Hondo's Bar

Campaign to Limit Signatures

archangel

Should we post a limit on Signatures?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way the other side is treating our concerns is plain rude. Just because you disagree with our concerns over the boards does not mean they get to brush it off as if we're crazy, which is how it's being treated.

Disagreement is how it started. It quickly turned away from that to insulting.

alright, well, if youve decided your back in this, then call out those (in particular) you found insulting. im not keeping score on sensitivities here, but so far, i only recall you being taken aback by SuperE, and thusly replied to her.

nope, my part here is done. Nothing I say is going to change people's habits, nor do I expect any real change. My purpose was awareness, and I succeeded enough to get 29 people to vote.

Do what you will, but I'm pretty much jaded with this place for the time being.

For the sake of fairness:

WAH, WAH, WAH!

TURN THEM OFF AND DON'T BITCH ABOUT IT

By doing this your being an asshole (yes I said it)... and no I don't care about what you have to say

Then again, this looks another direct attack (attemp to show us all, how right you're) from you against Jax

Joel, from now on your new name is Fidel Castro! This isn't about what's best for the board, this is about what's "best" for YOU! What YOU want!!

For anyone who is with the common sense parade here, ie, against arch

i just think this is all a little ridiculous and a tad ironic

Granted, this isn't really anything different from any other "debate" on here, but arch isn't making it up either.

yeah...it doesnt look so hot when you add it up like that. but uh, joel's quite polarizing sometimes, and uh...alright, fine, it does mildly reek of IFT. I mean, more than half of that was kinda about joel more than the subject, which sucks.

I'm not voting because I'm rigidly fence sitting on this one. It's not a great big ask, but it's still an ask of any sort that's gonna open a whole buncha doors for a regime that takes a very hard you rule yourselves stance.

and for the sake of clarity:

i just think this is all a little ridiculous and a tad ironic

ridiculous=how personally everyone is taking this

ironic=how people are calling ad hominem and then turning around and calling others morons and idiots

ridiculous=how personally everyone is taking this

Yep, I thought that too.

About the ad hominem: (and dont you take this like a personal insult or something Arch. Im just making an observation) For what I've seen, this is the way you discuss with many people here. I could be wrong.

idiculous=how personally everyone is taking this

ironic=how people are calling ad hominem and then turning around and calling others morons and idiots

yea, if you ignore everything that's been said.

after a few days of taking it, it's called 'retaliation'.

About the ad hominem: (and dont you take this like a personal insult or something Arch. Im just making an observation) For what I've seen, this is the way you discuss with many people here. I could be wrong.

and if you notice the observation I made earlier, I specifically said that i expect that in politics, religion and FC...NOT in the Suggestion Box.

I took it all for a few days and didn't make an attack back. SiBob posted the proof of it. Pointing to past aggressions in different threads to justify bad behavior in this one is dishonest.

Oh baloney. Arch has, on at LEAST two occasions, complained about ad hominem attacks in the same sentence as throwing a personal insult at me, cast straight from the mold of Weekend Update's old Point/Counterpoint (Reply: "Jane, you ignorant slut"). You've also compared long signatures to shouting fire in a crowed theater and to anal rape, and compared our collective disagreement to apartheid. Then you claim that THIS issue has made you jaded. Honestly, there's mountains out of molehills, but this might warrant more grandiose hyperbole, like making blackholes out of blackheads.

Oh baloney. Arch has, on at LEAST two occasions, complained about ad hominem attacks in the same sentence as throwing a personal insult at me,

haven't called you anything you haven't said about yourself, Jax. That's not ad hominum: I used your own words to describe what you were doing.

You've also compared long signatures to shouting fire in a crowed theater and to anal rape

the last one figuratively, the former I did not, but invoked it as an example of limitations to Free Speech.

You're taking things out of context.

and compared our collective disagreement to apartheid.

Oh, how so? I want to see exactly where I said it was apartheid. Failing in that, i want an apology from you for over-exagerating and misrepresenting my views.

That, or show everyone your dishonesty in this debate. Your choice.

Oh, how so? I want to see exactly where I said it was apartheid. Failing in that, i want an apology from you for over-exagerating and misrepresenting my views.

Here:

the fact that we're basically being treated like irrelevant second rate citizens.

The fact is, using 'fire in a crowded theater' as an extreme example that you then used to argue a non-extreme completely unparallel example. It's dishonest to evoke it for cases that don't cause immediate physical harm to people, and your shameless evocation of it is what's angered me more than anything else.

And you have not used my own words against me, you've used your words. You've called me a drama queen, a prick, among other things. I don't give a shit, but don't say you haven't gone ad hominem.

Here:

nope. Don't see 'apartheid' mentioned anywhere.

Nice try, though.

The fact is, using 'fire in a crowded theater' as an extreme example that you then used to argue a non-extreme completely unparallel example. It's dishonest to evoke it for cases that don't cause immediate physical harm to people, and your shameless evocation of it is what's angered me more than anything else.

It's dishonest if I use them to draw parallels to like comparisons, which I didn't do. I used it to give the most well known example of a limit to free speech, NOT as analagous to what I was saying.

again, nice try.

And you have not used my own words against me, you've used your words. You've called me a drama queen, a prick, among other things. I don't give a shit, but don't say you haven't gone ad hominem.

once you trivialized and attempted to derail the debate, i pointed out you were acting like a drama queen.

every other thing I've said is your own words against you. You've said 'If I want to be a prick, it's my right'. If you call yourself a prick in the context, then it's open for use and doesn't fall under ad hominum.

In spanish: no te pongas nombretes que se te pegan.

And now the thread really has become Arch vs. Jax.

This thing isn't about the two of you. There are 13 other yes votes that aren't arch that you haven't even acknowledged, Jax. So for the rest of us who can't stand having to scroll through it all or for those of us with slower connections who have to wait for the thing to load every time, why won't you show a little courtesy?

Archived