Hondo's Bar

Your collection

The NZA

i'm sticking with my quality v. quantity argument here. that said, you should post updated pics of your library and its current layout when you can.

I have you know good sir that my books are of high quality.

People who paid good money to buy Just Imagine Stan Lee have no right to talk.

th_PICT0983.jpg

th_PICT0987.jpg

th_PICT0986.jpg

th_PICT0985.jpg

So much cool stuff, but the organization gives me a seizure. As far as I can tell they're sorted by cover type and format.

I...I can't...I just...*twitch*

I would last about 3 minutes as a guest before I let out a yelp, knocked them all to the ground and started frantically alphabetizing them, gnashing my teeth at anyone who approached.

see, logans, i thought you were onto some smart shit. some ellis shit, about why you should organize by writer, or genre, or the like...

then you said alphabetizing. let me down, bro.

i feel stupid for having all the marvel stuff on one shelf, but a) i tell myself its "the superhero section" when b) its really that the hardcovers can only fit on that shelf.

oh, while we're at it: at h-con, JZA, Chief & others enjoyed rearranging my collection when i was doing other things. shit ain't right.

Wait so, there's drama with listing them by publisher? Given that I can't remember every arc's name I'd lose my mind trying to find shit. I go by publisher, then Alphabetise/ arc order(the only arc exception I've encountered is keeping Bendis' crossover events together) because it's easier to keep track of what i want next, too.

doing by character, i can get that - especially keeping up with crossovers.

i just always agreed with Ellis: organizing by publisher makes as much fucking sense as a music store where there's a Def Jam section, others for Arista, Virgin, etc. i mean, ok, there's some merit to characters interacting in the same universe, but when i find myself thinking on that too much, i realize i should own more non-capes trades.

So much cool stuff, but the organization gives me a seizure. As far as I can tell they're sorted by cover type and format.

I...I can't...I just...*twitch*

I would last about 3 minutes as a guest before I let out a yelp, knocked them all to the ground and started frantically alphabetizing them, gnashing my teeth at anyone who approached.

It's like that in scene in High Fidelity where he's organizing his records chronologically...except not.

My DVD collection is organized by genre. My comics are sadly pretty much just unorganized sitting in longboxes waiting to be sold re-organized.

that much is true. if you're leaving them in there & not even lookin at em (and you can make some $ selling on ebay if you've got books people want in good condition, if not, you'll lose time/money on shipping), Panch's comic rescue mission has found a home for many orphan books. i recall he even keeps the lowly scab books (albeit in a separate box) so stuff like pack-in He-Man comics and the like still get a home.

I've given some issues as Christmas presents before, but to ...just...give away comics....can't...process.

I'm still holding on tot he investment dreams of 12-yr-old Hakujin where the multiple duplicates of Spawn, Wild C.A.T.S., X-Force, and X-Men #1s will finance my first indie film. It could happen... :transmet:

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

edit: this is totally Thelogan.

see, logans, i thought you were onto some smart shit. some ellis shit, about why you should organize by writer, or genre, or the like...

My old man organizes by some weird artist/writer/inker system, I never liked it. He seems to be able to find anything instantly, but I submit this: What if the writer and artist hold equal merit? I don't want to make those kinds of calls.

My longboxes are meticulously alphabetized, so Amazing Spider-Man is in the "A's". I don't do that with the shelves, Astonishing X-Men and Uncanny X-Men both go in the "X"'s and then get sorted chronologically.

It's a good system, dammit. If my shelves were a store you would be able to find what you were looking for quickly with no previous knowledge of Omnibuseses or Marvelses.

Edited by Special K

Astonishing and Uncanny go in the X-Men box (yeah, they have their own box along with the Ultimate Universe), but I start it with 'X-Men' THEN I alphabetize by title. Same with Hulk, Avengers and of course Spidey. Also, in almost every case if the character stars in the book, but has a different title (Detective Comics, Action Comics, Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier) they still go under the character tab. Batman, Superman and Cap respectively. In some cases I have first appearances that have a different title (Noble Causes: Family Secrets)... yeah, they sometimes go in the character spot, too. My process is crazy, but I can find everything perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

doing by character, i can get that - especially keeping up with crossovers.

i just always agreed with Ellis: organizing by publisher makes as much fucking sense as a music store where there's a Def Jam section, others for Arista, Virgin, etc. i mean, ok, there's some merit to characters interacting in the same universe, but when i find myself thinking on that too much, i realize i should own more non-capes trades.

Nice theory, but CDs don't have prominent spinal tagging. Being okay with my lack of indie, I like the long line of marvel banners, possibly as much so or less than it's Vertigo equivalent with the VERTIGO at the bottom. Hell, I even rebought one or two of the reduxed Preacher Volumes onthat basis(pre-hardcover of course :pinch: )

In the process of moving my room around again for the third time in as many months, and hopefully this'll be the one i FINALLY get right and will share pics of.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Third 'shelf is assembled, and its been a long time now, that I own more mangas than the main library of Turku. Number of tankoubons is 750+ and I dont plan to stop anytime soon...

5wjkh1.jpg

2cp2ck3.jpg

11tvsrq.jpg

qrktp3.jpg

4ijyq9.jpg

14c5hg2.jpg

Edited by Boogie
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally got my books shelved. I decided to split from the strict alphabetizing on the shelf, and instead arranged them following my own set of arcane rules, mostly grouped with the creator that's important to me and then chronologically. It isn't as aesthetically pleasing as, say, putting everything with a big red "MARVEL" next to each other, but I like it.

It's a very humble collection by Hondo's standards, but there's a lot of gold in there and it pleases me to look upon.

BTzQP.jpg?1

8G5vk.jpg

6ik1p.jpg

z76Q6.jpg

PIQPZ.jpg

6xlkg.jpg

dYCxV.jpg

We really gotta fix this pic resizing issue in the fantastic forum.

• Upvote 1