Hondo's Bar

Favorite Meat

Reverend Jax

What's your favorite kind fo meat?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 out of 20 votes so far for beef. If I was a cow reading this, I'd be feeling real panicky about now and thinking abou-

------------------------------

This post has been comandeered for an important message:

cowsl4.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a foodie i'm surprised you don't know

Kobe Beef, a type of beef that is well marbled, is a legendary delicacy of Japan. Until recently, the flavor and tenderness of Kobe beef could only be experienced by those traveling to to the meat producing regions of Japan. Kobe Beef originated in the prefecture of Kobe in Japan. Kobe Beef has world wide recognition as being the best of the best. In all reality, the product is genetic in origin. The rugged Japanese geography allowed for isolated cattle herds each using different breeding and feeding techniques. This isolation and selectively breeding for marbling grade of Wagyu cattle allowed for breeding of the most flavorful and tender beef in the world.

Wagyu is the Japanese breed of cattle used to produce Kobe Beef, Matzukya Beef, Hokkido Beef and other famous beef producing prefectures in Japan. Wagyu is a breed of cattle, like the Hereford, Holstein and Angus. (For more about cattle breeds, see the OSU website on breeds of livestock.) The word Wagyu refers to all Japanese beef cattle. "Wa" means Japanese and "gyu" means cattle. This breed is genetically predisposed to intense marbling, and produces a higher percentage of unsaturated fat (better for your cholestorol) than any other breed of cattle known in the world. In order to earn the designation of "Kobe Beef", the Wagyu beef must come from Kobe, Japan, and meet strict production standards imposed in that county (or prefecture).

The lucky cows are feed beer, and given massages apparently.

Kobe beef (神戸ビーフ, Kōbe Bīfu?) refers to beef from the black Tajima-ushi breed of Wagyu cattle, raised according to strict tradition in Hyogo Prefecture, Japan. Kobe is the capital of Hyogo Prefecture. Kobe beef is also called "Kobe-niku" (神戸肉, lit. Kobe meat?) in Japanese. Kobe beef is commonly called "Kobe cow" (神戸牛, Kobe-gyū ?), but this name is not correct[citation needed]. Wagyu ("Japanese Cattle") are renowned for flavour, tenderness, and fatty well-marbled texture, qualities enhanced by the traditional (and well guarded) methods of raising Kobe beef.

Kobe beef can be prepared as steak, sukiyaki, shabu shabu, sashimi, teppanyaki, and more.

:D Edited by Lycaon

• 4 years later...

Oh 2006 Jay, so naive with your hammer pants and Bon Jovi cassettes! These days it's all Lamb for me. Lamb Curry, lamb chops/cutlets, lamb steaks, lamb stew... So tender, and delicious.

Logans- how thick is venison cut and do you have a ritual involving spices and whatnot? I don't think I've ever tried it myself.

OryxSteak3.JPG

The breading for this one doesn't look familiar, but the meat looks excellent.

exps41468_TH1421355D47D.jpg

Most of the time when I have it, we just cut out some random chunks and cook it like chicken fried steak. It's a lean red meat, tastes kind of like beef, only...richer? I don't even know if that's the right word. It has a very distinct flavor, I guess liver would be a good parallel, but it's much more subtle and less gross, and tastes nothing like liver :2T: .

Looks a lot like this.

fried+venison.JPG

:drool:

So do you infact hunt and eat your own or go to the butcher like some kind of fancy-boy? :2T:

Because if they're vermin in Tx we could totally take a hunting sidetrip and take bets on who doesn't make it back. The best part would be the knowing looks we give people as we serve them 'venison' with a Scarlet Spider insignia tattooed into whatever cut.

I have never, in my life, bought venison. I'm not even sure where you'd buy it, but I bet we could go to the hippy supermarket and get some expensive farm raised deer.

I haven't been hunting since I was being "made a man" in middle school, but I'm never very far away from people that do and are more than willing to share. The only gun I own is a .22 (at my grand parents house, so I use the term "own" a little loosely), which may not do the trick, but I'm fine with making a little jaunt down to Wal-Mart and picking up a proper rifle, if you really want the experience.

If we just wanna bag a deer to eat though, it's gonna take like 10 minutes. We should make it fun and get compound bows, then you feel all cool and shit and we can stretch it into a full night of male bonding.

If I there is a type of meat I specifically want it's going to be one I don't have to or can't prepare by myself.

I love Curry Goat (yellow curry)...with rice and peas and hard dough bread...jesus I need to live in Jamaica.

Next would be pork...but like Cuban we bury the whole pig in the ground and cook it then take it apart in the backyard...so damn delicious.

Last would be most shellfish and ahi tuna that is involved in sushi making. Y-U-M!

Well how accessible/cheap are compound bows over there? I mean Michael Moore would have me believe that making a POW POW gesture to any retailer will either net me a rifle or a stretch in Guantanomo depending on the colour of my skin and/or religious beliefs. I don't wanna hijack the con for some nefarious purpose but given AU's ridiculous gun laws there's only a very seedy subculture of hunting here, and it's pigs and it's with the kind of company they make TV movies about when the police discover their collection of backpacks and European passports. I'd be interested in trying hunting and morally, if we're eating the kill I don't have any problems with it.

I'm not big on hunting, morally, either. But deer are like rats and yeah, we will be eating it (not that it really makes a difference, since we don't really need it, but whatever helps us sleep at night).

You've gotta be 18 to buy bows and rifles...that's about it. You can just walk into a sporting good store and walk out with one. Academy has some decent compounds for less than $200, some bad motherfuckers if you wanna pay more than that. I've been looking for an excuse to buy one, since they're fun as hell.