Hondo's Bar

Favourite Movie Posters

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, good movie, not such a great poster. The tag line is good and the soap idea was always a good image, but the portraits are kinda dull and unimpressive and squeezing in Helena Bonham Carter's name there reeks of a decision made on a marketing level as opposed to a creative one.

Here's a few of mine.

BOONDOCKRP.jpg

Just a very cool image. It also gives you an idea of what you're in for - a movie that's less about characters and more about style.

189839.jpg

Very few posters I've seen have captured what the movie is about as well as this one. Whoever decided it would be right to go art deco on this deserved a cookie. And a raise.

24-285.jpg

Once again, I much prefer a strong graphic image instead of the typical "floating faces" collage that most studios put out for their films. It's much more striking.

SHAWREM.JPG

I don't think I really need to say anything about this one.

KillBill-Teaser.jpg

Ooooor this one.

1217537.jpg

The Harry Potter people have consistently come up with striking poster designs (except for the last two dvd covers...and I've always been a little disappointed that they abandoned the painted storybook look after the first movie) but this is the best of the lot. There's a lot of poster-worthy imagery in the Potter universe and I'm very impressed that they were able to resist using so much of it in favor or such a striking, iconic and brilliant image. Cookies for them too.

505151.jpg

Hands down the best Bond poster in...well it might be the best ever. Most Bond films have posters that are big collages full of explosions and hot women (except for Die Another Day which had pretty crappy posters all around) but this low-key but dangerous looking image really fits in with the direction they're trying to take the series - into darker and more sophisticated territory.

421240.jpg

The Lord of the Rings movies put out tons and tons of posters and to be honest, most of them I didn't really like. But for some reason this one really struck me.

24-381.jpg

Say what you will about the movie or the fact that the poster's been spoofed more times than almost any other, but it's still a good image.

189530.jpg

Now I put this one up to illustrate what I hate about how movie studios treat most movie posters. The original (and now hard to find) poster for Saving Private Ryan did not have the actors' faces in the clouds, it simply had the image of the soldier and sky all the way up. It was beautiful. But marketing execs figure that actors sell movies, not images, so this is one of the many many poster images ruined by someone insisting that there be a recognizable face in it.

poster_lg01.jpg

This is probably one of my favorite posters of the last ten years. Like the Saving Private Ryan one, this poster also got butchered by a marketing deparment. The international and revised versions have a new face photoshopped onto Tom Hanks to make him well-lit and visible. Worse yet, the dvd version not only has the photoshopped face, but also shrinks this image to about an inch in the corner and has the rest of the space dominated by a big Tom Hanks picture (see?) Stupid people.

Cant argue with any of them...surprised SB passed on the classic Indiana Jones ones tho.

i was gonna use "A better tomorrow" but the DVD cover's the one i like. so...

PF_980866.jpg

1157.jpg

this one was just fun:

devils.jpg

170462.jpg

another fun one:

godzillavert.jpg

10001063A.jpg

The Deer Hunter - harsh.

IL_CAC.JPG

THGUGY.jpg

192926.jpg

192937.jpg

730804.jpg

Hey isn't that the same head from the Rock School poster?

3491poster.jpg

Anyway, as promised, some of my favorite Drew Struzan posters. Trust me, it's hard to narrow it down

hellboy-ok.jpg

harrypttr.jpg

stwrsspec.jpg

mallrats.jpg

indianacrus.jpg

betterdead.jpg

These two were never used to the film in its theatrical release but at least one of them was used for the special edition dvd.

shawshank10th.jpg

shawshank10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I can't find a high res version of this which is a shame because it has to be one of, if not the greatest posters to come out this year or ever.

00000484.jpg

There's lots of images that prey on our childhood dreams, I've never seen anything else before that preyed on my childhood fears to such an extent. Hmm, I might ask Terry about it in person today.

Nicer version, but it's all in foreign.

poster.jpg

Great Band of Brothers poster. This one too

195949.jpg

They practically are the poster for Saving Private Ryan with out the montaged head-shots, which are generally inappropriate, unless it's a movie about Tom Hanks leading a squad of giant semi transparent heads smashing the Axis.

The original Saving Private Ryan poster didn't have the montaged headshots (which I also hate), and Band of Brothers used the image because it was produced by a lot of the same people and they wanted to link the two. Hell, I think it's pretty likely they even used the same exact sky background for both posters. It's still a good image.

