Hondo's Bar

Mike's Mixed Martial Arts Madness Thread!

Da Cap'n

haha - mike saying he's looking to "finish the fight" feels like halo 3.

so yeah, finally caught the main event - that was a fight! blood everywhere.

i want to disagree with panch here (your brother's striking game isn't bad, he picked up boxing pretty fast - he hits hard, he uses his weight properly, his footwork is tight/balanced, and if anything was proven here, he's god a solid chin!), but this was a bad matchup for him striking-wise, since his opponent was a good defensive fighter. if you watch, Mike throws jabs/a few crosses, then leaves them hanging there as if he's feeling his opponent out - this is a perfect opening, and maclean takes just about every chance that's offered. by the end, mike picks up speed and they're trading shots, and you get to see just how much damage he can do from solidly landing that one before taking it to the floor.

he's gotta know it's something that needs working on, but i'm still surprised he's as open to taking a hit after that nose injury a while back - he was a lot more cautious right after that (understandably so, but i was worried for a bit it might affect his style too much, which clearly isnt the case). and obviously his groundwork looked perfect; he gave the guy so little, and took way more chances to keep the hits/pressure on the whole way. man, that was a good fight.

if there's any wake-up call here for the danger of speed/hard hitters, it was Sicilia though. that actually made me feel bad for his opponent, who is still prolly watching the feed and trying to sort out what happened, haha.

Nick, he takes too many hits. His footwork is fine, but he doesn't get those hands up. He relies too heavily on trying to dodge. Unsuccessfully most of the time. It's like he gets tired of getting hit then finally goes to his bread and butter. Why not start off with that? With boxing, all it takes is one punch as Sicilia proved earlier in the night.

Jax, I really don't know how they'll do the rest of the show. I guess we'll all find out together.

for the same reason he's worked on his striking, and you seem him trying to utilize it here, panch - he knows he needs to be a well-rounded fighter. his style is more offensive, but he needs to be able to handle a defensive one that either doesn't give him the ground (like that guy who beat him on decision) or this guy if his D was more steady. when you think about it though, this guy was a good boxer, and his groundwork wasn't bad - he worked hard to break free & got closer to his feet than i thought he would've, he was just severely outclassed there.

boxing rarely comes down to one punch - unless you leave yourself wide open like Sicilia's opponent did, and you can move fast/decisive enough to exploit that. i'm agreeing with you here completely that mike leaving his hands down is the problem (you can get by for a while on dodging, but you've gotta be fast and read any style, even southpaws, even faster), but it takes work - the only thing i don't agree with is the notion that he should leave that by the wayside. i was fortunate enough to train with a few golden gloves in the day, and your brother's still one of the only ones i think ive seen who could take it to that level, but he's not gonna get there only playing to his strengths, you know?

if i was going up against mike, his entire resume screams "counter his hits/dont give him the mat". i can't imagine some of the skilled fighters here not thinking just that - i totally get your point if you're saying that's something he could work on elsewhere when the stakes aren't as high, but on the other hand? this is the best place he's been in to work on that, and also the most dangerous one to ignore any openings.

crap, they didnt divy up the teams yet, did they? that's what i get for not watching the whole thing.

also - since i/others here don't know much about UFC, any essential matches to see from those coaches? it'd be good to have a background here - like, i didn't even know that about Faber. do you think the 2 get to pick/draft their teams?

I believe the coaches Diaz and Faber have actually fought each other before (couldn't find any videos, though). Both are well known in the MMA community.

I'm sure that next week's show will feature heavily the picking of the teams.

.boxing rarely comes down to one punch .

Yeah, but it's not like Punch Out where you have a life bar, either. One solid punch can end a match. But Mikey doesn't leave himself open to those kinds of punches, despite boxing not being his discipline of choice. As for the idea that he's not going to the mat fast enough, any fighter with 30 seconds to Google 'Mike Rio' prior to a fight is going to know that is what Mikey will go for, so they will be guarding for it. Because of that, Mikey has to wait for the right opening. Diving for a single or double leg takedown takes a bit of energy and leaves you open to being controlled, it's not something you want to do 10 times unsuccessfully in one round. If Mikey was hesitant to go for the legs, he wouldn't have so many submissions in under 60 seconds (that's why I joked "why'd it take him so long this time" during his fight at FIU when it was a submission in 61 seconds). If it's taking him a while to shoot for the legs, it's because he knows what he's doing and he's waiting for an opening against opponents whom clearly know it's coming.

