Hondo's Bar

Favourite Movie Posters

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bass didn't do the Edmond poster. He died, what, more than ten years ago?

Yeah, I know he did not do the Edmond poster, I should have specified he didn't, I was pretty tired. :loopy: It is deffinitely inspired by him.

As a side note, did you Bass assisted in the main title animations for Psycho, and Anatomy of a Murder.

Another one my favorite posters for Michael Mann's "The Insider" shows that less is more

196501~The-Insider-Posters.jpg

If you remember that film is about a Big Tobacco whistle blower, to me the poster resembles a cigarette warning.

AND FOR THE RECORD, SILENT BOB HAS THE MAN CRUSH ON MR. SCIENTOLOGY!

Edited by Dark Kaniggit

Only his profile.

Bass designed those titles from start to finish. He really was a master of titles. Psycho's titles still look great today. Speaking of Psycho, they say he co-directed the shower sequence and helped Hitchcock determine where to edit to both appease the censors and get the most impact out of the scene. Any man that Hitchcock turns to for help is a freakin' god of design!

That Insider poster is fantastic. I'd never seen that one before.

Edited by Silent Bob

Your knowledge of design is impressive Silent Bob. I speak to you as a fellow designer a one who appreciates good art.

I sometimes write from the perspective that my audience is not well versed in art, clearly that is not the case with you. I will from this point on speak as though I am speaking to a well read audience.

Anyway... one more

78.jpg

A true classic often imitated, here's one by my favorite band Pearl Jam (I own this one by the way)

WPB98.jpg

Edited by Dark Kaniggit

• 4 years later...

I've always had an affinity for this one:

5304541020A.jpg

It shares some similarities with the Star Wars poster but I think it's really well-done and crisp and gets the point across about what this movie is going to be about. The batshit crazy Japanese version has merit as well:

army-of-darkness-japanese-poster.jpg

Like anything Japanese, it doesn't make very much sense but it has bright colors and a chainsaw so we forgive it.

Speaking of posters that evoke the spirit and contents of the movie:

shaun_of_the_dead.jpg

Fucking love this poster, wish it was used more on DVD versions.

Then there's this beauty:

Taint_Poster2.png

I've got a copy of this signed by the directors and I love pretty much everything about it. The crude drawings, the outline, the "KILL WOMEN" superimposed on the aviators, the title font, and especially the eye-searing neon pink color they used. The simplified version has its charms as well.

Taint_Poster1.png

P.S. Hakujin - how much are you wanting for that Frighteners poster?

Edited by Iambaytor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...