Hondo's Bar

Final Fantasy VII Remake

BaKa_nO_kUrO_nEkO

• 1 year later...

it is, but it was funnier, cause we had internets by VII - there were picture-by-picture "guides" of something you had to do in the slums of midgar early on, then a few steps to get some "underwater breathing" materia or some shit, in this one approach, and i wanna say you had to beat one of the weapons in a certain amount of time, and...shit was crazy detailed. all of that to, you know, completely change the game and unlock the other CG ending square would've spent thousands and thousands to elaborately hide on the disc.

it is, but it was funnier, cause we had internets by VII - there were picture-by-picture "guides" of something you had to do in the slums of midgar early on, then a few steps to get some "underwater breathing" materia or some shit, in this one approach, and i wanna say you had to beat one of the weapons in a certain amount of time, and...shit was crazy detailed. all of that to, you know, completely change the game and unlock the other CG ending square would've spent thousands and thousands to elaborately hide on the disc.

To be fair, Square were the ultimate dicks when they gave you Aeris' ultimate weapon and limit break as if to say "No way dude, this is totally temporary she'll be back."

heh. i only recall her having fewer weapon options/materia slots and fearing for her safety, but it didnt give it away, fortunately.

that said, Final Fantasy VII is out on PSN today, so PS3 users, go nuts! ill gladly mooch a copy off anyone so inclined. ^_^

heh. i only recall her having fewer weapon options/materia slots and fearing for her safety, but it didnt give it away, fortunately.

that said, Final Fantasy VII is out on PSN today, so PS3 users, go nuts! ill gladly mooch a copy off anyone so inclined. ^_^

DONE!!!!!

I don't know, I've got Final Fantasy 4 for DS and the graphics are all in 3D now but with it the sense of whimsy and effort seems to have all but disappeared. The sprites just feel more blocky and impersonal, I wish they would have just remade it with the Final Fantasy 6 technology instead of making the jump to polygons. It's the same with Final Fantasy 7, there's something special in those horribly blocky graphics that a PS3 update would just take away.

ive heard that about FF IV for some people, that they thought the new version lost heart or something. still, VII's awkward blocks were not the same as the SNES sprites, i think theyd stand to look far better with good rendering - just look at Advent Children.

But that's just it, by the end of the glorified tutorial mission you'd gotten used to the awkward blocks and they really didn't bother you anymore. It would feel too much like 8, which felt kinda boring due to their black/brown/occassionally blue and yellow color scheme and overly realistic graphics I just didn't really care that much, admittedly by 10 they'd figured out that that was dull and impersonnal and added a real dose of color and took away all the buring industrial backgrounds but having seen Advent Children I can honestly say a game with those graphics would feel dull.

i dunno man, id love to see it. and i agree that the weird blocks (wasnt clouds arm like a trapezoid or something?) worked at the time, but its not a style i think ages well: case in point, we'd likely agree the sprites of FF VI feel more timeless than the awkward blocks of VII, at least in character art anyway.

i agree that VIII looked like ass for trying harder (no game offers a funnier CG vs in game image), and i too dug it when they got it right/more colorful by IX. i just think VII's characters (not CG or backdrops) would look even more chibi and awkward than sprites would on a widescreen HD set. soulless, but sharp and detailed (face animations, even) rendered characters would fit better...but then, its not like ive got much to go on past this.

..and again, that was years ago, i believe itd be a lot sharper/less stuck in the uncanny valley today. the good thing is, the more time passes before this inevitable remake, the greater the chance of its improving.

• 9 months later...

Well right after ff13 came out they were like no, it would take to long and cost too muc, then it was maybe but proabbly not, then it was if the fans really really want it. I think they will, but it might push ff15 back... I'm still waiting for ff5 and 6 to get the 4 treatment.

You know it might make sense to redo it on psp2 or 3ds instead of a full blown ps3/360 remake....

Do we really "NEED" remakes at this point? I LOVE Final Fantasy 6 just like I do 4 (I play a Dragoon in FFXI because of it) but it's really starting to get old. I have yet to play through 4 on the DS, even though I do plan to, but I find myself wondering: How much is too much when it comes to final fantasy remakes. You can't go a week without square announcing a final fantasy remake, or new game of some kind.

