Hondo's Bar

Ghostbusters (2016)

personally? i'm glad they're not calling it 3 - we had decades to get that, and it never happened, for a number of reasons. if egon's gone, murray's not interested in a big role, aykroyd (sp?) is down but old/outta shape and ernie hudson's the only one ready to go, i think i'm down for something new rather than half-assing a continuation of a beloved franchise.

it also makes sense putting the genie back in the bottle as far as ghosts go - writers might've felt there's only so many places to go when the OG team saved NY/the world twice already, and if you show them just broke/irrelevant again as the result of their past adventures, you're starting exactly where 2 did. i love those movies, but i can watch em anytime.

we weren't getting any ghostbusters, and now we are, possibly with some fun cameos from people who weren't up for a leading role. that sounds a lot more exciting than forcing something that the team didn't/couldn't do forever now, no?

I see that side - but, I say yeah! Start it like GB2: broke, irrelevant - shit happens, what're you gonna do? Have the new cast of scientists look up the OG: one's dead, Murray would probably walk in for a scene - if at all, but Aykroyd (sp?) and Hudson would gladly stick around for an Act to hand over the firehouse and equipment. Work in something w/ Oscar and bam - all new adventure for a new generation and a proper send off to old.

That's me being selfish and wanting things the way I want it - but I think people wouldn't be hatin' so much if it were an all-female sequel.

The issue w/ a sequel getting made was Murray - I always felt they should've just written him out. All I expected the OG to ever do would've been passing the torch. Franchising. Maybe suiting up at the very end to save the new blood and realize they're 'too old for this shit.' Again, if I had it my way. That would require a lot of creativity to make all that work...a lot easier to reboot, also a great opportunity to maximize box-office draw.

I hope Maurice LaMarche does Spengler's voice in the GB animated movie. They shouldn't abandon the established iconic universe.

2192379,4ed6S3v2zWk1GD6UDxN8BlwT0pTtOMusvGW2t6vM_WRbMtSCVai_EnHoxeVgiZb1aX+nfpXBgAMmtjWsCqzvHg==.jpg

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LOL - yeah, it's totally the logo of the Ghostbusters...come to life. Kinda like how Stay Puft is the logo of a marshmallow brand...come to life. You don't think...naaaw.

There's rumor of who the villain of the sequel is going to be:

monalisa.jpg

Then part 3 is gonna be a reboot - you can't save the world twice from ghosts and make it work. heyheyhey.gif LOL

• Upvote 1

LOL - yeah, it's totally the logo of the Ghostbusters...come to life. Kinda like how Stay Puft is the logo of a marshmallow brand...come to life. You don't think...naaaw.

There's rumor of who the villain of the sequel is going to be:

monalisa.jpg

Then part 3 is gonna be a reboot - you can't save the world twice from ghosts and make it work. heyheyhey.gif LOL

I see what you did there. . . and I like it.

Damn, you beat me to it. I've been trying to post this for an hour, but I couldn't get the embedded code through my mobile device!

In regards to the trailer, apparently Leslie Jones is playing the blue-collar 'everyman' (everywoman??) role a la Winston. It's 2016 people, we can't have a black scientist??

In regards to the trailer, apparently Leslie Jones is playing the blue-collar 'everyman' (everywoman??) role a la Winston. It's 2016 people, we can't have a black scientist??

I thought the SAME THING! That was disappointing. I have a feeling she's gonna steal this, though. I haven't enjoyed SNL in years, but she's been the funniest thing on it for a while now. And she's also the only part of the trailer that actually made me laugh...

Edited by Donatella

I thought it was border-line blasphemous at the beginning to show the original firehouse and mention the original Ghostbusters.

They might as well have run a montage of the original movies before 'A new team will answer the call' Totally insinuating this is some form of continuation to the casual movie-goer.

Aside from that - m'eh...especially that bit with the female Egon wearing that wig. That theme song gets me going, though! Maybe a second trailer will sell me - but so far, m'eh. It really does have the feel of a live-action cartoon...which has that going for it...?

I thought it was border-line blasphemous at the beginning to show the original firehouse and mention the original Ghostbusters.

They might as well have run a montage of the original movies before 'A new team will answer the call' Totally insinuating this is some form of continuation to the casual movie-goer.

Like Prometheus, the filming of this movie has been plagued with identity issues stemming from "is it a sequel or reboot or re-sequel".

I don't think you'll have that answer until the film is released.

I think the director (Paul Feig) and writer (Katie Dippold) have been pretty clear that this is a reboot and not a sequel. I just read this in Gizmodo earlier today:

Make no mistake, despite the cameos, and the recognizable people, places and music, this new Ghostbusters is a reboot, not a sequel. The film-makers wanted to start from scratch, so this world, and these characters, would have to earn their place.

“To say ghosts have existed for 30 years [would be] a different world,” Dippold said. “In the original it’s so fun to see the ghosts unleashed for the first time and we didn’t want to skip over it.”

Plus, Feig added, “I didn’t like the idea of them being handed technology. I wanted to see it developed.”

I think the stuff at the beginning of the trailer was just a nod to the original, but it really does make it look like a sequel to those who haven't been following the production since its inception!

Seems like this movie is gonna have a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing going when it comes to including anything about the original movies.

Edited by Donatella

...and then Dan Aykroyd shows up as the villain.

As for damned if you do, damned if you don't - - like we've talked about on our show a few times, the internet is going to shit all over you when it comes to these things until they see it and like it. They like to be able to walk out and say: I told you it was bad. But if they like it, its all: Well im glad they didn't fuck up my childhood.

See - black stormtroopers

See - Evil Dead

etc, etc....

Goddamn, I am really behind on the times. Don't know nothin' 'bout no podcasting...couldn't define it if I were paid to. I don't have a podcast provider - but I clicked the link. That's cool. As soon as I get caught up w/ the modern world and own a smart phone - I'll check you out fo' sho'.

Panch, then why in the hell would you pay to see a flick feeling like that? What? (shrugs) Something to do? Curiosity?

If the next trailer doesn't get my mojo risin', "Yaaargh! It's the Redbox for ye!"

So far, this is lookin' like a straight-up remake: I bet the 'old woman at the library' is the first ghost they encounter, Slimer is the first ghost they bust and they fight a giant logo at the end. "It'll be everything you love about the originals, but bigger and louder!" - LOL. If that's the case: pass. I'll Redbox the cool FX.

I'm pretty much done w/ going to the theater - at least, during that opening window. Only flick I'm lookin' forward to off the top of my head is Civil War...and Jungle Book.

This trailer has been out for 11 hours and it's getting Jem and the Holograms / Metroid Prime: Federation Force levels of dislikes on youtube. Holy. Shit.

Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones do look pretty cool. That trailer was all over the place though.

Yeah, the tone of the trailer felt uneven. Also agreed on the actresses looking good in the rolls. I even liked the McCarthy possession sequence, which felt like it revealed a bit too much of the plot but it was still funny.