Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Dont worry JZA it was. I saw this in a theater with 3 other friends and they fucking loathed it too. I came out with a big ass smile on my face. Michael Parks is badass.

Edited by Axels

• 2 weeks later...

Not the last thing I watched, but one of the last horror movies I saw was called End of the Line. Pretty decent and low budget about a Christian doomsday cult wreaking havoc in a subway. It's got some schlocky acting, but it kinda works and has a really great ending.

Jupiter Ascending. Pretty to look at, but yeah, pretty damn bad.

Yup. I went in with low expectations and was still disappointed. :/

Ted 2. Not as good as the first one, but funny. Comic Con scene was great.

Jurassic Park scene I nearly peed my pants.

To me the NYCCC scene was what put it on par with the first one. Great comedy film.

They do move in herds.

• 2 weeks later...

Ted 2. Not as good as the first one, but funny. Comic Con scene was great.

Seeing Patrick Warburton as the Tick during the NYCC scene made the entire movie worth watching!

Just watched The Naked Gun on Netflix! Recently rewatched Airplane! for the millionth time and now I'm on a Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker kick.

Saw The Tribe last week. It's a Ukrainian movie about a kid who is sent to a boarding school for the deaf, joins a gang there and enters a life of crime. It's entirely in sign language and has no subtitles, so it's essentially shot and produced so that it functions as a silent movie. The "no subtitles" bit is kind of a gimmick (you wouldn't do that shit if it was just in a different spoken language) but it is expertly directed. There are incredible long takes with really well choreographed movement between the characters, actors, extras, etc. It looks incredible and some scenes are really jaw dropping. On a technical level the film is remarkable, and it also takes plenty of risks with it's characters likeability (or lack thereof) and your attention span that really pay off. Unfortunately, it doesn't really know where to go. For all of it's defiance of convention in certain ways, it goes down a pretty stock descent into ultraviolence and darkness that feels tacked on and intellectually lazy. It was clear by the end of the film that the filmmaker had very little to say. I would still recommend it based on how well directed it is and how powerful some scenes are, but just when you're watching it and mistaking it's slow pace and well-staged long takes for depth, know that you will be reminded quickly that still waters don't always run deep.

Edited by The NZA
  • Upvote 1