Hondo's Bar

Captain America

The NZA

• 7 months later...

Ummm

Anthony and Joe Russo are set to direct the sequel to last year's Captain America: The First Avenger, Variety reports.

The sibling pair are known for feature films like Welcome to Collinwood and You, Me and Dupree as well as television series like "Arrested Development," "Community" and "Happy Endings" (the latter two of which they also executive produce). They're also attached to Ciudad, based on their own graphic novel and set to star Dwayne Johnson.

The second installment will pick-up where Marvel's The Avengers leaves off, as Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) continues his affiliation with Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D and struggles to embrace his role in the modern world.

Still untitled, the Captain America sequel is set to hit theaters on April 4, 2014.

wut

• Confused 1

I think that the years have been kind to it. I remember leaving the movie theather in shock at the torrent of sloppy green Hulk cum that had been shot all over me after being so excited for it. I caught it a few years later on TV and while yes it had it's problems it wasn't all bad. I'll see if I think the same abour Green Lantern down the line.

Edited by Testes McManballs

I think that the years have been kind to it. I remember leaving the movie theather in shock at the torrent of sloppy green Hulk cum that had been shot all over me after being so excited for it. I caught it a few years later on TV and while yes it had it's problems it wasn't all bad. I'll see if I think the same abour Green Lantern down the line.

Hulk's biggest problem was that it was a "classic" comic book movie (thankfully the last) which is to say that it involved an auteur taking a classic character with a large fanbase and then going "I shall change this thing so that it is more accessible to adults" not realizing that a very large number of adults preferred it the way it was. Then making a series of broad over-artsy choices to make it more "real" for movie-going audiences. Tim Burton was the most egregious example of this horseshit but you can see it from everything from Howard the Duck to Dick Tracy, everybody wanted to put their stamp on an existing property by making it nothing like what it was. The only example of this working was the Blade series which was based on something far too silly to work as a straight-faced movie. Arguably the 1980s Punisher movie was the only movie until X-Men that was actually true to its source material

I'm surprised they've decided to release it in early April. I know it didn't make as much money as Thor (like $80M less), but Thor was the first movie of the summer, which is arguably the best release date of the year, and Cap was release like 3 weeks after 4th of July weekend, when the summer movie season is beginning to slump. To me, picking this release date shows that they don't have much confidence in that property. Thor and Cap made almost the same amount of money domestically, that $80M gap was almost all overseas, which makes sense, but Cap was in The Avengers, which is now the 3rd highest grossing movie off all time worldwide. Overseas audiences are gonna give a post-Avengers movie a chance even if they didn't show up for the pre-Avengers cap movie.

I get Iron Man being front and center, both his movies made way more money than any of the other Marvel Studios solo movies, but like I said, Cap made almost as much as Thor in the US (within $5M of each other I think), and it had a much shittier release date than Thor did (there is no comparing first weekend in May to end of July). Cap way underperformed Thor internationally, as anyone could have predicted, but I think The Avengers being the highest grossing movie of all time not directed by James Cameron is a game changer for Cap with international audiences. People who might have been wholly disinclined from watching a movie called Captain America might have taken a liking to him after Avengers. I'm not saying they should give priority over Thor and Iron Man, I've just saying giving him a early April release date surprises me, and shows me they have WAY less confidence in that property that I think they rightfully should.

Edited by Reverend Jax

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

...so, finally revisit this one (first time since in theaters!), and i think i got caught up in space cowboy's knock on montages, cause there was more action there than i recall.  mind you, there's still a huge gap between this & winter soldier (possibly still my favorite marvel flick), but this was so much fun - even if i did manage to miss the human torch cameo this time 

also i can say totally unbiased that having rewatched all 3 in the last year or so, the cap trilogy > nolan's bat trilogy, though both are great.  but yeah, totally unbiased. 

• Upvote 1
  • Really? 1

6 hours ago, The NZA said:

also i can say totally unbiased that having rewatched all 3 in the last year or so, the cap trilogy > nolan's bat trilogy, though both are great.  but yeah, totally unbiased. 

You are out of your damn mind. 

• Upvote 1