Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Really interesting doc on the 1996 version of The Island of Dr. Moreau. It goes into great length on the original director Richard Stanley and his vision which sounded pretty out there, but alot more interesting than what was made. Plus it talks about what huge dicks Val Kilmer and Marlon Brando were. It was all pretty fascinating. On Netflix!

Edited by Axels

• 2 weeks later...

So I watched all 5 of the original Planet of the Apes movies and I have to say I enjoyed them quite a bit. They only got more interesting with each installment. My favorite one was Escape from the Planet of the Apes oddly enough. They're all just so goddamn bleak. I was expecting some camp, and while it was there, shit gets dark very fast. I can call myself a fan now though. I dug them all.

• 4 weeks later...

re-animator-movie-poster-1985-1020200561.jpg

This had been on my list for a long time, it has a similar feel to Return Of The Living Dead although not quite as good. But I still really enjoyed it. Some excellent dark comedy in this, a few scenes really push the boundary of acceptable subject matter for humour. One in particular (everyone who has seen knows which I'm talking about) had me simultaneously chuckling and wincing in disgust, which is a great achievement in my book.

Great movie, and along with Return has turned me onto cult horror comedies. I actually enjoyed this so much I'm thinking of going back and reevaluating the Evil Dead trilogy, any other suggestions of where to go from here?

Edited by alive she cried

*cracks knuckles*

The sequel, Bride of Re-Animator, is kind of dull but has a killer last 30 minutes.

Return of the Living Dead 2, while not really funny is genuinely frightening.

Black Sheep - Killer Mutant Zombie Sheep/Weresheep, just trust me

Braindead / Dead-Alive - Peter Jackson's finest movie, you'll love this one

The Convent - Zombie demon nuns with neon blood, a shotgun toting Adrienne Barbeau riding a motorcycle, and Coolio as a cop!

Cemetery Man / Dellamorte Dellamore - Weird mindfuck zombie horror comedy artfilm thing. Probably the most competent Italian film I've ever seen, the ending makes no sense.

Detention - Fucking insane, I can't even summarize it, just watch

House - Weird haunted house movie, you might like this one not suer

House 2 - Much weirder haunted house movie. Features Cheer's John Ratzenberger as an electrician/adventurer swordfighting aztec priests. More of a comedy adventure, but fun.

Intruder - Probably my favorite slasher movie, gory and goofy but very well-made. Don't watch the trailer, it spoils it.

Night of the Creeps - Zombie/alien movie that's a throwback to 50s horror movies, kind of a prototype for Slither.

Slither - You've probably seen Slither, watch it again anyway.

Murder Party - Like a much darker version of The Breakfast Club, great movie, couldn't recommend it more.

Eight Legged Freaks - The movie that all those shitty Sci-Fi channel movies want to be.

Tremors - You've probably seen it, but if you haven't then do.

• Upvote 2

If I remember correctly, Panch hates Slither cause someone told him or he was expecting a zombie movie? Something like that.

ASC, got a couple of more horror - comedy flicks:

Tucker and Dale versus Evil - Alan Tudyuk plays one of the titular hillbillies. Subverts a ton of the "back - woods weirdos" horror tropes.

Bubba Ho-tep - Bruce Campbell as a geriatric Elvis and his friend, Black JFK fight the Mummy.

I'm not a big horror genre guy, but the trailer for The Green Inferno looked pretty good to me--a bunch of SJW getting cannibalized. So I cajoled the girlfriend into seeing The Green Inferno on Saturday. It was so terrible I had to agree to see The Intern with her on Sunday. DeNiro was great in the latter. Seriously. Anne Hathaway out of a catsuit was meh, but DeNiro crushed it. Also, this film had 2/3 of Workaholics. Sadly, no bear suit. :/

• 1 month later...

BNyxuva.jpg

Man this could have been awesome. It had some great special effects in it, but it just wasn't very good. It took a great idea and made it a by the numbers horror movie.

I hate when they have a great scene (lke the one shown in the poster) and they don't even deliver on it.

Very big missed opportunity.