A truly iconic image in my opinion. There are some more run-of-the-mill posters which follow the same format as most historical/classical epics around today. There's something in Sir Anthonys expression which tells you how truly tragic and darkly funny the film will be before you've ever seen it.

titus_ADV.jpg

A simple eye-catching design. One that really tells you: "People get bate up in this movie dey doo ya fackin geeza!" Pardon the awful phonetic spelling but im sure you get my drift.

poster.jpg

Just a great poster. Simple as.

22_human_traffic.jpg

As an avid Trekkie I just couldn't not put up a Star Trek one. There's an alternate poster for first contact with Picard and Data on it but its not as interesting as this one. This one is just amazing looking in my opinion and is one of the best star trek movie posters ever.

star-trek-first-contact-resistance-is-futile-us-advance-3700092.jpg

Props on the Titus one. The Trek series has almost always had good posters. I kinda liked the posters for the last one, though I hear the movie itself wasn't so good (strange because I think it was an even movie).

192139.jpg

501057.jpg

That's a lousy version of the second one. I recall the colors and contrast being a lot better in person.

Some of my favorite ones so far this year:

505079.jpg

Gorgeous poster, though I still like the original title - September - better.

867410.jpg

Probably the best of the new Superman posters.

505054.jpg

503798.jpg

Pretty predictable that they'd do this image, but still cool nonetheless.

505102.jpg

505138.jpg

505122.jpg

This thread is awesome...

But marketing execs figure that actors sell movies, not images

Never a more statement of truth right there if you think about it.

I agree though the Private Ryan one, I remember that poster and it was very cool.

Here's a few I enjoy...

backdraft_ver1.jpg

goldeneye1.jpg

8204_poster.jpg

jaws.jpg

wyatt_earp_ver1.jpg

et.jpg

item_915_1.jpg

EMPIREAREPR.JPG

003_EMPIRESBRP.jpg

raiders.jpg

blues_brothers_ver1.jpg

cocoon.jpg

47424.1020.A.jpg

psycho_ii.jpg

Props on the Titus one. The Trek series has almost always had good posters. I kinda liked the posters for the last one, though I hear the movie itself wasn't so good (strange because I think it was an even movie).

192139.jpg

Yeah it wasn't great and it was number 10 so big things were expected from it. The posters were really good. Although i find they seem to like putting Picard and Data in them. Give Deanna Troi and her bountiful bosom a look in next time :)

I liked the first couple Next Generation Star Trek movies. Generations had some good campy fun and First Contact was just a hella good sci-fi movie period, but after I realized they were going to focus on Picard and Data in every movie (despite having a main cast of, what, like twelve?) I got bored. Stewart and Spiner are great actors but their characters can only be stretched so thin.

Anyway, back to de posters. And here's a helluva lot of my favorites.

FLM90004.jpg

278203.jpg

One of the first and most successful teaser campaigns ever, and one of the most recognizable illustrations in film history.

CHINATN.JPG

503382.jpg

1047.jpg

309429.jpg

003_UNFORGIARP.jpg

One of my favorite posters ever.

806009.jpg

190948.jpg

003_EXORCISRRP.jpg

188358.jpg

1219373.jpg

421396.jpg

421436.jpg

501620.jpg

I maintain that this poster would be better if the tagline ("Everything that has a beginning has an end") was removed and instead just had the word "end" at the bottom of one of the lines of code, but it's still a cool poster.

195525.jpg

917233.jpg

196787.jpg

503274.jpg

196380.jpg

Finally found the original

good-night-and-good-luck.jpg

10048152A.jpg

203177.jpg

198605.jpg

brick6.jpg

144095.jpg

846210.jpg

194459.jpg

194530.jpg

201879.jpg

501124.jpg

938293.jpg

971171.jpg

10086082A.jpg

194553.jpg

The fact that they felt the need to repeat the title down in the corner is a little insulting, though

189739.jpg

196393.jpg

826735.jpg

200923.jpg

190512.jpg

I liked the first couple Next Generation Star Trek movies. Generations had some good campy fun and First Contact was just a hella good sci-fi movie period, but after I realized they were going to focus on Picard and Data in every movie (despite having a main cast of, what, like twelve?) I got bored. Stewart and Spiner are great actors but their characters can only be stretched so thin.

Anyway, back to de posters. And here's a helluva lot of my favorites.

FLM90004.jpg

I found a new and improved version of that one.

poster_mimi.jpg

Good call on Brick, they did a nice campaign parodying the current obsession of single character one sheets.