Hondo's Bar

Mike's Mixed Martial Arts Madness Thread!

Da Cap'n

Yes, ma'am. Be there between 8-9, BYOB, and any snacks if u want. I'll be picking up some veggie finger foods and stuff. After the fight, stay fo some beer pong and drinking games. Gonna be an epic night. Word to the wise, parking will be limited. I know u know where the house is, but if anyone needs the address, message me.

:misty: Limey fucker got lucky. Mike did awesome. Of all the fights, he seemed the most into it. I got as pumped watching as I do when it's a Boston game. Maybe even moreso than the average Boston game. Damned rotted British teeth motherfucker with an ass for a lip to go with it. This calls for a Boston Tea Party.

So I know this is a week late, but I wanted to thank everyone who came out to Panch's dad's house to support Mike. Even though we all suffered that loss, it's not over yet. There's still a chance for our own to make it big, so keep on supporting. We had a great time at the party, considering. So, thanks again guys.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Here's more references for the wiki (which has been flagged because they say I'm "too close to the subject". Yeah, if they only knew how badly we don't get along):

mikerio.jpg?w=902&h=341

We last saw Mike Rio on The Ultimate Fighter Live but unfortunatly he was one of two fighters injured on the show and unable to compete in the finale.

While a date isn’t set in stone yet Mike is expecting to have his official UFC debut later this year and talks to us today about his time on the show, his thoughts on facing Brock Lesnar in the WWE and what he’s doing to stay connected with fans while not on camera.

In the very first UFC there were no rounds and no time limit, but all of the fights were stopped in less than 5 minutes. For better or worse as the level of talent increases in the UFC we’re seeing an increase in the number of defense battles and nearly half of all fights today go to decision. How important is it to you to finish fights, is a win or win or are you always looking for the knockout?

I’m always looking for the finish (in any way) this is an extreme combat sport in which anything can happen so my goal is to get in and out to lower the chances of getting hurt.

It’s rumored that by January 2013 HBO will introduce a new technology called PunchForce, a device that will be placed in boxers’ gloves to measure the speed and force of punches. While the initial intention of the device is to provide “datatainment” (aka data based entertainment for TV viewers) it may eventually become a factor in scoring. What do you think about the state of MMA scoring today and the role of technology in the future?

Well the goal in anything is to evolve. So adding more technology and knowledge to the sport is a given. Plus it’s going to be cool to see who hits harder with who has a higher percentage as well as to see how much of a difference it really makes.

Like many in the UFC you started wrestling well before you’d even considered MMA as a profession, what was your high school/college record and how long did it take for you to get your fastest pin?

I was a two time high school state champ and a three time college national champion. My fastest pin was recorded at 4 seconds in the 9th grade.

Had the UFC not been around would you have looked to use your wrestling background in any other way, in other words might we have seen you in the WWE fighting Brock Lesner?

[laughs] If I were 6 inches taller and 100 pounds heavier I would love to do the WWE. With that said the UFC saved my life in a sense. I don’t know what exactly what I would be doing now if it weren’t for them.

Talk to me about your time on the show.

The show was an experience like no other. I’ve been in extraneous situations before and I’ve excelled but adding the fact that we weren’t allowed to contact anyone from the outside world added an X-Factor that made it the hardest thing I have ever done.

I loved my time on the show and it made me re-see things I’ve lost along the way. The reality part was interesting to see [laughs] and I think they highlighted the personality you showed to them. So if you were funny around the house the portrayed you at the funny guy.

Unfortunately injuries ultimately prevented both yourself and Andy Ogle from competing on the finale to The Ultimate Fighter, when are you scheduled to have your UFC debut?

I’ve already contacted Joe Silva and he is looking in November or December. I can’t wait to fight under the UFC lights. [smiles]

Do you have a contract with the UFC or, like The Ultimate Fighter itself, do you need a win to secure another fight?

I’m not 100% contracted yet. I’m still under the TUF contract. So this fight is going to be my “finally fight” so in other words it doesn’t matter what I have accomplished before this is going to be the most important fight of my life, so be ready because I’m looking to bring down the house. [smiles]

How important is self-marketing in this sport and how many hours a week would you say you dedicate to social media channels like Twitter and Facebook where you can interact directly with your fans?

Social media is huge in this sport.

I’m selling myself as a brand.

I can’t fight forever so the goal is the get as big and as fast as possible so I can make a life for myself after fighting. I spend almost every waking moment posting and replying to fans. I know that if it weren’t for them that I wouldn’t have even been on the show and I want to thank all my fans who contact me and post anything on my behalf. I need my fans to get bigger and better and I will always give them 100% when I step into that octagon.

Have you stayed in touch with anyone from the show?

Off course, those are my guys!

Andy [Ogle] and I are great friends and we contact each other all the time to see how training is going and to just shoot the breeze. I also try to tag them on funny posts or inspirational quotes so we can stay linked.

You know you’ve made it once you’ve found your first haters online. Speaking of Andy, I know he was hit with a clever copycat on Twitter that convinced a number of people that he’d been hacked/changed accounts, have you received any unwanted attention since the show aired?

[laughs] I remember him … he fooled me too. I’m happy to say I’ve only gotten positive feedback from everyone. I haven’t gotten any “hate mail” … yet [laughs]

How do select your walkout music and do you think anyone can come close to matching Alex Caceres’ flair?

I usually pick the song that most speaks to me before the fight but now I have my friends DJ Reflex and DJ Ariel Assault that made me a hype walkout mix to get the fans up and out of their seats. And very few people have Alex “Bruce Leroy” Caceres’s flair. The best part is he has that great big positive personality all the time. He always pushes everyone in practices just because he works hard and keeps his energy up.

What do you think of Jon Anik’s role in Warrior?

I finally watched warrior on NetFlix and wow! I have to say that is one of the best movies I have ever seen. It was so real. I love Jon Anik. He’s a great guy who loves what he does (great ambassador for the sport) on the show he talked to us all the time and never acted like he was too “Hollywood” for us.

What do you think will come first, women’s divisions in the UFC or MMA in the Olympics?

Olympics or UFC Women’s division? That’s a tough one.

There are way too many talented female fighters to put it off the woman’s division for too much longer (the sooner the better) and the Olympics is the next step to the sport’s evolution.

Thank you for your time, is there anything else you’d like to add?

Thank you to my fans, friends, and family for never expecting anything less than greatness from me. I love you guys [smiles]

You can follow Mike on Twitter at @MikeRioMMA

http://5thround.co.u...-from-tuf-live/

Edited by Panch

Yeah, last time I checked I was flagged, but cheking now, none. Cool.

As far as the references go, I can probably find some info to add to the wiki itself. In the very least, double reference some shit. From this experience, I've learned, the more the merrier.

Looks like he'll have a UFC fight by the end of the year :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Everyone! Go to Facebook right now, type "Ultimate Fighting Championship" in your search box, click that shit, like that shit and then watch Mike "The Wolverine" Rio fight on Saturday, December 15th at 5:30pm eastern time in his UFC debut! The shit is live streaming on FB so you don't even have to get up.

Miami locals:

382064_565222250170477_1900499228_n.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...