Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

• 2 weeks later...

Wizard of Oz in IMAX 3D

It was the first time I've sat through the entire movie in ages and the first time ever seeing it in a theater. Not only was it a gorgeous looking print, but it was great experiencing it in a theater w/ my nephew and all the other kids seeing it for the first time--laughing at the Lion's songs, freaking out over the witch and flying monkeys. Definitely the best theater-going experience I've had in a while.

• 11 months later...

Apparently this is the first in a Canadian trilogy of his. The next one is called Yoga Hosers which is a spinoff of this one.

The film centers on 15-year-old yoga nuts Colleen Collette (Lily-Rose Depp) and Colleen McKenzie (Harley Quinn Smith), who have an after-school job at a Manitoba convenience store called Eh-2-Zed. When an ancient evil rises from beneath Canada’s crust and threatens their big invitation to a Grade 12 party, the Colleens join forces with a legendary man-hunter from Montreal named Guy Lapointe (Depp).

The Equalizer

Christ, but Antoine Fuqua is a mediocre, bordering on absolute shit, director. Could've been a solid revenge flick but he throws in these weird edits or cheesy shots that took me out of the film. Denzel is on par, but his fight scenes were edited for shit either due to his age limiting any real physical stunts, Fuqua's directing, or a combination of both.

But Training Day tho.

Denzel Washington is weird to me, because he is a fantastic actor, but I wish he released more stuff that interested me. I still need to see Flight though. I know everyone swears by that one.

I saw The Boxtrolls today. Not as good as Coraline or Paranorman, but entertaining nonetheless with some funny jokes and a good voice performance from Ben Kingsley.

ABC's of Death 2

Even more misses than the first movie. The standouts that I liked were A is for Amateur, D for Deloused, O for Ochlocracy (which needs to be its own movie) and Z is for Zygote which had some of the coolest gore effects I've ever seen. There are a couple other good ones, but with 26 of em most are stinkers.

After seeing Denzel in The Equalizer I cleared a fewer of his older films off my queue: American Gangster and 2 Guns. I feel like I could've easily skipped both and just watched Training Day again instead. :/

Saw Gone Girl in the theater and it was surprisingly good. Fincher is a master at creating mood. And it definitely had a memorable ending.

gG95QRM.jpg

Watched this last night. It was good! Not quite as good as VHS 2, but still alot better than the first movie. They kind of blow their load in the first story though and the others don't quite live up to it imo. But they are still quite good and interesting. Fun flick for sure.

FFEyAa8.jpg

And I saw this earlier today. Disappointing and not scary. It had a couple cool moments, but it was very cheap in its scares and story. I wasn't expecting a Chucky like movie, but by the end I was hoping something like that would happen.

330px-Crumb_Movie_Poster.jpg

Spiffytee told me to watch this one forever ago, couldn't help but think of Logans here as well - really great piece on a comic legend, but man are some parts rough to watch...the stuff with his brothers got harsher as it went on, until Lynch almost playfully drops the bomb on you over some ragtime music in the ending. I know jax (rightfully) adores American Splendor, gonna have to recommend this one as well sometime.

Saw "Horns" on Sat night. Was pretty cool. The pass or fail for me is "would you buy it on blu-ray, if priced right?" Yeah I would. I thought ol Danny Radcliffe did a good job and an Americano and that Juno Temple - man she can get nude anytime. Hot as a redhead, too slutty to play innocent though. Never would have made it as a MJ or a Gwen.

• 4 weeks later...