Hondo's Bar

Iron Man 3

That's right, Shane Lethal Weapon-The Monster Squad-The Last Boyscout-The Last Action Hero-Kiss Kiss Bang Bang Black is in final negotiations to direct Iron Man 3. :ohface: He also apparently looks like Kevin Pollack with hair.

This is the best possible thing that could happen since Favreau went off to hump Disney's leg. I look forward to this so hard.

Edited by Reverend Jax
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, it's very possible that Black can get studio cockblocked (as his been the case on so many of his scripts) but I know he can spin straw into solid gold with Downey. Jesus I kinda hope he recasts Happy Hogan as Val Kilmer now.

im down for this.

i guess i see JZA's point (i love explosions but i guess that's not entirely the gist of Iron Man), still, in a world where Ratner can pinch-hit for Singer, this is a pretty solid looking replacement.

obligatory it could've been worse; they could've followed sam raimi with sam raimi

Okay, for the record all the movies I posted on that resume were WRITTEN by Black and translated to film by other directors. Black has gone on to say that most of his scripts don't really look like they did when he wrote them, but if you look at any of those movies you see the same great dialogue splashed in with a lot of bad shit you know the studio put in. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was Black unfiltered and it was incredible.

Yeah the only movie on that resume that I don't shit on from a great height(not a fan of 'splosions) was Kiss Kiss Bang bang, which was fucking awesome but nothing even close to what makes an Iron Man movie.

For the record, John Favreau directed Elf and Zathura before making Iron Man. He also wrote Couples Retreat.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, Extremis is a rich stroy to pull from. Movie Stark is already a man that struggles w/ defining himself and seeks to prove himself as worthy. Nanobots swimming through his blood (That is how the extremis works, right? Nano-tech?) could definitely be in-line w/ his character. Plus the "What really makes us human?" question that arises when Stark stops wearing the machine and actually becomes part of the armor could make for some great pathos on screen. This storyline and Ben Kingsley being cast bode well for IM3.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
KING OF THE NORTH!

Right, nanobots. Extremis was basically a bio weapon with results not entirely unlike a symbiote (with...uh...super breath), when it's host lived through the bonding process. The Extremis arc boiled down to a pretty typical "fight fire with fire" superhero story, with Stark incorporating it and using it to drastically improve his armor/response times. it's pretty well written though.

The whole motion comic is on Netflix, and you don't really miss anything. Probably worth an hour of time for someone interested that didn't have/want read the books.

Read the book a while back when the first IM movie came out. Good stuff, I agree. But I probably wasn't really clear in what I meant w/ my last post. Even if they don't follow the actual plot of the Extremis comic in the film, the concept of the Extremis armor itself offers so many great story possibilities that it's got me really interested to see what will happen w/ this film, which I wasn't so keen on after I heard about no Favs in the director's seat.

• 1 month later...

Ben Kingsley actually IS playing the Mandarin.

The folks at Latino Review have got an interesting lead on what is happening on the Iron Man 3 set and apparently not everyone is as tight lipped as the heads of Marvel Studios.

A crew member let it slip that, as predicted, Sir Ben Kingsley is indeed playing The Mandarin in the film but he will NOT be the primary antagonist. Guy Pearce's Aldrich Killian will be the main focus of evii in the film with The Mandarin being more to the side of it all. Perhaps waiting for his time to take the spotlight in Iron Man 4?

Iron Man 3 is currently filming in North Carolina, starring Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Ben Kingsley, Guy Pearce, James Badge Dale, Ashley Hamilton and Jon Favreau. The film is scheduled to hit theaters on May 3, 2013.

Weird I was just watching Extremis on Netflix today. Damn good story. Of course it's Ellis, the man could wipe his arse and there'd be a great story on the toilet paper.

I was hoping for a change like this. Shane Black seems to have some solid action credentials but also this old school vibe that would hopefully move away from all this no-scene-without-a-moment-of-levity crap that seems to plague movies these days. I kinda thought Favreau was having just a little too much fun in IM2. It's time for a bit of Dark Stark.

Though it's entirely possible that's an elaborate photoshop.

Not a chance.

More IRON MAN 3 Set Photos With Iron Patriot Armor

Offering an idea what the scene deals with, more photos from the Wilmington set of Iron Man 3 have surfaced with James Badge Dale donning the Iron Patriot armor, along with uniformed extras.

DCMarvelFreshman - 5/30/2012

ironman3123.png

Following the reports and unexpected sightings of the Iron Patriot armor on the Wilmington set of Iron Man 3, WTDD have revealed additional photos from the shoot. Offering more views of the battlesuit, reportedly donned by actor James Badge Dale (Eric Savin), in addition to uniformed "Serviceman" extras, check them out!

ffnironman39135142galle.jpg

ffnironman39135148galle.jpg

ffnironman39135156galle.jpg

ironman3villianironpatr.jpg