Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Yeah, props to Panch for that recommend.

Good luck on them trying to sustain that sense of bewilderment for an hour an a half. I think the effect works better bite-size - but full length could be cool - they could really take advantage of that VHS aesthetic. They could intersplice fake commercials in like in the original Robocop - like someone accidentally recorded over parts of the movie or the movie was recorded over an older tape. Yeah, full length could be great. Those guys did an amazing job, technically.

Bits of Gremlins, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, Silent Hill, The Mist, This is the End, Demonic Toys, Rare Exports, and Monster Squad. One of those movies that seems too amazing to actually exist, somebody needs to let the guy that made this do the Five Nights at Freddy's movie.

Edited by Iambaytor

Apparently the director helped write X2/Apocalypse and is also the director of Trick R' Treat. I'd watch FNAF if he was behind the camera on that one. I'd even love to see him helm Gremlins 3 if the rumors of it getting off the ground are true. Joe Dante ain't dead yet though so I hold out hope that maybe by some miracle he decides he wants to do it.

darkstarcontent.jpg

Just saw Dark Star. A doc about an artist, in the truest sense of the word. Fascinating look into 'a day in the life' of one of the most gifted and talented visionaries...ever.

soakedinbleach.jpg

Also saw Soaked in Bleach. I've seen 'Kurt and Courtney' when it first came out - back in the day ('98). This doc reenacts Kurt's last days through the eyes of the PI that Courtney hired to find Kurt. He documented his entire experience - audio recorded all conversations w/ Courtney and the actors are constantly dubbed by the actual recordings.

It was bone-chilling - if you ever had doubts about the possibility that Kurt's death was caused by foul play - this doc will shake you.

soakedinbleach.jpg

Also saw Soaked in Bleach. I've seen 'Kurt and Courtney' when it first came out - back in the day ('98). This doc reenacts Kurt's last days through the eyes of the PI that Courtney hired to find Kurt. He documented his entire experience - audio recorded all conversations w/ Courtney and the actors are constantly dubbed by the actual recordings.

It was bone-chilling - if you ever had doubts about the possibility that Kurt's death was caused by foul play - this doc will shake you.

that Giger one sounds interesting, wonder if space cowboy's seen it - also that Kurt one too, did you see Mountain of Heck? was curious about it

Naw, haven't seen it. Never even heard of it until just now! Just looked it up, it's Montage of Heck - I hope they put it on Netflix. .

Yeah, you gotta check out that Giger doc - you'll be '...jeez...my god...'-ing most of the time. They got a great Giger doc on the Alien bluray (Anthology boxset) this is a great follow up.

Soaked in Bleach isn't like that 'Kurt and Courtney' conspiracy theory-ridden doc from the 90s - it focuses on laying out the facts, separating fact from media myth / legend. It seriously shook me up - it was stranger than fiction.

• 4 weeks later...

31hgcl8.jpg

Ooof. I've never had a movie make me feel dumber for watching it, but this one was a doozy. It was entertaining I guess, but even I, who really fucking enjoyed something like Southland Tales, can't suspend my disbelief that far.

^Yeah, oofa for sure on that one. I let the trailer get my hopes up waaaaay to high on that one.

271345.jpg

My first film of 2016 was The Big Short. I highly recommend it--a film that manages to tell a great story and actually taught me something hugely important. Plus it has humor and lots of boobs. Well, less than Wolf of Wall Street, but way more than pretty much any other film about big banks and the corruption and ineptitude that led to the housing crisis in 2007.

• 2 weeks later...

Bone Tomahawk

The minute I heard "Kurt Russel western with cannibals" I was sold. I never read any more about the film before seeing it. Nor, to the best of my recollection, did I ever see a trailer for it. This movie's cast really stunned me with their performances. Seriously, if this film had better distribution and promotion Richard Jenkins would have a fistful of nominations for best supporting actor right now. Russel, Wilson, and Matthew Fox especially also did really great work. The script is superb, but the screenwriter also directed and he is an adequate director at best. (And a fucking abominable song writer. Even if that end credit song was meant to be ironic, it was still painfully awful.) However, that script and this cast in the hands of a Scorsese calibur director may have been one of the classic westerns of all time. As it stands though, it is an extremely entertaining film and really a must see for any fan of the genre or just great character driven film.

Ugh - docs about internet happenings scare me green. (shudders)

I just finished a doc I bumped into on Netflix - about the rise and fall of Cannon Films - 'Electric Boogaloo'. If you love 'schlock' - it's a fun journey through some great highlights. I found it to be inspiring / motivating - but it also serves as a cautionary tale.

22738889.jpg