My final thought on the final fantasy 7 issue: FF7 was made for it's time and it's engine; things that are funny and cute and whimsical in that game may not transfer over well to a fully realized modern version. At some point dressing Cloud up like a girl and getting him to act like hes gonna fuck a fat guy is gonna stop being cute and start being creepy and someone out there will have some memory of their fat hairy uncle touching them when they were little and end up suing SE and it will be a huge legal mess. In short, it's a bad idea.

[edit: http://bannable-offenses.blogspot.com/2009...ly-fantasy.html ]

Enjoy.

Edited by Bindusara

Do we really "NEED" remakes at this point? I LOVE Final Fantasy 6 just like I do 4 (I play a Dragoon in FFXI because of it) but it's really starting to get old. I have yet to play through 4 on the DS, even though I do plan to, but I find myself wondering: How much is too much when it comes to final fantasy remakes. You can't go a week without square announcing a final fantasy remake, or new game of some kind.

ff4 has really only had 1 remake(ff4 ds) the rest where just rerelease on different platforms(and that will end the day people stop buying them) so yeah I'd like a ds style remake of 5 and 6 if it came with the same kind of updates(extra story and gameplay stuff)

My final thought on the final fantasy 7 issue: FF7 was made for it's time and it's engine; things that are funny and cute and whimsical in that game may not transfer over well to a fully realized modern version. At some point dressing Cloud up like a girl and getting him to act like hes gonna fuck a fat guy is gonna stop being cute and start being creepy and someone out there will have some memory of their fat hairy uncle touching them when they were little and end up suing SE and it will be a huge legal mess. In short, it's a bad idea.

[edit: http://bannable-offenses.blogspot.com/2009...ly-fantasy.html ]

Enjoy.

That will never ever be old and will always be cute! and you have to be kidding about the legal stuff lol

as for ff7 remake, the fans want it, the fans will buy it, I think it can be done well but it's a fairly large undertaking and is like 3 or 4 years out I'd guess.

/agreed, FF V & VI 3D on DS would be desperate teams, not sure how inevitable they yet are as we've not heard a thing on them, theyve been ported several times as is though. did people dig the FF IV one? i did, but man i sure heard a lot of bitching about how it "lost its charm" etc.

id be more worried about plot bits & such elements in VII not aging well and ruining the rosy-tinted glasses a lotta fans look at it with, but ill be damned if even i wasnt excited at a chance to replay it and see what's new. that said, like most companies, square talks a lot of shit depending on who you're listening to, so at this point, id stop tracking the order of when things got said post FF XIII and just wait to hear the news -i do think its inevitable after the fan outpour they've had several times now when asking what's wanted from kids not bright enough to realize the proper answer is "Vagrant Story" or "Xenogears", heh.

never even thought of 3D DS though, holy shit that'd sell hot potatoes with tits on them.

still need to play vagrant story, sitting on the psp too. and I'll sooner become ceo of square before see a xenogears remake(oh how a long for a remake of the second half of the game.) Need to replay that too and maybe get a bigger memory stick finally.

going portable with ff7 makes some sense, much lower costs for one, if power is an issues make it for the 3ds or psp2 and it should still sell like gangbusters.

I don't know, when I first read about Final Fantasy Anthology I thought that meant that 5 and 6 got the 8 treatment and got realistic 3d graphics. One would think that Square would capitalize on 6 if nothing else but to strike while the iron is hot with the whole steampunk trend. It would be a beautiful game and it would benefit more from a full 3d world than 4 or 5 would. I hope they put a bit more work into it than they did with 4.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate FF7, I happily logged 99+ hours into that game but to sell me on a remake there's a few key elements that need to be addressed starting with the plot making some sense. Even SE has admitted that there's some huge holes in the story but most of us loved it so much we filled in the gaps ourselves. Score one for young imagination.

I do love Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve myself. (I've wanted the blood sin tatted on my back forever)

going portable with ff7 makes some sense, much lower costs for one, if power is an issues make it for the 3ds or psp2 and it should still sell like gangbusters.

It's possible but since right now you can just move your PS3 copy to your PSP they might not bother. Final verdict on this is that I bet you it WILL happen it's just a matter of when. SE loves money so it's only a matter of time really.

Edited by Bindusara