Hondo's Bar

CTRL+ALT+DEL

archangel

CTRL+ALT+DEL  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* I swear, Buckley's comics are like twice as funny if you cut off the last 2 panels.

yeah i really don't like ctrl+alt+del

like this one boogie posted recently

20070228.jpg

Black hair:

Man, Ethan is right. I am missing out.

Everyone around me has found someone to be happy with.

you know what, screw it.

I'm going to get back in the dating scene if it kills me.

Brown hair:

Or your date does!

Ba-dum-pish

:love:

i'm sorry what?

is that supposed to be a joke?

Edited by alive she cried

yeah i really don't like ctrl+alt+del

like this one boogie posted recently

20070228.jpg

Black hair:

Man, Ethan is right. I am missing out.

Everyone around me has found someone to be happy with.

you know what, screw it.

I'm going to get back in the dating scene if it kills me.

Brown hair:

Or your date does!

Ba-dum-pish

:love:

i'm sorry what?

is that supposed to be a joke?

Well it's tied into past storylines because he's dated a raving lunatic and a chic who was trying to kill him. It's "cool" to mock Ctrl-Alt-Del that goes right up there with jokes revolving around Jesus and the "OMG BOOBS!" jokes in webcomics. He's actually a good artist and a good writer he just tends to phone it in on occasion and by putting himself in the parameter of 4 panels he sometimes has to stretch jokes further than they should go.

I see legitimate gripes but most of the ones people make don't hold much water.

Yeah, they do occasionally reward the loyal fans by having joke refer to older story lines. I actually think thats the reason Futurama failed to get great ratings, because every season it would be more and more confusing for peopel to jump right in as more and more depended of following the show. But I digress.

I also like Ctrl+Alt+Del, but the whole four-panel format is NO EXCUSE for anything. He runs his own webcomic on his own site. His only limitations are those of having 2 dimensions. He could have as many panels as he wants. He could have you click on something to go to the next panel, so you couldn't see it until you finished reading the previous panels. He could animate a panel. He could record sound. Unlike the limitations of print and format restrictions imposed by newspapers, Buckley has all the artistic freedom in the world.

But...yeah...uh, Iron Man...looks good, am I right guys?

i honestly dont care if its as trendy as bashing the catholic church these days; buckley ranges from ok to criminally unfunny. im not saying its family circus, im saying it could stand some brevity.

i just dont get the raving cult, while there's things like PA, PvP, VG cats and the like still out there, being funny.

i honestly dont care if its as trendy as bashing the catholic church these days; buckley ranges from ok to criminally unfunny. im not saying its family circus, im saying it could stand some brevity.

i just dont get the raving cult, while there's things like PA, PvP, VG cats and the like still out there, being funny.

I just don't see why everyone's ragging on Buckley when there are far worse comics out there that mock his work (Hockey Zombie)

buckley ranges from ok to criminally unfunny. im not saying its family circus, im saying it could stand some brevity.

Come on, you can't say something like that and then point to Penny Arcade as one of your positive examples. Half of the PA strips are just angry rants about random video game industry news that many people don't know about/don't give a shit about.

That and the occasional "huh?" comic:

20080418.jpg

Or maybe I'm just not getting it, I dunno.

that's the thing, though: PA is about games and topics revolving around that, most of the time. if you dont know the material, dont follow the industry or read the homepage, youre out of the loop. i get esoteric strips.

sure, that one was "huh"? but its consistently way funnier than most, especially when its being topical about gaming. for instance, if you followed the media debacle with mass effect? this shit was spot-on, and concise, two things i dont get from CTL.

20080115.jpg

or, on EA:

20071205.jpg

the lastest one takes the obvious shot on mario kart without saying a word. it was funny.