Edited by Reverend Jax

I'm hoping that whatever coach does pick him up--and I have a feeling they will both fight for him--will help him wrangle his flaws. I think that is the basis of this competition. They most likely train all week, then have a matchup live on Friday nights. I haven't heard or read of anything along the elimination front and from what I gathered, only one pair will fight a week.

And as far as the coaches, if I didn't hear wrong, in the beginning they were talking about how they actually do not like each other. I think Cruz took the title away from Faber or something like that. I'd go back to the recording to reference, but I deleted it once I finished watching.

Yeah, its Cruz (I said Diaz earlier - Hispanics all look the same).

Jax is right, too. Anyone that hasn't just crawled out from under a rock'll know what Mike's gonna do (although, in this case, I think the fighters had no idea their opponent until right before. Possibly not until they stepped into the ring). I guess, I just don't want to see my brother get taken out by one lucky punch.

Benny & I were talking about it over lunch and we figured that the premise of the show (since we watch so many damn reality shows we could write a book) will be that weekly they will have a challenge and the bottom two will meet in the ring to see who will stay in the house.

Don't know, but since we're going on nothing, it sounds pretty good.

I watched the whole thing and the current champion in that class is the guy that has the dark hair. Supposedly he has an undefeated record, his only loss to the other coach. Then they had a rematch and the champion won. So it's not like its a hot rivalry.

Unfortunately there are some really good strikers this season, so I hope he finds a way to beat them.

jax doesn't know what he's talkin bout with life meters. you see them after taking a few hits, trust me.

ya'll are kidding with this "one lucky punch" talk - for as much as we're monday-morning quarterbacking, Mike can take a hit. that dude (and plenty before) was throwing heat, and it barely broke his concentration. $20 says he doesn't fall from one hit, at the very least till after this show.

so, who's dick enough to take a bet against mike? :2T:

Sorry nick gotta disagree with you here... if you've watched UFC enough, you know there's a lot of fights that last seconds. A well placed kick or punch will end a fight quickly, unlike boxing. Im guessing it's cause of the gloves. Check youtube.

I don't understand why mike keeps his guard down too. and when he backs up, sometimes he throws his hands up in the air (saying ehh oo). Now, people will hate maywether, but he does not hold up his hands and dodges very, very well. But he's a professional boxer and with all due respect, mike would be wise not to think he's in the same league.

sorry spiffy, but i don't think you've followed Mike as a fighter than - in typical fashion, jax kinda said something, then didn't say something in his post:

But Mikey doesn't leave himself open to those kinds of punches, despite boxing not being his discipline of choice.

he's not going to take a power punch/haymaker dead-on and get laid out. if you think it's anywhere likely, take my $20. :villain:

ps boxing gloves largely aren't about softening punches (some studies show the damage is worse than bareknuckle), they're about saving your hands.

I will say Mike has a VERY strong chin, but that doesn't matter, man. One perfectly placed punch will put anyone to bed. I just would like Mike to improve his defense/hands. He's letting way too much get by, for my liking. I'm gonna stop talking about this in fear of jinxing :/

Edited by Panch

fair enough. i (and Sen, when she cleans her room) have vowed to rock his wolverine bands until he's home! i ain't even gonna wash it till then, haha.

also, should go without saying, but: when he goes to the finals, keep me in the loop for the vegas trip.

again, look at the form - they don't square up the same, because they have an entire lower half to worry about, much less takedowns. their stance is gonna be looser by nature: money mayweather stands at such an angle as to give you almost nothing but shoulder, head tucked low as well - try that in kickboxing and you'll catch a sweep to that leg, or worse yet in MMA, your opponent shoots in on you, etc.

they're entirely different fighting styles, so they get different results. Boxing matches likely take longer as a result - but if you're only into power hitters, go watch Tyson or Foreman in their prime, they both took dudes out very quickly, and sometimes broke jaws doing so. i get what youre saying spiffy, i was just saying Mike's not gonna leave himself open to that.

panch is really gonna fuss that we're jinxing this if you keep at it though