Hondo's Bar

Man Of Steel - Zack Snyder done directed hisself a new Superman flick

Panch

So maybe Synder isn't someone we'll look to to create new original stories, but directing other people good scripts might still be something he's good at.

This was my big concern when I heard he was to helm supes. 300, great. Watchmen, great. But both were panel for panel adaptations of great books. I wasn't sure how Synder would handle a new or original story that didn't have a very visual source. And Suckerpunch did nothing to assuage my concerns.

This was my big concern when I heard he was to helm supes. 300, great. Watchmen, great. But both were panel for panel adaptations of great books. I wasn't sure how Synder would handle a new or original story that didn't have a very visual source. And Suckerpunch did nothing to assuage my concerns.

Well there is Dawn of the Dead to consider, that was an adaptation of sorts and he did that pretty well.

You really think so? Kids movie ≠ bad movie. Not necessarily anyway. Far too often they just hand out bowls of shit to children and assume they haven't eaten enough soup to know any better. Was it a good kids movie? Or was it a bowl of shit?

The people in this thread are talking about the flying alien fella in the garish primary colored spandex. I doubt we're going to be too harsh on something that isn't Anna Karenina.

Did anyone see Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole? Not this guy. Are we gonna treat that movie like intrafamily molestation and just not talk about it?

I saw it and it was cool.

I believe that Sucker Punch was Snyder's attempt to silence the critics. They've been harsh on him since Watchmen, saying that he can't make an original film. While I don't think that, y'all might disagree after Sucker Punch. It's kinda true, though. All his movies have previous source material to pool from. Dawn of the Dead. 300. Watchmen. Even the owl movie! I think he got sick of the criticism and tried to give the world something original. While I think he did give us something original, I do agree with you guys that it had the potential to be something great, but missed its opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

If you saw S1 of Boardwalk Empire then you know this guy can play a villain. Now, son of Jor-el, kneel before (the new) Zod!

shannon_588x329.jpg

Character actor Michael Shannon to play General Zod

By Daniel Frankel

TheWrap

BURBANK, CA, April 10, 2011 Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today that Michael Shannon will star in the role of General Zod in director Zack Snyder's new Superman film, titled, "Man of Steel."

Snyder stated, "Zod is not only one of Superman's most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don't. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role."

you know...supes' villains aren't that great in the books either (braniac, mr. myztplicky or whatever, darkseid, bizarro...ok the last 2 i could see in a film), but i was gonna bitch anyway about the recycling of movie villains.

then i thought about it: meteor man, richard pryor, lex luthor (AGAIN), parenthood...fuck it, bring back Zod.

• 4 months later...

+1 to ditching underoos; it's like decades late at this point.

even so...something's off, and im blaming the GINOURMOUS S on his chest. its like people complained that the last awful supes film had it too small, so they asked Ed Mcguiness would do.

• 1 month later...

I love Crowe. I even look the other way on this shit. But a lot of his efforts fucking bomb. His IMDB page(which I didn't need to consult because I'm in love with the man) is a long sad laundry list of flops with the obvious standouts(and Virtuosity for my money).

Back on track though, I'm just looking over and commenting on the clear faults showing in this project because, if I point out enough I'll be right about something when it flops.

• 9 months later...

Found this quote in this article.

In the past, Superman was "this big blue boy scout on a throne that nobody could touch him. But we tried to make him so he could beat the shit out of people."

If there was one thing that makes me the least bit interested in this movie, it is this line.

Yeah those trailer descriptions have been floating around with other movies. New Godzilla sounds pretty cool, especially since the dude that directed Monsters is on that one.