CAD goes all over pop culture and uses more paragraphs than 80's marvel books did with Cleremont at the helm. yeah, ill go with single-topic, to-the-point strips with a few off moments once in a blue moon over a strip that i laugh at one per every 10 or so read.

and baytor, not everyone's ragging, but yeah, i am, cause its overpraised for being not funny. and im not even familiar with the one you referenced.

done, and done. i just caught your bit about how that last strip woudla been funny if they cut the last 2 panels, and youre prolly right.

its just formulaic, over-written and sparsely funny. i dont feel you can say that about PA, VG or PvP from my examples, and i'm apparently of the minority here (we know boogie & arch love the strip), so someone tell me where im missing out, seriously.

done, and done. i just caught your bit about how that last strip woudla been funny if they cut the last 2 panels, and youre prolly right.

its just formulaic, over-written and sparsely funny. i dont feel you can say that about PA, VG or PvP from my examples, and i'm apparently of the minority here (we know boogie & arch love the strip), so someone tell me where im missing out, seriously.

Often times Buckley hits the mark, yes there are some very terrible ones, but many so long as you cut out the superfluos dialog it is a good joke. He just tends to reach the punchline and keep talking. But take for instance his recent "choose your own" adventure style comic, it was good, it was creative and until he wussed out and made a second "happier" ending he had it. He's got good art (and don't give me the copy/paste argument, Dinosaur comics has been the same six fucking panels for like 4 years now and when you're drawing someone standing in the same position then what's the point of drawing a new panel when it invariably won't look as good as the one you just drew?), he IS funny even if he does tend to miss the mark by either small or wide margins, and he's creative: he's created a unique cast of characters that, archetypes thought they may be, are still interesting in their own ways the problem is he's trying to combine the idea of a one-off comic with little to no continuity (in this case a gaming comic) like Penny Arcade with a character driven storyline that has continuity (like Questionable Content) the problem is the two clash. Case in point: Hockey Zombie (which makes fun of Ctrl-Alt-Del every once in a while)

The only thing holding Tim Buckley is the parameters he's set for himself.

oh, im not arguing the art angle, myself; i adore quartz that you're referencing there and political one Get Your War On is just as guilty, and i love it even more for it.

ok, well uh, link to some of what youd consider buckley's strips, then. because much of what ive read has come from arch's posts and other various spots and left me horribly unimpressed. it might also be im told he's a bit of a douche towards critics as well.

What can I say here, that hasnt been said yet? Not much. Its true that sometimes Buckley can be very boring (I really dont like the Chef Brian's ones), but you have to admit that he is pretty funny when he wants to. And yeah, Im trying to be the most objective that i can, cause recently I spent 3 days reading all the comics from the first one to the last. Some stuff that Ethan (the main character) does made me laugh so hard that I started to cry. An i think that the thing with CAD. Ethan is so stupid that (and maybe its just me) its just funny. In a lot of ways Ethan remembers me of 2T. And i know that i dont know him personally (probably never will) but, from what I heard he's quite a character.

I think the only think left its to put some strips that i think are pretty funny.

Lucas at his new job

Flashstick Bang

Splinters and all

Damned terrorists

Edited by Boogie

It's better if you read the whole thing, not just bits and pieces. As I said there is a "story" being weaved beneath all of this.

oh, come on. a "story" like Night Court had. its the equivalent of a sitcom! there's dangling plotlines for when pop culture references are scarce. i know ethan knocked his chick up, but seriously? PvP does that stuff once in a blue moon too, but you woudlnt tell someone reading a given strip they dont catch the iron man bit cause they didnt read the other 100+ such showings of the lovable-moron character.

i dunno man; MegaTokyo? that's trying to tell a story.

but to use what boogie posted? i think the last one (bomberman) was the best. that's possibly my problem; ive seen buckley's cast done elsewhere and better. my favorite strips of his dont feature them.

oh, come on. a "story" like Night Court had. its the equivalent of a sitcom! there's dangling plotlines for when pop culture references are scarce. i know ethan knocked his chick up, but seriously? PvP does that stuff once in a blue moon too, but you woudlnt tell someone reading a given strip they dont catch the iron man bit cause they didnt read the other 100+ such showings of the lovable-moron character.

i dunno man; MegaTokyo? that's trying to tell a story.

but to use what boogie posted? i think the last one (bomberman) was the best. that's possibly my problem; ive seen buckley's cast done elsewhere and better. my favorite strips of his dont feature them.

What Arch said, there's been a storyline going on for the last 3 or 4 years and its ongoing he just pops in semi-regularly and tosses in a few gaming jokes cause he decided to make it a gaming comic and he's not making "enough" pop culture references.