Hondo's Bar

Ghostbusters (2016)

Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones do look pretty cool. That trailer was all over the place though.

I'm still hyped about the casting. I think they're four of the best comedic actresses out there!! Kate is my shit. I adore her, but from what little we got here (the goggles, the Pringles, etc.) she seems like a caricature more than a character. I hope there's more to her than just funny outfits and facial expressions.

I'm gonna be honest, other than some weak jokes I'm feeling pretty good about this. McKinnon and Jones look to be the breakouts here (I have a feeling Leslie Jones' character is going to be the de facto protagonist and probably the most interesting character.) This looks easily better than Ghostbusters 2, we'll see where it could go from there.

Much, much, much better trailer. I think the humor in that first trailer is just...not my cup of tea. This felt...cohesive.

LOL - they removed the insinuation of a continuation at the beginning and reduced it to (airquotes) a "nod to the original". LOL - they also changed it from 'four scientists' to 'four friends'. Winston wasn't a scientist! Out-of-the-gate Fail!

Also, the theme remix in these trailers are pretty cool.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An FX Extravaganza.

Don't like that firehouse in the beginning! As spoiler-heavy these trailers are, I wouldn't be surprised if they get the firehouse at the end of the flick. Looks like this movie is going to be absolutely filled w/ nods to the original...which hightens the 'lack of GB3' sting, for me.

Only reason I'd see this in the theater, would be for the 3D FX...the FX look pretty damn good, I imagine pretty cool in 3D. (Kinda how Ant-Man's FX should be seen in the theater in 3D) GB is in the 'maybe' pile.

• 2 weeks later...

Ghostbusters (2016): Fall Out Boy & Missy Elliott covering original theme song

From the very first mention that Ghostbusters 3 would not be happening and would instead be replaced by a women-led Ghostbusters reboot, controversy flooded the internet. Motivated by the apparent reasoning that highly talented comedians Melissa McCarthy, Kristin Wiig, Leslie Jones, and Kate McKinnon weren’t suitable enough to don the Ghostbuster uniforms, an ongoing hate campaign has been directed at both director Paul Feig and his cast ever since.

It seems that when it comes to Ghostbusters, some fans may not be open to the idea of trying something different. Even recent praise for the new film from original franchise creator and co-writer Dan Aykroyd hasn’t stemmed the criticisms. Scorned by many as nothing more than biased, profit driven incentives, Aykroyd’s review just couldn’t seem to get a fair chance from a certain segment of the original franchise’s fanbase.

This being the case, news of a reworking of the Ghostbuster’s 1984 hit theme song by Ray Parker Jr will likely meet further resistance from some. However, for the remainder of Ghostbusters fans who are looking forward to the film’s upcoming release, the idea of hip-hop star Missy Elliott collaborating with Fall Out Boy will be a great opportunity to see what can be done with the 32-year-old track. The band’s official Twitter recently announced the collaboration.

There’s currently no word on a scheduled released date for the single, but at present the official soundtrack contains selections from Wolf Alice, Walk The Moon, Pentatonix, G-Eazy ft. Jeremih and 5 Seconds of Summer. The first single off the soundtrack, “Good Girls” by Elle King, was released June 3rd. There’s also no word as to whether or not this new incarnation of the Ghostbusters theme will contain any samples from Ray Parker Jr.’s original track.

ehhh...down for missy, at least! fortunately, we already have a theme for this movie

I still stand by my position that casting all females is a straight-up gimmick - and also, that people wouldn't be hating so much - if this were GB3 starring these exact same female comedians.

I understand the need to get people in those theater seats (it's ultimately a business...sadly) - and I also totally feel the pain of the unnecessary extinguishing of the classic franchise / universe.

Oscar as a Ghostbuster, man - the perfect generation-jump...damn, fools!

Ghostbusters so perfectly lends itself to the whole concept of 'franchise'. Blues Brothers 2000...that - that was just, no.

In my head, (geekin' over here) GB3 never starred the originals - it's always been kinda what they did w/ Extreme GB: a new generation, old gen passing the torch (whoever's still around).

Maybe it's been quite and the old equipment is 'old n' busted' and they hafta rebuild the equipment n' company - update as necessary: Classic Ecto-1 n' equipment w/ upgrades...this conversation just made me sad. LOL - it's really been the older fans screaming for more - and waiting decades for.

The butthurt from the hardcore is understandable. GB, man - that was the one that started that whole modern big-budget, epic comedy genre...Galaxy Quest, Spaceballs, Evolution, Land of the Lost, ect. - they all owe GB for knocking that door down. People consider that series sacred - it's impact is unquestionable, it's global. To not have expected blow-back by dismissing what's been established as...'unprofitable' is outright 'out-of-touch'. Wrong people in charge.

Just saying - if I were in that decision-making room and had voice and a vote: Make it GB3 w/out Bill Murray and get Oscar in there. Everything else - just make it funny as hell and cram as much eye candy in there as humanly possible. Sure the 13-14 year-old demographic might not be fighting to get in - but there is a huge fanbase that will be.

Kids are into what the older kids are into. If it's good - they'll check it out. Reboot cuz: 'a part 3 is hard to write...' is dookie. Reboot 'cuz: 'it's easier and safer and we can make more money that way' - sounds about right. I can totally see the film being perceived as an utterly disappointing venture to those original fans who kept the brand and demand alive - without seeing a single frame.

I ain't a hater, but I do think no GB3 sucks. I'll be checkin' out this flick - the eye-candy and tone feel right. No GB3 stings, though - I ain't gonna lie - LOL!

Yeah, got it Day One - it's the shit. Still play online. They need to cut that game's gameplay and cinematics all together, fix the fucking shameful lip synch issues during cut scenes (they finally get 'em all together, spend however much money...and their dialogue is outta synch during cut scenes) and just release it as it's own movie...on blu - LOL! Kinda like what they did w/ the Futurama PS2 video game - and they slapped it on the 'Beast w/ a Billion Backs' DVD as an extra.

Am I alone on this? Anybody prefer a 'passing the torch' GB3 over a rebooted origin story? Disagree w/ me at your peril...