As much as I like Aubrey Plaza, I don't think Daria translates well to live action. The trailer was amusing, but I saw a lot of people online say that seeing this fake trailer makes them wish they would actually make a live action Daria movie, and I say watching this trailer makes me glad that they probably never will.

• 4 years later...

MTV bringing Daria back with "Daria and Jodie."

“DARIA & JODIE” 

The iconic animated franchise is reinvented through the eyes of heroine Daria Morgendorffer and one of her closest friends Jodie Landon. These two smart young women take on the world, with their signature satirical voice while deconstructing popular culture, social classes, gender and race."

Not sure if this going to work in this day and age. Just more privileged white people complaining about first-world problems. It's a catch-22 because to do otherwise will be seen as pandering. It just doesn't seem like a good time for it. In the age of president shithole, less seems funny. Also, since I didn't want to put it on The Handmaiden's Tale thread since I've never seen an episode, I'm sneaking it in here; I didn't title it, read it first before you flog me: Women Are Evil

so did you actually read it?

Edited by Drifter
  • Downvote 1

Daria was my shit. I loved the hell out of that show when I was younger. I even dressed up like her for Halloween once.

But I tried to revisit it as an adult and I couldn’t get back into it. When I was an angsty teen, Daria was my hero. But as an adult who was trying to be more positive and see *some* good in the world, I found her needlessly pessimistic and annoying. I wonder if this new Daria will be satirical but not just be a fucking bummer all the time. I’ll probably check out an episode or two to see how they write her now. 

Also, no Jane Lane??

6 hours ago, Drifter said:

so did you actually read it?

No. Not every single topic ties back into Trump and politics though. It's such a stretch here, and probably not a good place to be "sneaking" in articles completely unrelated to the topic at hand. The board has been pretty bleak lately, no need to make it bleaker where it doesn't have to be. 

Also if I can ever get @kjb_makes back in here, she'd tell you all how she loved this show growing up and that Jane BETTER make an appearance!

• Really Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Ok, I am pumped for this for a variety of reasons: 

A) Please see the name.

B) Daria was my nickname in high school from a disposition standpoint

C) Despite a couple topics and the absence of major technology, the show has aged well and is still pretty relatable. If they keep a similar voice and format it'll be tough to mess up.

To see Jodie in the title rather than the usual duo of Daria and Jane gave me a tummy ache. Still, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense and is the potential for some great stuff. Daria and Jodie were always quite similar in pointing out society flaws from the point of view of a conflicted high schooler. Daria usually chose to address issues with veiled sarcasm and boundaries from those she felt didn't get it, and Jodie was a top of her class African American student in several leadership positions trying to work "within the system" and lead others to something better. They were both smart, both wanted to get out of that town, and both weren't afraid to speak their minds when they saw something that didn't work. 

I'm ready for more official things to come of this rumor/announcement!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I too was bummed not to see Jane. I liked Jane. Her and Daria's relationship seemed real. But I can see why they would go with Jodie. Daria was very much a product of it's time and I think they are still going for that vibe. Women are speaking up and more women of color are speaking up.